• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tom Osborne vs. Nick Saban — who is the best coach of all time?

I don't count cheaters.

Well, I am by no means a "Bama fan, but do you know something nobody else knows? I mean, with Ol' Miss pretty much everyone knew what was coming, there was no doubt about Penn State or even SMU back in the day. So, serious question: what's happening at "Bama?

Well, I am by no means a "Bama fan, but do you know something nobody else knows? I mean, with Ol' Miss pretty much everyone knew what was coming, there was no doubt about Penn State or even SMU back in the day. So, serious question: what's happening at "Bama?
For one, they put overrated players on medical hardships so they can re-issue the scholarship to a new player.

Bottom line 6-3 Sir Nick case closed
Saban has had some amazingly good fortune to win 5 of the 6 championships with a loss. Only one undefeated team. While every NU championship took an undefeated record.

Especially the 2 times he didn’t even win his division and ended up a NC. It’s hard to compare based on that because he’s playing under a different set of rules.

Proof pal? Jealous? Probably so Get over it Sir Nick will probably retire in 10 years Dabo comes and retiresv20 years after that Can you say dynasty pal?
FB_IMG_1515695404178.jpg

Again, I think it depends on how you define greatest coach. Saban at Bama is basically an unstoppable force right now. They bring in top class after top class and demolish teams with superior talent and depth and his work ethic is almost unparalleled. He churns through players though and doesn't build relationships like other guys do.

Osborne was a terrific X's and O's coach, didn't have an immediate talent pool at his disposal and we all know how well he connected with his guys. He also put together a run in the 90s that will likely never be matched by anyone, not even Bama.

But it doesn't necessarily stop there... what about Bill Walsh, Bill Belichik, Bear Bryant, etc.? So if we're just debating Osborne vs Saban, I think most of us will take Osborne out of bias and out of what we grew to appreciate in a coach. But it's hard to discredit Saban for the success he is having right now

Again, I think it depends on how you define greatest coach. Saban at Bama is basically an unstoppable force right now. They bring in top class after top class and demolish teams with superior talent and depth and his work ethic is almost unparalleled. He churns through players though and doesn't build relationships like other guys do.

Osborne was a terrific X's and O's coach, didn't have an immediate talent pool at his disposal and we all know how well he connected with his guys. He also put together a run in the 90s that will likely never be matched by anyone, not even Bama.

But it doesn't necessarily stop there... what about Bill Walsh, Bill Belichik, Bear Bryant, etc.? So if we're just debating Osborne vs Saban, I think most of us will take Osborne out of bias and out of what we grew to appreciate in a coach. But it's hard to discredit Saban for the success he is having right now
Yep Well stated

No. They hide it extremely well. It's kind of like work comp fraud. Very difficult to detect.
get over the fact they currently have 37 Under Armor players on the roster. Their 3rd team would start for Nebraska right now. DONU has a total of 2

No. They hide it extremely well. It's kind of like work comp fraud. Very difficult to detect.

Here's an article from a few years ago explaining what you're referring to: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...er-front-its-still-alabama-and-everyone-else/

FWIW, everything they do is within the "rules" in the SEC but until the P5/NCAA creates consistency among conferences in regards to schedule, scholarships, etc., this kind of stuff will continue to happen. It's sort of like what we used to do with partial qualifiers. It was perfectly legal at the time and we took complete advantage of it.

It should be pretty easy to look up Alabama players that have gone on medical hardship. I'll see if I can dig around and find some names.....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back