• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts on Pete Rose

It is unfortunate because he played the game clean. The fact that this thread didn't get a response for a week indicates that his chances aren't improving as time passes.

I disagree. By gambling he placed the most basic fundamental integrity of the game in jeopardy. Then we would have professional wrestling. All who enter a clubhouse have known since the Black Sox debacle that to gamble is to be gone...permanently.

I wasn't stating that he deserves to be in the HOF because he did gamble on games including the Reds. I was stating that it is unfortunate that he had the non steroid enhanced skills to be in the HOF but blew it by gambling. If he didn't gamble he would have made it on the first ballot. If any of the steroid junkies make it that would lower the credibility of the HOF.

I wasn't stating that he deserves to be in the HOF because he did gamble on games including the Reds. I was stating that it is unfortunate that he had the non steroid enhanced skills to be in the HOF but blew it by gambling. If he didn't gamble he would have made it on the first ballot. If any of the steroid junkies make it that would lower the credibility of the HOF.

I get your point now on "played clean". HOF credibility re steroids/other stuff is separate issue and a problem for me as well.
As to Rose, in my book, he blew it all with gambling, out of baseball permanently and no HOF.

He should be in the HOF, I don't care if he did bet on baseball, or if he bet on his own team, I would only care if he bet against his team. Betting on his team only shows me that he wanted to win.

Sorry, Max, so does gambling. He says, he never bet against his team. How do we know that? If you believe that, you can believe Barry Bonds didn't know it was steroids being put in his body. Case closed, as far as I am concerned. Yes, Pete was a great ball player, but so was Barry. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. :(

If any of the steroid junkies make it that would lower the credibility of the HOF.

I have a feeling that won't be the case. Mark McGwire has been on the ballot three times now and has come nowhere near close to getting elected. Barry Bonds is going to have a rough go of it as well I think. Time will tell.

How can we "honor" "dishonor"? Hmmm! Food for thought. Sad case for baseball, all around. :(

I must admit I don't know all that much about his HOF situation...and by that I mean is there at least some acknowledgement of his base hits record if you go to the HOF?

Fact is he was one of the greatest players of all time. His on-field accomplishments and clean record as a player should be acknowledged in the HOF IMO. Now if they put an * on the display saying "he was banned from baseball for life for gambling as a manager" I think that would be fine. But to pretend he didn't exist or accomplish what he did seems a little silly.

It was always said that if Pete simply admitted his guilt, he'd be let in the hall. Obviously, though... I think he deserves it more than any of the juiced up players in the past decade or so... problem is, there was so many (probably quite a few we don't even know about).

I actually think A-Rod will have an easier time getting in the HOF than Barry Bonds. A-Rod came out and confessed at least. Not that he should be totally forgiven, but fair or not, that will make him more appealing to the voters than Bonds.

I must admit I don't know all that much about his HOF situation...and by that I mean is there at least some acknowledgement of his base hits record if you go to the HOF?

Fact is he was one of the greatest players of all time. His on-field accomplishments and clean record as a player should be acknowledged in the HOF IMO. Now if they put an * on the display saying "he was banned from baseball for life for gambling as a manager" I think that would be fine. But to pretend he didn't exist or accomplish what he did seems a little silly.

not silly, but sad, for sure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back