• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The elephant in the room.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Really excited about this class. In spite of the lower 20 rankings, I believe for the first time in a long time that we have kids coming in with the right mindset and are able to be developed. Plus we have a staff that is huge into development. Gone are the days of the MR period where we were getting the high 4 star guys that was nothing but drama and twitter glory over their recruitment such as bookie and some of the Calibraska guys. Everything about them was about attention and me me me.

In spite of this I can't help but look at Alabama with 25 recruits and only one 3 star in the bunch. The rich evidently get richer but it shows where the geographical talent is and how easy it is to recruit in your own backyard. I think it will always be a building process whereas this staff will find it easier to get access to more of the top talent as the years go by. Even then I think it will be a balancing act between finding the right fit for many of those guys. I have never been someone who likes coaches who are able to bring in the prima donna players with no idea on how they will fit in.

"Play" in the accuracy of the rankings + fit + development = winning the West plus a good shot at winning the CCG, in the hands of the right coaches. Plus it puts you play for making the playoffs. It doesn't turn you into a playoffs machine. Gonna have to ratchet up for that to happen.

I love ratcheting up. Delaying gratification can make the final achievement even more satisfying. Or so I've heard.

Last edited:

Really excited about this class. In spite of the lower 20 rankings, I believe for the first time in a long time that we have kids coming in with the right mindset and are able to be developed. Plus we have a staff that is huge into development. Gone are the days of the MR period where we were getting the high 4 star guys that was nothing but drama and twitter glory over their recruitment such as bookie and some of the Calibraska guys. Everything about them was about attention and me me me.

In spite of this I can't help but look at Alabama with 25 recruits and only one 3 star in the bunch. The rich evidently get richer but it shows where the geographical talent is and how easy it is to recruit in your own backyard. I think it will always be a building process whereas this staff will find it easier to get access to more of the top talent as the years go by. Even then I think it will be a balancing act between finding the right fit for many of those guys. I have never been someone who likes coaches who are able to bring in the prima donna players with no idea on how they will fit in.

Your point is valid and yes, it is easy to recruit to a successful program with talent around it. However, maybe take a look back at the classes Texass was signing when the last won a NC and you might also get the feeling that it won't last forever at Bama either. Something or someone will come along and mess it up....hopefully sooner than later.

Your point is valid and yes, it is easy to recruit to a successful program with talent around it. However, maybe take a look back at the classes Texass was signing when the last won a NC and you might also get the feeling that it won't last forever at Bama either. Something or someone will come along and mess it up....hopefully sooner than later.
Will be interesting to see how they transition when Saban retires

"Play" in the accuracy of the rankings + fit + development = winning the West plus a good shot at winning the CCG, in the hands of the right coaches. Plus it puts you play for making the playoffs. It doesn't turn you into a playoffs machine. Gonna have to ratchet up for that to happen.

I love ratcheting up. Delaying gratification can make the final achievement even more satisfying. Or so I've heard.
I tried that once with the wife. I didn't like it.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my father in law the other day (different but bare with me). He was saying things like, we won’t be able to win a National Championship with an Oklahoma like Defense/Offense. My stance, we were SO FAR away from that, it doesn’t make sense to talk about NC. We are SO FAR away from Bama, it doesn’t make sense to compare ourselves to Bama. Let’s focus on winning the BIG West, and then the BIG and THEN worry about Bama. Look at Clemson. It took Dabo a good 7-8 years to build Clemson into a NC contender. Now with their momentum, they’re in the playoffs yearly. Let’s focus on the task at hand, winning the West.

18 of the 25 kids from AL, GA, MS, LA, FL, and KY. Pretty concentrated area of talent but at the same time, that's where a huge chunk of national attention and camps are located too.

Recruiting to a system and having a specific strategy deployed is what will ultimately make us successful regardless of the rankings. Stabilizing to top 20-25 classes year in and out and occasionally jumping up to top 10-15 depending on our geographic talent will make a world of difference.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, in the last decade there's been a growing trend, much like in college basketball, for the top players in the nation to really cluster together at just a handful or so schools. It seems more concentrated than it even used to be. For example, when Clemson and ND face in the playoff, CU will have something like a 14-1 edge in five stars on their roster. At least that's the stat I read. I forget which service it's by. But we're talking about ND, who recruits very well every year.

When you get past the top 15 or so, the difference between classes is pretty small if you look at average player grades by 247.

Under Bo and Mike we were usually averaging about an 86 or so. Thus far with the new staff were edging up to the 87+ range. It's not impossible we could finish at 88 in February. I believe with more wins we'll start seeing 88+.

I am very confident we're going to get at least nine tenths of the way there. It may take a while to knock off Bama and Georgia and we'll never do it by matching their recruiting rankings.

As a side note, others in the West are picking it up too. Purdue is right there with us and Minnesota has had two nice back to back classes by their standards.

To be clear, what is the elephant? The relatively low rating in the 20s? Whatever... I'd say I am too old to understand, but according to the 'guess my age' thread, we all are old. Whatever

Only Michigan And Ohio State have better rated classes in the league. 2020 right now is shaping up to be a monster class. We are getting there

Last edited:

Recruiting juggernauts have a tendency to get torched by scandals every now and then. I'm not saying the $EC is playing dirty, but on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they were and it all came out eventually (like the current NCAA basketball scandals).

Seems we are long overdue for a good old fashioned pay-to-play scandal.

A couple of winning seasons - starting in 2019 - should help us with recruiting. I's still true. Nothing succeeds like success.

You know, Wisconsin has done OK over the years and they really never had highly ranked recruiting classes. But they stuck to a process and a blueprint of what kind of players they wanted and did just fine.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back