• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The good, the bad and the Ugly spring game edition.

Not sure I'm sold on the depth at OL. Even Frost in his post game comments said there was too much separation between the 1 and 2 units. Hope that changes over the summer, but for now I would say it's an area of concern.

Running back was average at best. Hanging our hopes on Washington being available and 3 newbies coming in this summer is a bit scary.

I feel better about our wide receivers after seeing them on the field Saturday.

Defense pretty much owned the day.

Though if there's any position that can come in and contribute right away, its RB, IMO. Instinctual. Run to daylight.

I liked what I saw of the defense RE: Opportunity

When the opportunity to get a turnover came up (tipped balls, ricochets), they were AWARE, and they GOT THE BALL.

STOPS, we're told, is what it's all about for this defense.

I liked what I saw of the defense RE: Opportunity

When the opportunity to get a turnover came up (tipped balls, ricochets), they were AWARE, and they GOT THE BALL.

STOPS, we're told, is what it's all about for this defense.
the past few years it's like we've been playing with one arm tied back there. the dl push didnt hurt either. making me smile.

... if there's any position that can come in and contribute right away, its RB, IMO. Instinctual. Run to daylight.

It sounds good to run to daylight. Unfortunately it's not a great way to assert ball control. As much as people claim the Huskers ran all zone and stretch in the 90's, the playbook from that era really focused on breaking through the front seven-eight defenders. Less instinct and more coaching setting up players for success.

It sounds good to run to daylight. Unfortunately it's not a great way to assert ball control. As much as people claim the Huskers ran all zone and stretch in the 90's, the playbook from that era really focused on breaking through the front seven-eight defenders. Less instinct and more coaching setting up players for success.
Even back then a top RB could come in and play right away. Ahman for example.

My first pass watching the game left a lot of mixed feelings. I was hoping for more out of our offensive and defensive lines. I just don't see winning the trenches on offense in year two. I'll start with the offensive line:

CENTER - I'm very lukewarm concerning what I've seen out of the centers. They both leave a stance quickly, but none effectively engage during run blocking. Will Farniok is off balance and is not winning one versus ones. I also think he gets tunnel vision and isn't scanning for movement much past the snap, which is going to get the QB crushed in delayed blitzes and looping stunts. And Cam Jurgens lurches when he blocks, keeping his face looking down too much. This leaves him missing the defensive guys and at a distinct disadvantage in one versus ones. Jurgens is also injury prone, something that leaves me frigid that he's ready to play yet. Neither guy is going to cut it in B1G play if the season started tomorrow. And from there it presumably gets worse. We need to find someone that is effective here because he handles every snap! Cross your fingers that Joshua Wegener steps in and raises the bar here. Wegener is transferring in from Iowa Western Community College as a walk-on ranked as the No. 1 JUCO center in the nation. But Wegener has only been an offensive lineman for ONE year, so it is asking for miracles.

GUARD - I'm lukewarm to frigid from what is going on at guard. Maybe it's the style that is being recruited. Maybe it's something else. But it is not going to be effective against the Michigan and Ohio State defensive lines the way it is going right now. Sichterman could be good, but he has very weak handwork. Really, other than Broc, Brenden, and Matt; the guards and tackles don't effectively engage anyone one versus one with extended hands. And that is a huge concern. Hixson is clumsy and looks like he's confused out there. Forbes has a little potential, but just is hesitant with his assignments. And I'm really disappointed with Raridon. The guy's head snaps back a lot on contact. His short neck really limits his vision. My hope is that Sichterman and Hixson both emerge from the fall camp getting hands working correctly, because we don't have effective depth here. What happened to Boe Wilson? Desmond Bland will likely help if his academics are kept in order.

TACKLE - This is our best group in the Spring Game. Bernden Jaimes has a great frame and is clearly the best tackle in pass situations on the team. Matt Farniok is probably our best run blocker. I would like to see Matt Farniok at the guard spot, because without a good guard or center we're going to get eaten alive in the B1G. Christian Gaylord could be a stud if he can effectively engage with his hands. Broc Bando has good, strong hands and is pretty good in pass blocking. Not terrible run blocking. But not great. More like a B-. And we seem to drop off from there.

Guys like Jaimes (20 starts), Matt Farniok (18 starts), Wilson (9 starts), Bando (0 starts), and Gaylord (0 starts) are IMHO the core of the 2019 offensive line. I would love to see them gel before the fall and build our run game around them. Bryce Benhart is the unknown factor with the B1G-size frame, but he's only a freshman. We should see Wegener and Bland get early looks here.

We have some other guys that might fill out. Jimmy Fritzsche has a good frame to build upon. Michael Lynn. Hunter Miller is a big native son. And we have some misses that might be able to contribute elsewhere. At this point, maybe Nick Virka should move to tight end since he never filled out on the OL, but the guy seems to have a big heart and plays aggressive. Stick people where they have a chance to contribute.

The number one priority from this group is to effectively use hands and get good first blows, actually deliver a shiver, and keep jack hammering. The hands are just consistently weak with this group like they aren't coached how to do it. Our hand work is so lazy top to bottom with the offensive line. I've never been this down on the O line like this.

