• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Trip to Texas A&M

NoDakRed

Recruit
5 Year Member
A group of us are planning on attending the Texas A&M vs Clemson football game at College Station in September. Looking for some advice on what are must sees in the area. We have lodging set up already. Will arrive Wednesday before game and leave Sunday.

Must sees in College Station? The sign on the way out of town :)

In all seriousness, never been for a game but I know the midnight yell the night before is supposed to be pretty cool. It's when the whole cult gets together to practice their cheers for the next day. Northgate is the big bar area I'm familiar with and I'm sure this would be a nice area to kick off the day but I do know they have a ton of RVs and tailgates set up around the stadium like we do that are all pretty friendly. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but hopefully it's a little helpful at least.

A group of us are planning on attending the Texas A&M vs Clemson football game at College Station in September. Looking for some advice on what are must sees in the area. We have lodging set up already. Will arrive Wednesday before game and leave Sunday.

I dare you to wear your husker gear. I double dog dare you.:lilred:

Must sees in College Station? The sign on the way out of town :)

In all seriousness, never been for a game but I know the midnight yell the night before is supposed to be pretty cool. It's when the whole cult gets together to practice their cheers for the next day. Northgate is the big bar area I'm familiar with and I'm sure this would be a nice area to kick off the day but I do know they have a ton of RVs and tailgates set up around the stadium like we do that are all pretty friendly. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but hopefully it's a little helpful at least.

:Mfclap:

Last edited:

To avoid being chastised, don't walk on the grass on campus, and be sure to remove your hat if you go inside one of their buildings. They are a weird breed/brood for sure. I was there when we won in 2006 and I'd say the town then wasn't all that fun. The fans were very respectful though, even if they believed Purify pushed off on that late TD. Every fan I encountered was pure class, even those who thanked us for sending them Bill Byrne.

Last edited:
We were there in 2010, the 6-9 loss. We got there a few hours before the game, and left immediately afterward. My wife at the time almost got into a fight with every aTm fan she came across on the walk to the car. She was pretty upset over the officiating.

I would agree on the yell practice. Not sure about the area around the game.

I'm sure its a great place to hang out and have a beer, but I would guess if your politics aren't fairly right-wing, you may not get along with most of the Aggies.

We were at that game too. We also were upset about the officiating. But we didn't experience any unpleasantness from any aTm fans. We spent the evening in one of the RV lots. Many fans were raucous of course, but none of it was directed at us.

It's 2 hours to either downtown Houston or downtown Austin. Or less than 90 minutes to the outskirts.

Trip Advisor lists the Bush Library as the #1 thing to see/do in College Station and Kyle Field as #2. That says about all you need to know as far as fun activities are concerned. ;) It's basically a college town that would be quite small and sleepy minus A&M. Similar in size to Champaign, IL. I'm sure there's some fine restaurants and bars, however.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55649-Activities-College_Station_Texas.html

Last edited:
It's 2 hours to either downtown Houston or downtown Austin. Or less than 90 minutes to the outskirts.

Trip Advisor lists the Bush Library as the #1 thing to see/do in College Station and Kyle Field as #2. That says about all you need to know as far as fun activities are concerned. ;) It's basically a college town that would be quite small and sleepy minus A&M. Similar in size to Champaign, IL. I'm sure there's some fine restaurants and bars, however.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55649-Activities-College_Station_Texas.html
Generally agree. But you overstate, the town only exists BECAUSE of the University. The rail road called it college station because the school was the only thing there when they were building it.

BTW, there isn’t much worth seeing in Houston either!

Last edited:
Great job getting lodging. A number of Aggie fans we know have bought condos due to the cost and difficulty of getting lodging and the night games.

Restaurants are rather bleak. OK, at best, fine dining (high end) is second tier. My favorite as a parent was Koppe Bridge Bar & Grill. Good burger and fries. A bunch of chains. See if you can get yourself invited to a tailgate.

Generally agree. But you overstate, the town only exists BECAUSE of the University. The rail road called it college station because the school was the only thing there when they were building it.

BTW, there isn’t much worth seeing in Houston either!

I'm not really much of a fan of Houston. However, just by sheer size, it has more to see and do than College Station. But for a very large city, Houston is rather blah by comparison to other large metropolitan areas across the U.S.

Granted, I'm biased, but Austin, San Antonio, and the Hill Country top my list.

I'm not really much of a fan of Houston. However, just by sheer size, it has more to see and do than College Station. But for a very large city, Houston is rather blah by comparison to other large metropolitan areas across the U.S.

Granted, I'm biased, but Austin, San Antonio, and the Hill Country top my list.
I agree. The Nimitz Museum of the Pacific Theater would be a good place to start. But Fredericksburg is a pretty big drive. I’d probably leave it at Austin. They might also want to check out Washington on the Brazos and other places around Brenham.

But you overstate, the town only exists BECAUSE of the University. The rail road called it college station because the school was the only thing there when they were building it.

The same can be said for oh, about 100 percent of the land grant universities out there.

A big game at Kyle Field should be on any college football fan's bucket list, as well as game in Lincoln, Pasadena, Ann Arbor, the Horse Shoe, Army-Navy, and south Bend. I might toss Happy Valley, Death Valley, and Tuscaloosa in that batch too.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back