• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Huskers aren't taking a QB in '18? Husker legacy Jake Dukart might be the 'man'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would he be able to take a baseball scholarship and play football?

I believe a scholarship is a scholarship. Its the same reason we don't have a bunch of kids take academic scholarships.

Aren't most baseball scholarships half scholarships? I knew some guys who played while I was in school at NU and they were on partial rides.

NCAA does have this figured out. There are no ways to manipulate scholarships for other sports or academics to aid football or men's basketball for sure. (bowling? rifle? I have no clue)

Any player that is on athletic scholarship and plays football counts towards the 85 limit. Likewise, if you are a walk-on with academic scholarship that is fine. When you start playing you lose the academic scholarship or you need to be moved to athletic scholarship and then count toward the limit.

I am not super familiar with the rules, just have had friends who fell under these limitations. My buddy didn't want to actually play but was on the team, as he had enough academic scholarship that he would have been in worse shape financially for it.

When a sport is allowed partial scholarships, like baseball, I have no idea what the limitations are as far as academic scholarship supplementation. (Guys I knew on baseball and basketball team couldn't have earned an academic scholarship).

Would he be able to take a baseball scholarship and play football?

I'm not exactly sure if baseball and wrestling have the same rules in regards to football scholarships. I have to imagine they do though. A wrestler at Rutgers kind of went through something similar this spring.

Razohnn Gross was a walk on fullback for the football team. Gross quit and walked onto the wrestling team. He eventually earned a wrestling scholarship and then decided that he wanted to re-join the football team as well. Even though he was going to be a football "walk-on" he was going to count towards their 85 limit because of his wrestling scholarship. After going through a few spring practices, he quit football again because he didn't want to give up his scholarship.

NCAA scholarship rules likely played a factor in Gross' decision. If a dual-sport football student-athlete -- like baseball star Jawuan Harris -- is receiving athletic financial aid, it must be counted as a football scholarship.

Last edited:
NCAA does have this figured out. There are no ways to manipulate scholarships for other sports or academics to aid football or men's basketball for sure. (bowling? rifle? I have no clue)

Any player that is on athletic scholarship and plays football counts towards the 85 limit. Likewise, if you are a walk-on with academic scholarship that is fine. When you start playing you lose the academic scholarship or you need to be moved to athletic scholarship and then count toward the limit.

I am not super familiar with the rules, just have had friends who fell under these limitations. My buddy didn't want to actually play but was on the team, as he had enough academic scholarship that he would have been in worse shape financially for it.

When a sport is allowed partial scholarships, like baseball, I have no idea what the limitations are as far as academic scholarship supplementation. (Guys I knew on baseball and basketball team couldn't have earned an academic scholarship).
I believe the rules on the highlighted changed a few years back. It is still really tricky though. You have to have a GPA higher than 3.5 and be top 10% in your class. It is only good for your Freshman year.

I believe the rules on the highlighted changed a few years back. It is still really tricky though. You have to have a GPA higher than 3.5 and be top 10% in your class. It is only good for your Freshman year.

And how many walk-ons fit that mold? High GPA, top of class, walk-on and then play as a freshman? Maybe at a small D-1 school.

What is the list of true freshman walk-ons that have gotten playing time at Nebraska? Gotta be short.

And how many walk-ons fit that mold? High GPA, top of class, walk-on and then play as a freshman? Maybe at a small D-1 school.

What is the list of true freshman walk-ons that have gotten playing time at Nebraska? Gotta be short.
Alex Henery?

Anyway back to the topic. Going to be very interesting when he comes to campus next month. Will Ersted play a part in the recruitment too?

My son played D1 baseball and there are 13 scholarships to be divided over 28 players. If you give an ace pitcher, short stop etc a full ride the others get peanuts. I still had to pay 12k a year for his education due to half rides.

Seems to me that Max Duggan is the main target. But I am betting they don't quit talking to Dukart....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back