• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tre Bryant // Who will lead the lead Huskers in Rushing?

Who will lead the Huskers in Rushing?

• Tre Bryant

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Devine Ozigbo

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Mikale Wilbon

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Maurice Washington

• Miles Jones

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Wyatt Mazour

• Greg Bell III

Votes: 54 50.5%
  • Jaylin Bradley

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other/Walk-on

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I'd say Bryant or Bell. Or it could be Washington or Jones.

Disappointed in wilbon and not sure about Oz.

If a QB leads us in rushing we'll have problems this year.

I think Wilbon has been a hue disappointment. When a top rated running back comes in from one of the sunny states down south, and doesn't pan out I say. Meh, kid could not handle the cold. However when a kid from the upper midwest does not pan out it bus me more.

I don't disagree. Kind of a crap shoot with the Bryant situation, so I'm hoping the staff can bring out the talent a guy like Wilbon obviously possesses. Hard to know who will react well to the extra work as well.

You are mistaken. You did not post a comment on that thread.

If you are going to complain about POB being written off, then you need to take a stand for him. You can do that by telling us where you think he will finish on the post spring depth chart and why.

You claim everyone is writing him off because of a bad game last year against Minnesota. That is a silly, unfounded assumption.

The reason why I am not bullish on POB is because Verduzco and Frost have publicly stated they want an athletic QB who can tuck the ball and run. I happen to think there are 3 QBs on our roster who are more athletic and can run better than POB and my opinion has nothing to do with POB's poor stats in the Minnesota game. It is based solely on how he looks when he plays the game.

Not only are you contradicting HCSF on POB, you are doing it in an RB discussion that was going OK. C'mon man.

I'd say Bryant or Bell. Or it could be Washington or Jones.

Disappointed in wilbon and not sure about Oz.

If a QB leads us in rushing we'll have problems this year.

Unfortunately, our O-line play was such a mess, none of our guys but pre-injury Tre Bryant could shake themselves loose and get yards on their own.

I'd expect between improved conditioning, improved scheme, and improved line play including downfield blocking (yes, linemen can run that far,) some of those RB's will look a bunch different this year.

Unfortunately, our O-line play was such a mess, none of our guys but pre-injury Tre Bryant could shake themselves loose and get yards on their own.

I'd expect between improved conditioning, improved scheme, and improved line play including downfield blocking (yes, linemen can run that far,) some of those RB's will look a bunch different this year.
That's a big factor too.

You are mistaken. You did not post a comment on that thread.

If you are going to complain about POB being written off, then you need to take a stand for him. You can do that by telling us where you think he will finish on the post spring depth chart and why.

You claim everyone is writing him off because of a bad game last year against Minnesota. That is a silly, unfounded assumption.

The reason why I am not bullish on POB is because Verduzco and Frost have publicly stated they want an athletic QB who can tuck the ball and run. I happen to think there are 3 QBs on our roster who are more athletic and can run better than POB and my opinion has nothing to do with POB's poor stats in the Minnesota game. It is based solely on how he looks when he plays the game.

Your are in the wrong thread, quit derailing this one.

C

Bryant's knees are such a wild card . . . who knows what shape he's in or how he'll fare. Was there ever any info released as to what it was that got repaired after he went out? I just have doubts that he can hold up--even with the ball distribution likely to be pretty generous in Frost's system. If he can stay healthy, he'll get plenty of carries.

I think Frost will get more out of Ziggy than Riley/Langs did, but I think he'll lose out reps to guys like Bradley, Bell and Washington who have the speed and the moves. Maybe he gets more goal line and short yardage work?

I'm going to say that leading rusher will probably be either Bryant, Bell or Washington. Bradley has a shot as well. If I had to pick one just based on doubts about Bryant's durability--I'd say Bell.

UCFS's 2nd leading rusher last season was McKenzie Milton. Our best running QBs should have been included on the list.

This is not going to be a grind it out rushing offense. It will be a quick strike offense that spreads the rushing attempts between RBs, QBs and WRs. Because of this, a QB who can run like Adrian Martinez could become our leading rusher in 2018.

A look at UCF's leading rushers during their 13-0 campaign

1. Adrian Killins - 5'8", 155 lbs - sophomore - 122 rushing attempts, 790 total yards
2. McKenzie Milton - 5'11", 180 lbs - sophomore - 106 rushing attempts, 613 total yards
3. Otis Anderson - 5'11", 165 lbs - freshman - 69 rushing attempts, 494 total yards
4. Taj McGowan - 6'1", 200 lbs - junior - 69 rushing attempts, 235 total yards
5. Cordarrian Richardson - 6.0" 240 lbs - freshman - 45 rushing attempts, 161 total yards
6. Greg McCrae - 5'10", 175 lbs - freshman - 26 rushing attempts, 151 total yards

Adrian Killins and Otis Anderson were the 2 fastest players on UCF's offense. Those two RBs got the most carries. The QB got the 2nd most number of carries. The big bruiser Coarrdarian Richardson was primarily used inside the 10 yard line and on other short yardage situations.

