• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Time to speculate on who the new coach might be

Although the guy is an arse on the sidelines and somewhat off the court....I think Rex Walters could be a good option, he is under the radar, young and doing good things at San Francsico, they run a full court trapping D and he likes active guards with solid forwards..... and with TO in the skybox I think he would clean up his image as it pertains to "disgruntled messages"

over on the Gonzaga board I post on another poster mentioned that Andy Katz stated Nebraska is interested in Walters....anyone know if there is truth to this?

over on the Gonzaga board I post on another poster mentioned that Andy Katz stated Nebraska is interested in Walters....anyone know if there is truth to this?

YES! Well, actually, I doubt anyone here really would know. :)

I'll throw out Tim Jankovich's name again.

In the 5 years prior to taking over Illinois State they won 8, 19, 17, 9 and 15 games.

In his 5 years there he's won 25, 24, 22, 12, and 21 with 4 NIT appearances. This season's team has no seniors...a young team on the rise.

Prior to his head coach gig at ISU he was at Vandy for 3 years, Illinois for 1 and KU for 4 years so the talent level needed in the Big 10 wouldn't be a mystery.

As for recruiting it's hard to say. Again, he won't be a stranger to the talent level needed. And being a HC in Illinois for the last 5 years I'm sure he's made himself familiar with head coaches in Big 10 country.

I wouldn't freak out too much about the fact that he hasn't taken them to the dance. I think there are times when that particular "accomplishment" ends up making some coaches hotter than maybe they should be.

The more I think about shaka smart the less I'm convinced he's a lead pipe lock for success. VCU averaged 25 wins in the 3 seasons before he got there. Was last year an aberation or a sign that he's the next coming Coach K? It was an amazing run. Yes. But I'm not so sure he's "can't miss".

I'm taking his tweet to mean he knows NU has made contact; from Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World:

- SMU and Nebraska the first two of what should be many to contact ORU coach Scott Sutton's agent to judge his interest.

I'll throw out Tim Jankovich's name again.

In the 5 years prior to taking over Illinois State they won 8, 19, 17, 9 and 15 games.

In his 5 years there he's won 25, 24, 22, 12, and 21 with 4 NIT appearances. This season's team has no seniors...a young team on the rise.

Prior to his head coach gig at ISU he was at Vandy for 3 years, Illinois for 1 and KU for 4 years so the talent level needed in the Big 10 wouldn't be a mystery.

As for recruiting it's hard to say. Again, he won't be a stranger to the talent level needed. And being a HC in Illinois for the last 5 years I'm sure he's made himself familiar with head coaches in Big 10 country.

I wouldn't freak out too much about the fact that he hasn't taken them to the dance. I think there are times when that particular "accomplishment" ends up making some coaches hotter than maybe they should be.

The more I think about shaka smart the less I'm convinced he's a lead pipe lock for success. VCU averaged 25 wins in the 3 seasons before he got there. Was last year an aberation or a sign that he's the next coming Coach K? It was an amazing run. Yes. But I'm not so sure he's "can't miss".
Wasn't Jankovich an assitant at Kansas?

I'm taking his tweet to mean he knows NU has made contact; from Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World:

- SMU and Nebraska the first two of what should be many to contact ORU coach Scott Sutton's agent to judge his interest.

No thanks on the Scott Sutton front.

The mention of steve alford, could be a good one, I believe he was at a div 2 school in missouri b4 going to Iowa, he had a few good teams in iowa, but it didnt pan out for him there. ----- I lived in cedar falls at the time, and went to some games and talked daily about Iowa BB will lots of guys. I think it was too big of a job, too early in his career, because he was competing against, bob knight, gene keady, tom izzo, i think steve fischer was still there, wisc was pretty good then too, Ill wasnt too bad, and neither was Minn, who went to a couple tournaments. I think the competition was just too much for a guy that young, but hey, he has 8+ years more experience now, winning experience too. He might be worth a look. Where ever he goes, he still draws attention, and exposure. I dont think the big 10 is as competitive as it was 10 years ago, (still too much for nebr), but he might work out.

Alford took SW Missouri State to the Big Dance Sweet Sixteen. Had reasonable success at Iowa; but, it was his arrogance and wanting to be treated like the king of Iowa City that caused the fans to turn against him.

I heard on KFAB this morning (16 March) that Osborne had tried very hard to get Ben Howland of UCLA, but was unsuccessful. Seems like TO may be serious about a high-profile hire.

I heard on KFAB this morning (16 March) that Osborne had tried very hard to get Ben Howland of UCLA, but was unsuccessful. Seems like TO may be serious about a high-profile hire.

Ben Howland? The guy who let the inmates run the asylum this year at UCLA? I would have thought leadership qualities would be higher up on the wishlist than that.

Groce is a realistic option.

Alford is a **********, but I think he is a good coach. The Iowa job is almost as bad as NUs. No one has been poached more than the state of Iowa has by the Kansas Jayhawks.

I still vote Bob Knight.

Ben Howland? The guy who let the inmates run the asylum this year at UCLA? I would have thought leadership qualities would be higher up on the wishlist than that.

From what I hear that story was more hatchet job than reality...fwiw.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back