• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Northern Illinois Loss

NIU ended that season 10-2 and defeated at least two ranked teams (at the time they played them). One of their losses was to #23 Bowling Green.

I’m not sure losing to them in 2003 is on par with NU 2017, but if it gives you hope...

Yep. In 2003 Huskies was somewhat powerful. Peak 2003 record. Unfortunately downfall ever since, like NU1994/95/97 vs. MR's years. In other words, absolutely no comparison with 2003-2017.

The NIU loss will go down in Husker history as the loss that brought Scott Frost to Nebraska.
Yup. Had Riley had a mediocre year, he might still be here and Central Florida might be on the cusp of a real national championship. Reminds me of the movie “The Producers:” A bad play will lose money. But an epically horrible play can make you a fortune.

This is so odd. NIU had a winning record WITHOUT the NU win. We got boat raced by a .500 team and a team that was only above.500 because they beat us. Those are much worse in my opinion.

The upset would have been if the Huskers actually managed to beat NIU. I agree with BRS.... getting stomped on by a doormat was much worse.

Not to mention Arky St' s backup QB passing into the endzone on the final play with a chance to tie in the first game we were close to 0 and 3

The die was cast after the NIU loss. It wasn't the loss itself but rather Eichhorst's reaction to it that told you everything you needed to know. His impromptu press conference was a de facto firing of Riley. He overplayed his hand obviously, as there is no way on God's green Earth that Green and Bounds were going to let SE near another hire.

Last edited:

He overplayed his hand obviously, as there is no way on Gods' green Earth that Green and Bounds were going to let SE near another hire.
I’d hope that was known the day the former coach was hired, not because of NIU. He sealed his own long term fate with the hiring of the former coach. Once Perlman left (praise be to the Lord above), Eichorst days were numbered. I’m surprised it took as long as it did. Anyone with half of a brain knew there would be no way in hell he would be allowed to hire another coach. I would hope that hire raised many eyebrows everywhere. Like, who, what, how :eek: ......holy moly. Probably some regents that still need cleansed out for signing off on the deal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back