• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The explosive race to totally reinvent the smartphone battery

HUSKER HOT SAUCE

Be Yourself - Everyone Else Is Already Taken
10 Year Member
This is kind of a long read, but very interesting, and a problem that essentially effects all most all of us. Some of this article, was above me, but I still found it fascinating. It's worth the 15 - 20 minutes or so to read, even though nothing is cleared up, the quote says a lot to me. Thoughts.

Some, including Sam Cooper of the Dyson School of Design Engineering, have questioned whether companies would actually want to put a device that lasts that long into their products. “There is a clear profit incentive for phone companies to have the device die in time for the next release.This race may not exist,” he says, bluntly. Voller admits that among the 30 or so patents that ZapGo holds is a way to artificially degrade the life of its cells, to stop them from lasting for three decades. “We wouldn’t do that, but we have the ability to offer it to our customers if they choose to do it,” he says.

Carbon-based energy storage has another major advantage over existing technologies. It can actually be used as part of the external structure of the phone. Instead of designing batteries to fit into current phone designs, Voller is preparing for a future of flexible screens and foldable devices, where all our data is pulled from the cloud over 5G, and battery life becomes even more important.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartphone-battery-life-lithium-ion-future

This is kind of a long read, but very interesting, and a problem that essentially effects all most all of us. Some of this article, was above me, but I still found it fascinating. It's worth the 15 - 20 minutes or so to read, even though nothing is cleared up, the quote says a lot to me. Thoughts.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/smartphone-battery-life-lithium-ion-future
I'd be ok if it lasted until the end of the day without having to charge it back up. Most days I do ok, with about 30-40% left. But if I'm outside streaming music on the deck and whatnot, bedtime I see 15%.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back