• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The collapse of 2019: Was it sudden? Or was it destined?

Rick Byrd has been coaching college basketball since before I was born. He’s turning 65. No more senior citizen coaches please.

Apparently you missed the "I wouldn't hire him because he's 65" sentence. And even at 65, he'd be the best Husker bbball coach ever.

There is no reason for NU to not be decent in bball. That needs to change. Thank God someone with such a lack of bball knowledge as you isn't making the decision. I wouldn't hire Rick Byrd because he's 65, but he would by far be the best bball coach NU has EVER had. And it wouldn't be close.
LOL, NU hired Moos at 65 to lead the whole athletic department and you think he’s swell. Wasn’t Riley 62 and you bought that hire. You certainly don’t riddle much, do you?

No doubt Byrd knows BB but there are hundreds of coaches that know BB. NU needs someone who knows how to build a program and recruit in a BB outpost. Proven to compete on a regular basis against top competition.

First you have to get a commitment from Hank and Ronnie. They are the decision makers. If they will loosen up the purse strings like they did for Frost - then my first call is to Eric Musselman. He’s proven. Making 1 million per. Of course it’s not going to take 5 million. Healthy raise might do it.

Hoiberg would be next on my list. But you’ve got to pay him. He’s not coming cheap.

Lots of other qualified experienced coaches out there. Think big, go big.​

Last edited:

LOL, NU hired Moos at 65 to lead the whole athletic department and you think he’s swell. Wasn’t Riley 62 and you bought that hire. You certainly don’t riddle much, do you?

No doubt Byrd knows BB but there are hundreds of coaches that know BB. NU needs someone who knows how to build a program and recruit in a BB outpost. Proven to compete on a regular basis against top competition.

First you have to get a commitment from Hank and Ronnie. They are the decision makers. If they will loosen up the purse strings like they did for Frost - then my first call is to Eric Musselman. He’s proven. Making 1 million per. Of course it’s not going to take 5 million. Healthy raise might do it.

Hoiberg would be next on my list. But you’ve got to pay him. He’s not coming cheap.

Lots of other qualified experienced coaches out there. Think big, go big.​

Good Lord, you don't really know what you're talking about. First, there's a difference between the age of the AD and bringing in a coach to help build a program, someone who is 65 is probably too old to start that process. That being said, Rick Byrd, who was just an example I threw out there and not a possible candidate, would be the best coach Husker bball has ever had.
Eric Musselman is not coming to Nebraska. He's using the Nevada gig to get back in the NBA.
Hoiberg is worth a shot but he's probably going to UCLA . Plus, I question his coaching after his disaster with the Bulls. Could be a one off but he was really bad.

Please tell me all those other experienced coaches out there .Btw, the two examples you just gave aren't as accomplished at the college level as Rick Byrd.

Good Lord, you don't really know what you're talking about. First, there's a difference between the age of the AD and bringing in a coach to help build a program, someone who is 65 is probably too old to start that process. That being said, Rick Byrd, who was just an example I threw out there and not a possible candidate, would be the best coach Husker bball has ever had.
Eric Musselman is not coming to Nebraska. He's using the Nevada gig to get back in the NBA.
Hoiberg is worth a shot but he's probably going to UCLA . Plus, I question his coaching after his disaster with the Bulls. Could be a one off but he was really bad.

Please tell me all those other experienced coaches out there .Btw, the two examples you just gave aren't as accomplished at the college level as Rick Byrd.
Nah, I’m done with you. You’re a small thinker. Acting like NU is still in the Big Eight.

Crap, I broke my own rule about feeding the
clown-smiley-emoticon.gif
...er...er...
troll-face-meme-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wah! I don't want to play with Mr. goodnterribles anymore. I'm taking my toys and going home to mommy (S. Pedey).

It's just frustrating to me, the combination of his disdain for Bill Moos combined with his lack of basketball knowledge. Hell, maybe NU can write a $5M check and get Coach K to Lincoln. Apparently that's all it takes. Big 10 money and all.

It's just frustrating to me, the combination of his disdain for Bill Moos combined with his lack of basketball knowledge. Hell, maybe NU can write a $5M check and get Coach K to Lincoln. Apparently that's all it takes. Big 10 money and all.

You know I never think OoL is anything but a troll, but I do kind of agree that I think we can and should take some shots at a couple of ‘name’ coaches. I doubt Moos is just going to settle for a mid major from the get go. I’m sure we’ll make a run at 2 or 3 guys that may surprise. No, not Self or K, but maybe some that could be a difference maker. They may decline, but our facilities, conference, fans and checkbook might get more listening than just a courtesy meeting.

Last edited:
You know I never think OoL is anything but a troll, but I do kind of agree that I think we can and should take some shots at a couple of ‘name’ coaches. I doubt Moos is just going to settle for a mid major from the get go. I’m sure we’ll make a run at 2 or 3 guys that may surprise. No, not Self or K, but maybe some that could be a difference maker. They may decline, but our facilities, conference, fans and checkbook might get more listening than just a courtesy meeting.

Big name, mid major coach, I just want someoene who runs a unique system.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back