• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trip to Texas A&M

Been to the Bush Library a couple of times and would go back again if in the area. They are always changing things up so there’s something different to see every time.

TAMU is one of my favorite places to see a CFB game. I haven't been since they enclosed the endzone, I suppose that means gone are the days of being on the field as the teams come out. Many/most of the traditions are due to it being one of the few Universities with a full time Corp of Cadets. Memorial Student Center is a living memorial to fallen Aggies, thus the request to not walk on the grass and remove your hat when entering. They have yell leaders vs cheerleaders who are cadets and they do the spirit practice the night before. It's one of the few places I will make of point of watching the band and I don't know why any Husker fan wouldn't want to sway along to the war hymn with the added verse of saw Varsity's horns off. There are stories behind the 12th Man and Gig Em.

I guess I like going to college towns to hang with the locals and get to know their traditions and quirks. I've been to a lot of stadiums wearing Husker gear and never had an issue. There has been heckling, but that happens to some degree everywhere (I've seen it at Nebraska) and just haven't had a problem putting it on ignore.

Has anyone here been asked the question what is in Lincoln besides the University?

I had a blast in college station when I went down for the 17-2 penalty debacle (other than the game). Yes stay off the grass, the cadets will tackle you if you walk on certain grass. Yell practice is pretty cool, but honestly the student section is more impressive during the games. We had a lot of fun going out to the bars before and after yell practice. Can't remember any of the names, but one had a rattlesnake in it.

They also have a scoreboard outside the stadium for all of the dead collies buried outside to see the score of the game.

I'm not really much of a fan of Houston. However, just by sheer size, it has more to see and do than College Station. But for a very large city, Houston is rather blah by comparison to other large metropolitan areas across the U.S.

Granted, I'm biased, but Austin, San Antonio, and the Hill Country top my list.
I love Kemah and Galveston area. Of course I'm a bar and water type of guy.

I love the Aggie band, I watch some youtube videos everyonce in a while. Love the history and tradition but I don't care for the football team. The only 'conflict' with Aggie fans was at the Alamo Dome in the Big 12 championship game. I was seated in the Nebraska section and it was all Huskers except 2 Aggie's. I understand they stand and lean over when they do their yells but these 2 had two older ladies in front of them and continuously yelled right into the back of their heads. Didn't have a problem with the yells or standing but they didn't have to yell right into their ears. But we spanked the Aggies so all was good in the end.:Huskerflag:

Last time I was there was during the Solich era and Bobby Newcombe was our QB. I remember Newcombe was sacked for a safety and it was all over and the place went crazy. I accidentally wore my Huskers hat in one of their buildings and that's a big no-no. They'll keep coming at you to tell you to take it off.

It's definitely a bucket-list place to watch a game, right up there with Lincoln quite honestly.

Last edited:
Last time I was there was during the Solich era and Bobby Newcombe was our QB. I remember Newcombe was sacked for a safety and it was all over and the place went crazy. I accidentally wore my Huskers hat in one of their buildings and that's a big no-no. They'll keep coming at you to tell you to take it off.

It's definitely a bucket-list place to watch a game, right up there with Lincoln quite honestly.
You wish, and we all wish, it was a safety. Fumble recovery in the end-zone for a TD.

And Jamar Toombs (huge FB) had the longest run of his life but got tackled just short of the goal line. And we gave up a long bomb for a TD.

Last edited:
A group of us are planning on attending the Texas A&M vs Clemson football game at College Station in September. Looking for some advice on what are must sees in the area. We have lodging set up already. Will arrive Wednesday before game and leave Sunday.

I guess you can cross off visiting Coach Kevin Sumlin’s old office from your must see list. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You wish, and we all wish, it was a safety. Fumble recovery in the end-zone for a TD.

And Jamar Toombs (huge FB) had the longest run of his life but got tackled just short of the goal line. And we gave up a long bomb for a TD.

Yeah it was a melt down. Crouch should have played.

We used to live in College Station. It's a nice place to live but there aren't necessarily a ton of things to do though it has really grown since we left so my list is probably a little dated. The bar with the rattlesnakes is the Dixie Chicken. Messina Hof Winery is in Bryan. You can tour and taste test. Downtown Bryan has some restaurants (I always liked Mr. G.'s Pizzeria) and has made an effort be a cultural area. I hear they've restored a vintage single screen theater and I think there are some live music events at the Palace and Grand Stafford Theater. The Bush Museum is well done. The two places that were big for country music and two-stepping when we were there are out of business but I'd guess there's some new places. Food-wise, someone mentioned Koppe Bridge and I like C & J BBQ. Christopher's World Grille is a decent higher end restaurant. The locals all seems to really like Cafe Eccell in Bryan. I liked it but not to the degree many others did.

It's a fun environment. I didn't see any Husker games there, but saw a few others. One of the big highlights for me was always the band. They're pretty incredible. I advise staying in the stands for halftime.

We were at that game too. We also were upset about the officiating. But we didn't experience any unpleasantness from any aTm fans. We spent the evening in one of the RV lots. Many fans were raucous of course, but none of it was directed at us.

there were no unpleasantries from aTm fans. It was more like they would give a war whoop, and all fans within earshot would parrot it (similar to go big red....GO BIG RED!).

It annoyed her to the past the point of no return.

there were no unpleasantries from aTm fans. It was more like they would give a war whoop, and all fans within earshot would parrot it (similar to go big red....GO BIG RED!).

It annoyed her to the past the point of no return.
Yeah, those did get annoying. :)
we were camping in the RV lot so we heard them all evening and the next day as well

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back