• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Greatest Showman - Outstanding Movie!

KleinTxHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
My wife and I went to this earlier this week. A very good musical and movie. Worth seeing on the big screen.

It is a musical, probably the best Movie/Musical since Evita w/ Madonna. Les Miserables and even Jersey Boys fell short of the level of the two aforementioned movies.

The Greatest Showman is sort of a Hamiltonian spin on P T Barnum and has a sort of a 21st Century spin on a 19th Century personality. I haven’t seen Hamilton, while the music is somewhat rap influenced it probably is more of a blend of melody and rap.

My wife had seen a number of very good reviews, so we went. Apparently it got very poor reviews in Lincoln (when we recommend it to relatives).

I am also surprised this wasn’t a Broadway Show first, although it will undoubtedly wind up there, too.

Outstanding!

Last edited:

My wife and I went to this earlier this week. A very good musical and movie. Worth seeing on the big screen.

It is a musical, probably the best Movie/Musical since Evita w/ Madonna. Les Miserables and even Jersey Boys fell short of the level of the two aforementioned movies.

The Greatest Showman is sort of a Hamiltonian spin on P T Barnum and has a sort of a 21st Century spin on a 19th Century personality. I haven’t seen Hamilton, while the music is somewhat rap influenced it probably is more of a blend of melody and rap.

My wife had seen a number of very good reviews, so we went. Apparently it got very poor reviews in Lincoln (when we recommend it to relatives).

I am also surprised this wasn’t a Broadway Show first, although it will undoubtedly wind up there, too.

Outstanding!
You lost me when you stated "a very good musical" as that statement is an oxymoron.

Teenage daughter and friend went to see it yesterday; both thought it was great.

I'm not a musical fan in general, but this looks really good. Hoping to get a chance to see it on the big screen.

I like live musicals, but not on the bigscreen.

I heard this morning that Hugh Jackman [aka Wolverine] is pretty good in it. My wife wants to go to it.....Sound track is supposed to good too.

Last edited:
You lost me when you stated "a very good musical" as that statement is an oxymoron.

I hate to sound like a knuckle dragging a hole, but I just don't enjoy musicals. Good or otherwise. I think its a character flaw, but not much I can do about it.

I heard this morning that Hugh Jackman [aka Wolverine] is pretty good in it. My wife wants to go to it.....Sound track is supposed to good too.
Hmmm... hadn't thought about that... I can get my wife to go to Wolverine by telling her Jackman is in it... Might open a new genre of movies my wife will go to.

I'll concede an actual "Live" play, but not a movie. Musicals make me wanna puke.... LOL....

I hate to sound like a knuckle dragging a hole, but I just don't enjoy musicals. Good or otherwise. I think its a character flaw, but not much I can do about it.

Well let's consider this...

Thornton Wilder's "The Match Maker" or "Hello Dolly"?

George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" or "My Fair Lady"

Riggs "Green Grow the Lilacs" or "Oklahoma"

Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" or Bernstein's "West Side Story"

Musicals seem to outdraw plays head to head... and they do as genres. Would you really prefer these plays?

Last edited:

Well let's consider this...

Thornton Wilder's "The Match Maker" or "Hello Dolly"?

George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" or "My Fair Lady"

Riggs "Green Grow the Lilacs" or "Oklahoma"

Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" or Bernstein's "West Side Story"

Musicals seem to outdraw plays head to head... and they do as genres. Would you really prefer these plays?

I'll take 'West Side Story' in a heartbeat over 'Romeo and Juliet', very entertaining. Otherwise I'm not a fan of either plays or musicals. It's a character flaw and entirely a preference of mine, not a criticism of those who enjoy the genre. I'd rather read a book or watch a good movie. Granted, those are harder to come by these days.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back