IMO, SF's offense is going to incorporate as much speed as he can, to include the QB position.

Interesting that 3 of UCF's top 6 rushers were true freshmen and 2 were true sophomores.

To be the leading rusher in 2018, you must first get on the field. More than anything, speed will get you on the field.

That being the case, I'd say Bell, Jones and Martinez have the best chance to get a lot of rushing attempts and become our leading rusher. Right behind would be Washington, Bryant, Wilbon and Bradley.

Last season Otis Anderson started out primarily as a WR and then moved full time to RB. We have lots of WR who could be converted (or occasionally used) as speedy RBs such as JD Speilman, Tyjon Lindsey, Jaevon McQuintly and Mike Williams.

Inbound JUCO WR Jaron Jaron Woodyard will probably be our fastest offensive player. I expect to see him get some carries this year.

Ozigbo's power will get him carries on a situational basis.

Last edited:

At the end of the day, I don't if it matters who leads the Huskers in rushing - HCSF has already demonstrated at UCF that a lot of guys will get carries.

Question for me is who will be the 4th QTR 'bell-cow' to close out a game, particularly when a defense is gassed ... I could see both Bell & Ozigbo sharing those duties.

Last edited:
Frost runs behind full flow play-action, which favors Ozigbo early on. A speed back will unseat him.

UCFS's 2nd leading rusher last season was McKenzie Milton. Our best running QBs should have been included on the list.

This is not going to be a grind it out rushing offense. It will be a quick strike offense that spreads the rushing attempts between RBs, QBs and WRs. Because of this, a QB who can run like Adrian Martinez could become our leading rusher in 2018.

1. Adrian Killins - 5'8", 155 lbs - sophomore - 122 rushing attempts, 790 total yards
2. McKenzie Milton - 5'11", 180 lbs - sophomore - 106 rushing attempts, 613 total yards
3. Otis Anderson - 5'11", 165 lbs - freshman - 69 rushing attempts, 494 total yards
5. Cordarrian Richardson - 6.0" 240 lbs - freshman - 45 rushing attempts, 161 total yards
6. Greg McCrae - 5'10", 175 lbs - freshman - 26 rushing attempts, 151 total yards

Adrian Killins and Otis Anderson were the 2 fastest players on UCF's offense. Those two RBs got the most carries. The QB got the 2nd most number of carries. The big bruiser Coarrdarian Richardson was primarily used inside the 10 yard line and on other short yardage situations.

IMO, SF's offense is going to incorporate as much speed as he can, to include the QB position.

Interesting that 3 of UCF's top 6 rushers were true freshmen and 2 were true sophomores.

To be the leading rusher in 2018, you must first get on the field. More than anything, speed will get you on the field.

That being the case, I'd say Bell, Jones and Martinez have the best chance to get a lot of rushing attempts and become our leading rusher. Right behind would be Washington, Bryant, Wilbon and Bradley.

Last season Otis Anderson started out primarily as a WR and then moved full time to RB. We have lots of WR who could be converted (or occasionally used) as speedy RBs such as JD Speilman, Tyjon Lindsey, Jaevon McQuintly and Mike Williams.

Inbound JUCO WR Jaron Jaron Woodyard will probably be our fastest offensive player. I expect to see him get some carries this year.

The QB's would appear to be included in the "Other/Walk-on" category. No need to further derail the thread, besides no one knows who our "best" running QB's are at this point.

Last edited:
Bryant has too much uncertainty with his knee(s), at least from the sounds of it last season. Ozigbo is too slow for this offense, in my opinion. Could be a good goal line back, but that's about it. Wilbon, while quick, does not seem to have the home-run burst they'll want for this offense. I say Bell, but I could see Bradley or Washington surprising. I"m just glad we have new guys here now at the position. We just didn't seem to have enough overall athletic ability at the position before to make a big play in the running game when needed against good teams.

Last edited:

Great question. Ask it again in September when we have clarified some of the many unknowns and see how the poll looks then. My guess is that at least one of the RBs that no one is talking much about will have become part of the offense - someone like Mazur maybe. But I would not assume that the QB we start will run for as many yards as Milton did. That guy was a perfect fit for the system and was himself a really smart QB who could run and pass well. At this point there is no way to know if we have that in the house. So I would assume the running load will be carried by the RBs, just as it was in the UCF play last year. RBs carried for three times as many yards as Milton.

But you didn't vote for 'other' ?

I'd expect improved conditioning and improved scheme to lead to improved line play. :Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Back