• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts about Open Coaching Position

All 'N' 011808

Former Walk-on
5 Year Member
Last week, Riley indicated that they would begin the process of securing the open coaching position after NSD on February 1. He indicated that he and Diaco would be involved in that process, and I would figure that Devaney would be involved as well.

I read an article by Jake Jensen of Hail Varsity, who seems to think that Kenny Wilhite is the perfect candidate to fill the other position.

I quoted the seven areas that he covered in his article:

*He’s Already Working for Nebraska and Doing a Good Job
*He has Extensive Experience as a Position Coach in College Football

*He Wants to Work for Nebraska, which has Worked for Riley in the Past
*He is Already Recruiting for Nebraska
*He Has St. Louis Connections and St. Louis is Loaded with Talent

*A Balanced Coaching Staff for Nebraska
*He Won’t Break the Bank

http://hailvarsity.com/s/897/filling-the-open-spot-on-nebraskas-coaching-staff

Last edited:

Sounds like a good fit BUT.... MR has really wowed me with the last couple hires, I'd hate to stifle his incredible ability to recognize talent and second guess him.

Are we still thinking that Tavita Thompson is in the running? I think I've read BYU may be after him.

Are we still thinking that Tavita Thompson is in the running? I think I've read BYU may be after him.
The article pointed out that Wilhite should coach safeties and Thompson would be added when the the 10th position was added...but I know that BYU apparently shown interest based on twitter followers.

The article pointed out that Wilhite should coach safeties and Thompson would be added when the the 10th position was added...but I know that BYU apparently shown interest based on twitter followers.
Thanks, I'm sure I would have read the article at some point

;)

Sounds like a good fit BUT.... MR has really wowed me with the last couple hires, I'd hate to stifle his incredible ability to recognize talent and second guess him.
I like your BUT here...take that compliment anyway that you would like to.

When I read the article, I thought that Wilhite could work as well, but also wondered if that would be the direction that Riley and Diaco would want to go. Afterall, there may be others out there that could be an amazing position coach hire that has experience in the 3-4 and is another dynamic recruiter. Plus, Wilhite is already on staff, so Riley already has him in the fold. The article mentioned that Ron Zook could be a possible candidate as well as Notre Dame linebacker coach Mike Elston.

IMHO, they should bring in someone that DCBD has worked with or has a good existing relationship with on the defensive side. On the offensive side (assuming the 10th coach), I'd like to see a young, fiery, and hungry coach from outside to compliment/assist Cavanaugh. Wichita could be that guy but some fresh blood on the offensive side could be good.

IMHO, they should bring in someone that DCBD has worked with or has a good existing relationship with on the defensive side. On the offensive side (assuming the 10th coach), I'd like to see a young, fiery, and hungry coach from outside to compliment/assist Cavanaugh. Wichita could be that guy but some fresh blood on the offensive side could be good.
That could be good on both counts. I'm assuming the bolded was Tavita and it was auto-corrected to Wichita.

At this point I truly would not be surprised if Les Miles actually came in to help. I mean it seems like he's stopped applying for HC jobs, and there hasnt been much except media noise on him going to TV, but it is interesting to think about.

On the other hand, I think Mike reaches out for a true recruiter. I mean not even a true coach. I have heard around that some teams are going to treat the 10th asst as a full time recruiter. So going on visits to recruits, etc instead of being at practice, given they are able to during that recruiting period. I mean i know we will be adding two coaches, but it wouldnt surprise me to see him get that recruiter NOW. It appears thompson will be our 10th in April, but also at the same time he may be going to BYU.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back