• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This weekend

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Its early Spring here and will be 70 degrees and sunny, this weekend. I have yet to BBQ anything since late last fall and I'm getting a bad itch to do so. Friday, I plan to get the smoker cleaned up and ready to roll for Saturday. Problem is, I can't decide on what I want to make. I make some killer pulled pork and ribs (I hope they aren't lying to me, anyway) but I'm kind of feeling doing something different. A couple of years ago I smoked a pork belly and made some delicious Cubanos. I've also made pulled pork empanadas, breakfast hash, nachos and chili. Something different like the aforementioned is more what I'm feeling, this weekend. Anybody have any ideas?

Its early Spring here and will be 70 degrees and sunny, this weekend. I have yet to BBQ anything since late last fall and I'm getting a bad itch to do so. Friday, I plan to get the smoker cleaned up and ready to roll for Saturday. Problem is, I can't decide on what I want to make. I make some killer pulled pork and ribs (I hope they aren't lying to me, anyway) but I'm kind of feeling doing something different. A couple of years ago I smoked a pork belly and made some delicious Cubanos. I've also made pulled pork empanadas, breakfast hash, nachos and chili. Something different like the aforementioned is more what I'm feeling, this weekend. Anybody have any ideas?
It's funny you posted this. We just got over 6 inches of snow, and it's freaking cold out. We were talking about grilling or whatever, and we discussed lamb. I have some lamb chops that are just begging to be grilled. I think that maybe you are better at the whole process, so, give lamb a thought, and if you do, let me know how you did it and how it worked out.

It's funny you posted this. We just got over 6 inches of snow, and it's freaking cold out. We were talking about grilling or whatever, and we discussed lamb. I have some lamb chops that are just begging to be grilled. I think that maybe you are better at the whole process, so, give lamb a thought, and if you do, let me know how you did it and how it worked out.

Good suggestion, I may try that. I have only had lamb once in my life. That was just a couple of months ago in Jamaica, Carribean jerk, to be specific. That was one of the best meals of my life.

Good suggestion, I may try that. I have only had lamb once in my life. That was just a couple of months ago in Jamaica, Carribean jerk, to be specific. That was one of the best meals of my life.

It's a greasy meat, but man it is tasty. Any ways, if you go that way, I would like to know what you did, and how it turns out.

I got an 11 lb. turkey and a 10 lb. brining overnight, planning on putting it on the smoker early tomorrow.

Life got in the way this weekend and I wasn't able to carve out enough time to put anything on the smoker but I appreciate the suggestions, I will keep them in mind.

I did end up grilling Saturday night, though. I went to the butcher shop and had them cut two, cowboy cut pork chops approaching two inches thick. I brined them for a couple of hours, dried them off and applied a chili based rub. While they were in the brine, I prepared a roasted corn and mango salsa for a topping (holy crap, was that stuff good). I also used that time to prepare a peach/chipotle glaze for the chops and pineapple chutney/mustard reduction for the sweet potato wedges that we had on the side.

I grilled the chops, sweet potatoes and corn on the cob over charcoal on the Weber and, to be honest, this may be one of the better meals that I've ever made on the grill. I have pics, I just need to get off my ass and post them up.

Hopefully, this weekend will afford more time for smoking delicious cuts of meat.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back