• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Walk-On Program & Culture

One Hit Wonder

Recruit
2 Year Member
I will probably get roasted for this but it is what it is.

There have been numerous threads about the walk-on program and how it hasn't been the same since Osborne left. Fans have pontificated on how to get it back to being as effective as it once was. The excuses have common underlying themes such as new coaches not embracing the tradition; not enough focus on developing the walk-on program; isolating them; not enough focus on offering qualified Nebraskans; the high cost of tuition paired with FCS schools having solid success and thus have been offering Nebraskans scholarships which is difficult to turn down.

One of the elements of the walk-on program that can’t be replicated is due to the fact that people tend to forget Tom Osborne was called “Dr. Osborne” for a reason. Coach has a Masters and a Ph. D. in Educational Psychology and is extremely intelligent. He had the support of the university and an uncanny ability to identify the potential walk-ons and he created a support structure in order to develop those kids. However, when you drill down into what Coach did with the walk-ons was brilliant.

Coach knew home-grown Nebraskans had the brains, physical characteristics and work ethic but didn’t have the extra "star" to garner a scholarship. So when walk-ons joined the program they were treated as equals and would be paired up with scholarship guys and sometimes they roomed together. Coach learned they would feed off of each other; a trade-off of sorts – inherently gaining certain traits from each other including their approach to academics - developing their minds - learning the Nebraska way. After a couple of years in the program Coach knew the cream would rise to the top and some of the walk-ons developed into depth chart guys but they all weren't a sure thing.

He would comingle new walk-ons with veteran walk-ons and scholarship guys and there was chemistry being developed from top to bottom. An understanding that they were all vital to the success of the program. It was one of the building blocks of the culture within Nebraska’s program. The walk-on program is not simply offering a bunch of preferred walk-ons to Nebraskans. It's about treating them as equals and allowing chemistry to development and ultimately evolved into the complete development, maturation and implementation with scholarship players within the program and to be bought in by everyone in the university.

Excellent post. Butter up, buttercup and prepare for roasting!

I will probably get roasted for this but it is what it is.

There have been numerous threads about the walk-on program and how it hasn't been the same since Osborne left. Fans have pontificated on how to get it back to being as effective as it once was. The excuses have common underlying themes such as new coaches not embracing the tradition; not enough focus on developing the walk-on program; isolating them; not enough focus on offering qualified Nebraskans; the high cost of tuition paired with FCS schools having solid success and thus have been offering Nebraskans scholarships which is difficult to turn down.

One of the elements of the walk-on program that can’t be replicated is due to the fact that people tend to forget Tom Osborne was called “Dr. Osborne” for a reason. Coach has a Masters and a Ph. D. in Educational Psychology and is extremely intelligent. He had the support of the university and an uncanny ability to identify the potential walk-ons and he created a support structure in order to develop those kids. However, when you drill down into what Coach did with the walk-ons was brilliant.

Coach knew home-grown Nebraskans had the brains, physical characteristics and work ethic but didn’t have the extra "star" to garner a scholarship. So when walk-ons joined the program they were treated as equals and would be paired up with scholarship guys and sometimes they roomed together. Coach learned they would feed off of each other; a trade-off of sorts – inherently gaining certain traits from each other including their approach to academics - developing their minds - learning the Nebraska way. After a couple of years in the program Coach knew the cream would rise to the top and some of the walk-ons developed into depth chart guys but they all weren't a sure thing.

He would comingle new walk-ons with veteran walk-ons and scholarship guys and there was chemistry being developed from top to bottom. An understanding that they were all vital to the success of the program. It was one of the building blocks of the culture within Nebraska’s program. The walk-on program is not simply offering a bunch of preferred walk-ons to Nebraskans. It's about treating them as equals and allowing chemistry to development and ultimately evolved into the complete development, maturation and implementation with scholarship players within the program and to be bought in by everyone in the university.
Really good post. I think what needs to happen to get it back is lowering the standards for it a bit. If you get some kids in with only NAIA offers, so be it. Those kids if they are willing to work can lead the way and not let a four star slack or he will get knocked to the turf or get gutted in weight training.

Really good post. I think what needs to happen to get it back is lowering the standards for it a bit. If you get some kids in with only NAIA offers, so be it. Those kids if they are willing to work can lead the way and not let a four star slack or he will get knocked to the turf or get gutted in weight training.
Exactly.

It's kind of like the football equivalent of brain storming. There are certain rules of good brain storming, and one is that there are no bad ideas. There is no judgement of an idea when you're brainstorming. The best way to come up with good ideas is to come up with more ideas. You compile a list of all the ideas during the brainstorming session, then later you take the time to evaluate them.

The more walkons we have, the more we will have contributing.

Completely agree. The preferred walkon has been too much of the focus. I understand the numbers game and it can't be unlimited, but if a coach sees something in an athlete and that athlete wants to work his rear end off, then he should have the opportunity to do so. Now, if you are physically unable to ever develop to the point of contributing, than maybe a manager spot is more appropriate.

As to the OP, i think that is basically defining "buy in" and "culture" of the walk on program. Many have said they understand it is vital, few have shown they know how to make it vital.

Great post and I was wondering the same myself. At some level, we're just naturally going to lose guys who were close FCS - borderline FBS prospects just due to the exposure other teams have gained nationally over the years (NW Missouri State, NDSU, etc.) where they might not have even considered it 15-20 years ago. I think to ***'s point, grabbing the guys who might be a level below that will be important as well. I also think we'll see an uptick in in-state recruitment regardless of Walk On program changes. Frost sees value in what the state has to offer and if anyone is more likely to take advantage of it again, it'll be him.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...f998eccacf.html#tracking-source=home-featured

What's this about a Husker "roster cap"? Do we have a roster cap? NCAA doesn't require one, although I know some schools do have them. I never heard of one here. Seems like they don't know for sure in the article either.

:Confused:
Moos referenced Title IX implications. Sounds like, as with all things, the omniscient federal government dictates what the roster size should be rather than the University.

Moos referenced Title IX implications. Sounds like, as with all things, the omniscient federal government dictates what the roster size should be rather than the University.
I wondered about that, but I thought that only involved scholarship spots. This could really throw a wrench in my bet with @bilsker

Im not an ncaa compliance officer....and i didnt stay at a holiday inn express last night...but i dont see how title 9 would impact walk-ons. They already add 50% to the roster ad it is.

Im not an ncaa compliance officer....and i didnt stay at a holiday inn express last night...but i dont see how title 9 would impact walk-ons. They already add 50% to the roster ad it is.
I pulled some information from the NCAA's website to help shed some light on the matter. Title IX is applied in three specific parts:

1) women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports

2) female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation

3) equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in 11 provisions: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

The only provision that requires that the same dollars be spent proportional to participation is scholarships. Otherwise, male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits."

From the NCAA's website, "Title IX does not require reductions in opportunities for male student-athletes. One of the purposes is to create the same opportunity and quality of treatment for both female and male student-athletes."

Therefore, since we're talking about only "walk-ons" to the football team, that means no scholarship funds. Thus, I believe the primary concern from Nebraska's compliance department is whether there are substantially more men participating in sports than women which is directly correlated to "equitable opportunities to participate in sports" as written above.

To be fair, the federal government oversees this because universities weren’t very good at providing equal opportunities without said oversight.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back