Last edited:
My first pass watching the game left a lot of mixed feelings. I was hoping for more out of our offensive and defensive lines. I just don't see winning the trenches on offense in year two. I'll start with the offensive line:

CENTER - I'm very lukewarm concerning what I've seen out of the centers. They both leave a stance quickly, but none effectively engage during run blocking. Will Farniok is off balance and is not winning one versus ones. I also think he gets tunnel vision and isn't scanning for movement much past the snap, which is going to get the QB crushed in delayed blitzes and looping stunts. And Cam Jurgens lurches when he blocks, keeping his face looking down too much. This leaves him missing the defensive guys and at a distinct disadvantage in one versus ones. Jurgens is also injury prone, something that leaves me frigid that he's ready to play yet. Neither guy is going to cut it in B1G play if the season started tomorrow. And from there it presumably gets worse. We need to find someone that is effective here because he handles every snap! Cross your fingers that Joshua Wegener steps in and raises the bar here. Wegener is transferring in from Iowa Western Community College as a walk-on ranked as the No. 1 JUCO center in the nation. But Wegener has only been an offensive lineman for ONE year, so it is asking for miracles.

GUARD - I'm lukewarm to frigid from what is going on at guard. Maybe it's the style that is being recruited. Maybe it's something else. But it is not going to be effective against the Michigan and Ohio State defensive lines the way it is going right now. Sichterman could be good, but he has very weak handwork. Really, other than Broc, Brenden, and Matt; the guards and tackles don't effectively engage anyone one versus one with extended hands. And that is a huge concern. Hixson is clumsy and looks like he's confused out there. Forbes has a little potential, but just is hesitant with his assignments. And I'm really disappointed with Raridon. The guy's head snaps back a lot on contact. His short neck really limits his vision. My hope is that Sichterman and Hixson both emerge from the fall camp getting hands working correctly, because we don't have effective depth here. What happened to Boe Wilson? Desmond Bland will likely help if his academics are kept in order.

TACKLE - This is our best group in the Spring Game. Bernden Jaimes has a great frame and is clearly the best tackle in pass situations on the team. Matt Farniok is probably our best run blocker. I would like to see Matt Farniok at the guard spot, because without a good guard or center we're going to get eaten alive in the B1G. Christian Gaylord could be a stud if he can effectively engage with his hands. Broc Bando has good, strong hands and is pretty good in pass blocking. Not terrible run blocking. But not great. More like a B-. And we seem to drop off from there.

Guys like Jaimes (20 starts), Matt Farniok (18 starts), Wilson (9 starts), Bando (0 starts), and Gaylord (0 starts) are IMHO the core of the 2019 offensive line. I would love to see them gel before the fall and build our run game around them. Bryce Benhart is the unknown factor with the B1G-size frame, but he's only a freshman. We should see Wegener and Bland get early looks here.

We have some other guys that might fill out. Jimmy Fritzsche has a good frame to build upon. Michael Lynn. Hunter Miller is a big native son. And we have some misses that might be able to contribute elsewhere. At this point, maybe Nick Virka should move to tight end since he never filled out on the OL, but the guy seems to have a big heart and plays aggressive. Stick people where they have a chance to contribute.

The number one priority from this group is to effectively use hands and get good first blows, actually deliver a shiver, and keep jack hammering. The hands are just consistently weak with this group like they aren't coached how to do it. Our hand work is so lazy top to bottom with the offensive line. I've never been this down on the O line like this.
After re-watching the game I'm not all that impressed with the OL either. We have a ton of work to do with that group.

Never thought I would say this, but offense in general is shaky everywhere except QB and maybe TE. But the O-line situation has me pumping the brakes a bit on the coming season.

Here is an interesting discussion from The Bottom Line on the o-line.
http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp3/POD20190416174350.mp3

After re-watching the game I'm not all that impressed with the OL either. We have a ton of work to do with that group.

Never thought I would say this, but offense in general is shaky everywhere except QB and maybe TE. But the O-line situation has me pumping the brakes a bit on the coming season.

Here is an interesting discussion from The Bottom Line on the o-line.
http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp3/POD20190416174350.mp3
Agree... the O-line was not overwhelming by any stretch. We don't seem to have that road grader that we so desperately need.

Some of these guys have all the physical tools. They just lack direction on how to engage the defenders with their hands. A couple are bouncing all over there like they are exaggerating their footwork. O-Line coaches kind of have a thing about that when they drill. Never worried about sweating the little details if they know why they are doing things, the footwork comes naturally if they are getting the assignments done. But handwork, you cannot over-exaggerate that. If anything, it must be pronounced and the more you exaggerate the more you assert dominance.

Watch close up shots during the mid-90s. The O-line really dominates the opponents with extended arms when they finish blocks, know when to keep hands in on hooks, and know when to feint hands and cut block with authority. It was beautiful.

Last edited:
Agree... the O-line was not overwhelming by any stretch. We don't seem to have that road grader that we so desperately need.

To be fair to Frost and Austin, even when this line is working perfectly in their eyes, it's not going to look like we have a lot of road graders up front.

The first few series of the game look a bit more like what we'll see, but remember we weren't running much of the Offense, and the QB runs are mostly a non-factor (taking a huge part of the offense out of play for the scrimmage) -- although the defense is playing assignments correctly (e.g., DE taking the QB on zone read type plays). I particularly liked the zone read/dive play on first and goal by the red on the first drive. If a player doesn't get the hand on Belt's ankle, he's walking into the end zone with the great blocking up front, and the need to cover Martinez taking the end player out of the equation.

A lot of what we want isn't going to look like those 90's teams at all. Back then there were a lot of times when we'd run no matter how many guys were in the box against us. In this offense, we are going to count the box numbers and figure out whether to pass or run -- and the way we spread it out means we aren't going to see 8 in the box pretty much ever. Concepts are fairly simple, but that takes a lot of perfection and coordination in order for it to come together.

In fact watching the first few couple of offensive series by red (and white even) makes me feel pretty good about where we'll get by this fall. As Frost said, the D is usually ahead of the offense at this point for the teams he's coached.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back