• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"The First Man" - Neil Armstrong Movie; Excellent Movie! Recommend It

KleinTxHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
When my wife said she saw the trailer at the theater, my reaction was:

Neil Armstrong's story? That will be the dullest movie since "Chariots of Fire". What, two hours of tedium punctuated by a few ejection seat scenes?

After watching the trailer, it looks like it might be interesting. Looks like using him in the narrative of the Gemini & Apollo program. I definitely am looking forward to it.

Outstanding movie! I recommend spending extra for IMAX, if it is available. Absent that, it is worth paying to see on the big screen rather than watching it at home.

My wife and I went to this movie last weekend. We both liked it. There have been a lot of politically driven views, reads and agendas on the movie, but I think you should check it out for yourself.

It isn't doing that great at the box office; so tarry not, It may not be on the screen much longer.

It is a very personal story of Armstrong and is essentially a "camera follows Neil" everywhere sort of story. There is not much external context provided.

There is a significant focus on family life. How I would characterize it is it shows very vividly what Tom Wolfe covered with the wives in "The Right Stuff" but only got a small showing in the movie version and it was only one episode in the ten part documentary series done by Tom Hanks. That said, it was the lives of the Astronauts families, and also military families of the 1950s and 1960s. Dad my not come home from work today issues...

Last edited:

Outstanding movie! I recommend spending extra for IMAX, if it is available. Absent that, it is worth paying to see on the big screen rather than watching it at home.

My wife and I went to this movie last weekend. We both liked it. There have been a lot of politically driven views, reads and agendas on the movie, but I think you should check it out for yourself.

It isn't doing that great at the box office; so tarry not, It may not be on the screen much longer.

It is a very personal story of Armstrong and is essentially a "camera follows Neil" everywhere sort of story. There is not much external context provided.

There is a significant focus on family life. How I would characterize it is it shows very vividly what Tom Wolfe covered with the wives in "The Right Stuff" but only got a small showing in the movie version and it was only one episode in the ten part documentary series done by Tom Hanks. That said, it was the lives of the Astronauts families, and also military families of the 1950s and 1960s. Dad my not come home from work today issues...
:Lol:
Klein, you and I obviously have some different tastes when it comes to cinema. I work in the space industry, and when I first heard of an Armstrong movie I was excited. However, I just got home from seeing this movie and was disappointed.

I didn't really feel anything throughout the movie. Parts of it seemed too rushed, other parts seemed to drag. I felt that none of the characters really liked each other. The Armstrongs didn't like each other, the astronauts didn't like each other, the wives didn't like each other... it all felt forced to me.

The sad thing is that I'm usually pretty easily entertained. This movie fell short, IMO.

Anthony Lane from The New Yorker magazine writes what I think are brilliant and often very humorous movie reviews. He is one of the main reasons I am a long-time subscriber to such a left-wing mag. Here is his review of this movie.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/15/damien-chazelles-moon-shot-in-first-man
Armstrong was a Midwestern soul, one of the many small-town boys who wound up in the space program. Of the twelve people who walked on the moon, eleven had been Boy Scouts, and Armstrong still looked and sounded the part. “I remember thinking, Gee, I’d like to stay out a little longer,” he said of his time on the lunar surface, as though it had been a balmy summer evening up there. If you need someone for the most exciting job in history, you have to pick the least excitable person on the planet; nasa got the right guy. But “First Man” can’t cope with that Armstrong—the one who referred to the moon as “an interesting place to be. I recommend it.” Instead, the movie seeks to remold its protagonist in the image of our own era; it tells us more about us than it does about him. After a near-fatal crash in training, Armstrong hurries home with a bloodied head, grabs a drink, and barges out again, in obvious distress. In fact, he did no more than bite his tongue. And the whole narrative is shaped around the death of his daughter; he has visions of her when he least expects them, even upon reaching his destination. Is that really a teardrop that we see inside his helmet, sliding down his cheek? Read all about it: “Man Weeps on Moon!” Skillful and compelling this film may be, but, if Neil Armstrong had been the sort of fellow who was likely to cry on the moon, he wouldn’t have been the first man chosen to go there. He would have been the last.

I thought that everybody knew that the moon isn't really a "moon". It's a satellite put in place by some crafty aliens. It's also hollow and made out of some space alien metal. :O O::Biggrin:

The Moon Rings Like a Bell
The Apollo missions and subsequent moon landings have been at the center of controversy and conspiracy for years. There has been interminable debate as to whether we actually landed on the moon, what was found there, or to what extent NASA has been hiding information from us. But amid the quarreling and speculation, the number of anomalous features on the moon has puzzled scientists and conspiracy theorists alike.

https://www.gaia.com/article/the-hollow-moon-theory-is-the-moon-an-artificial-satellite

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back