• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The collapse of 2019: Was it sudden? Or was it destined?

Miles failure to develop depth early in the year was a major reason for the teams downfall. Interesting that now they are relying on those same reserves that Miles didn't want to put in earlier in the year, and they are playing better basketball...

Funny, you left off the contract ‘bonus’ that can range between 500k and 1M. Not to mention if a coach has an established Nike endorsement he’s not as likely to come to start over at Adidas. He’s not coming from Gonzaga or Creighton. Trust me II, if you are lowballing then you better lower those expectations.

PS,,,Moos’ buddy Ernie Kent is available on the cheap.
You do understand the philosophy of receiving a bonus, right? It’s only paid if a coach achieves certain goals. Paying some extra, which we did pay Miles in some seasons, means better than anticipated results. Why is that a concern for you?

You do understand the philosophy of receiving a bonus, right? It’s only paid if a coach achieves certain goals. Paying some extra, which we did pay Miles in some seasons, means better than anticipated results. Why is that a concern for you?
Plenty of dollars at NU. Good to see Miles get paid. A shame it didn’t work out long term. If NU is serious about MBB they will make top pay a priority. Whether they can get a first rate candidate to accept is another story.

Plenty of dollars at NU. Good to see Miles get paid. A shame it didn’t work out long term. If NU is serious about MBB they will make top pay a priority. Whether they can get a first rate candidate to accept is another story.

They don't have to pay an absurd amount to get a really good coach, which is what I was showing you but you clearly ignored. But you can overpay for a crappy coach, which is what they did with Miles.

They don't have to pay an absurd amount to get a really good coach, which is what I was showing you but you clearly ignored. But you can overpay for a crappy coach, which is what they did with Miles.
Who is talking absurd money? You can try to hit a grand slam with another mid major hire and a couple million dollars. What do you think the chances are of 2 or 3 NCAA trips in 5 years? 5%? 10%? How has that turned out the last 20+ years?

I think by now everyone knows the definition of insanity...

NU has a tremendous AD or so I’m told. Step up to the plate.

Last edited:
Who is talking absurd money? You can try to hit a grand slam with another mid major hire and a couple million dollars. What do you think the chances are of 2 or 3 NCAA trips in 5 years? 5%? 10%? How has that turned out the last 20+ years?

I think by now everyone knows the definition of insanity...

NU has a tremendous AD or so I’m told. Step up to the plate.

You can swing and a miss with a big name hire just as easily as you can with a mid major hire. Roy Williams wasn't Roy Williams when he first went to Kansas, and truly only got the job because Dean Smith's recommendation. Rick Pitino was a "mid-major" guy before he hit it big. Same with Calipari. Coach K came from Army to Duke. There are tons of examples of guys who became great coaches from the ranks of the mid majors or lower. Look at John Bielein's career trajectory. Hell, I'd love to have his son coach at NU but I don't think he's ready yet.

The fact is no big name, established, successful coach is coming to Lincoln unless they have ties to the state or school. So you can scratch off a lot of names right off the bat. I'd rather get a dynamic coach who runs a unique system and let him establish his culture, any culture. Pay market value and put bonuses in that contract for performance.

We get it that you don't like Moos. We really get it.

You can swing and a miss with a big name hire just as easily as you can with a mid major hire. Roy Williams wasn't Roy Williams when he first went to Kansas, and truly only got the job because Dean Smith's recommendation. Rick Pitino was a "mid-major" guy before he hit it big. Same with Calipari. Coach K came from Army to Duke. There are tons of examples of guys who became great coaches from the ranks of the mid majors or lower. Look at John Bielein's career trajectory. Hell, I'd love to have his son coach at NU but I don't think he's ready yet.

The fact is no big name, established, successful coach is coming to Lincoln unless they have ties to the state or school. So you can scratch off a lot of names right off the bat. I'd rather get a dynamic coach who runs a unique system and let him establish his culture, any culture. Pay market value and put bonuses in that contract for performance.

We get it that you don't like Moos. We really get it.
Tim Miles, Doc Sadler, Barry Collier. 287-277 over 20 years. Time to try something different than the mid-major guys in Lincoln

It ain’t working.

And please stop comparisons of Duke, KU, Memphis and Kentucky to NU’s basketball coaching search. Gross.

Last edited:

Tim Miles, Doc Sadler, Barry Collier. 287-277 over 20 years. Time to try something different than the mid-major guys in Lincoln

It ain’t working.

And please stop comparisons of Duke, KU, Memphis and Kentucky to NU’s basketball coaching search. Gross.

Whats gross is your lack of knowledge about basketball. Memphis was a bad program with little history except for a period when they blatantly cheated. Duke was in much worse shape than NU when K took over. The point being that great coaches have to start somewhere. And NU is not getting a great, already established coach. Not even your favorite AD, Steve Pederson, could get that type of coach.

Whats gross is your lack of knowledge about basketball. Memphis was a bad program with little history except for a period when they blatantly cheated. Duke was in much worse shape than NU when K took over. The point being that great coaches have to start somewhere. And NU is not getting a great, already established coach. Not even your favorite AD, Steve Pederson, could get that type of coach.
NU has 70 years of history of not having a great coach ‘start’ in Lincoln. And yet you need more proof. NU has the B1G dollars. Pony up for an established coach.

NU has 70 years of history of not having a great coach ‘start’ in Lincoln. And yet you need more proof. NU has the B1G dollars. Pony up for an established coach.

History is irrelevant to the next hire. What Rick Byrd could do in Lincoln has absolutely nothing to do with Collier, Sadler, or Miles. I recommend you start rooting for NC State, you are every bit as delusional as that fan base. A big name coach is not coming to Lincoln. I don't care if Steve Pederson, Tom Osborne, Shawn Eichorst, Bill Moos, or you are the AD. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.

History is irrelevant to the next hire. What Rick Byrd could do in Lincoln has absolutely nothing to do with Collier, Sadler, or Miles. I recommend you start rooting for NC State, you are every bit as delusional as that fan base. A big name coach is not coming to Lincoln. I don't care if Steve Pederson, Tom Osborne, Shawn Eichorst, Bill Moos, or you are the AD. IT'S NOT HAPPENING.
Let’s face it, there isn’t that hard charging desire for hoops in Lincoln. Yeah I hear the groans and catcalls at PBA. But, it’s a select few who live and die with the program. The fandom show up because Lincoln is a good college sports town and there isn’t much competition. Rick Byrd? LMAO. Setting those sights sky high? #SoarwithByrd

Let’s face it, there isn’t that hard charging desire for hoops in Lincoln. Yeah I hear the groans and catcalls at PBA. But, it’s a select few who live and die with the program. The fandom show up because Lincoln is a good college sports town and there isn’t much competition. Rick Byrd? LMAO. Setting those sights sky high? #SoarwithByrd

There is no reason for NU to not be decent in bball. That needs to change. Thank God someone with such a lack of bball knowledge as you isn't making the decision. I wouldn't hire Rick Byrd because he's 65, but he would by far be the best bball coach NU has EVER had. And it wouldn't be close.

There is no reason for NU to not be decent in bball. That needs to change. Thank God someone with such a lack of bball knowledge as you isn't making the decision. I wouldn't hire Rick Byrd because he's 65, but he would by far be the best bball coach NU has EVER had. And it wouldn't be close.

Rick Byrd has been coaching college basketball since before I was born. He’s turning 65. No more senior citizen coaches please.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back