• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Uh Oh Bluejays

• Thread starter Deleted member 3889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3889

https://www.omaha.com/creighton/men...cle_5efd33c5-459d-5fa7-972f-244077019ddb.html

Creighton was implicated Thursday in a college basketball corruption trial that has produced several accusations about the sport’s under-the-table dealings, particularly as it relates to payment allegedly promised to a one-time Bluejay recruit.

According to reported testimony from his father in a New York federal courtroom Thursday, Brian Bowen and his family had an offer in place from CU assistant coach Preston Murphy to receive $100,000 and a “lucrative” job — if Bowen signed with Creighton.

You’re just jealous because Miles only offers some Super Kmart coupons and a 1974 Gremlin (low mileage though)

I told that cheap melon farmer to upgrade to Target coupons. He didn't listen.

If true, I hope anyone on this list gets hit with sanctions that bite. Regarding Creighton, I wouldn’t be suprised one bit if it were true. It’s well known in Lincoln that the assistant coach in question is a dirty ass recruiter.

Just heard about this....interesting to say the least.

Random thoughts for now....

So CU said they did an internal investigation. But they havent fired Murphy. You'd think they'd boost him pronto if they were concerned?

If true I doubt goes beyond Bowen. CU has recruited well but not beyond where you might expect. Bowen is, by far, the most high profile potential Jays recruit since Benoit Benjamin. I'm not concerned about Patton... When CU offered him I don't think hardly anyone is recruiting him and as far as I remember he pretty much committed on the spot. That said...it was odd that CU stayed in the conversation with him as long as they did.

If true I honestly believe Mac would not have been privy. A rogue assistant and a booster could pull this off. If Mac was all about needing to be a final 4 guy he would have taken the Ohio state job. I just don't think he is "that guy".

Bowen Sr. And his son are trash. Say what you will about the fairness of the system...it is what it is. Doesn't mean he is lying. But I'll need more than his word to get too worried about this. Text messages...emails...voice mails? This guys is singing to save his ass so his word isn't good enough for me.

Murphy should go if this even has a whiff of impropriety.

College recruiting, basketball in particular, is a dirty business. I'm not saying Murphy isn't dirty. He very well could be and if so...deal with it. But I guarantee CU doesn't rise to the level of filth that programs like Louisville, Arizona, etc. do...if they are that dirty they are really really bad at it.

Last edited:

So CU said they did an internal investigation. But they havent fired Murphy. You'd think they'd boost him pronto if they were concerned?

If true I doubt goes beyond Bowen. CU has recruited well but not beyond where you might expect. Bowen is, by far, the most high profile potential Jays recruit since Benoit Benjamin. I'm not concerned about Patton... When CU offered him I don't think hardly anyone is recruiting him and as far as I remember he pretty much committed on the spot. That said...it was odd that CU stayed in the conversation with him as long as they did.

If true I honestly believe Mac would not have been privy. A rogue assistant and a booster could pull this off. If Mac was all about needing to be a final 4 guy he would have taken the Ohio state job. I just don't think he is "that guy".

Bowen Sr. And his son are trash. Say what you will about the fairness of the system...it is what it is. Doesn't mean he is lying. But I'll need more than his word to get too worried about this. Text messages...emails...voice mails? This guys is singing to save his ass so his word isn't good enough for me.

College recruiting, basketball in particular, is a dirty business. I'm not saying Murphy isn't dirty. He very well could be and if so...deal with it. But I guarantee CU doesn't rise to the level of filth that programs like Louisville, Arizona, etc. do...if they are that dirty they are really really bad at it.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but honest question, how is he covering his butt? Is it an unreported income issue like tax evasion? I am just not familiar with the full story.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but honest question, how is he covering his butt? Is it an unreported income issue like tax evasion? I am just not familiar with the full story.
I honestly don't know...haven't followed that close. I assume it is something like that. It's a "fraud" case so maybe they were able to threaten him with a fraud of some sort.

I read a story once where everyone cheated in the Olympics by changing the athletes genes to give them an advantage. The author's answer was to have the Olympic committee accept every complaint and disqualify every athlete. They ended up with small countries like Lichtenstein winning medals.

Maybe that's the reaction the NCAA should have: every school which cheated gets the death penalty for a year or two. Would be interesting if nothing else.

Totally agree with what you said bilsker. If Creighton finds any warts in this mess then cut them off quick. Otherwise, it's just another bb father playing the system.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back