• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The collapse of 2019: Was it sudden? Or was it destined?

LarstheRed

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
We have seen our share of opinions as to why the Huskers seemed to collapse after a truly great start to the season. The reasons vary from the loss of Copeland or Harris, to elimination of an outside consultant who was working with the team, and even because of what amounts to a prolonged shooting slump. While there is no denying we started off pretty well, I'd suggest we look a little more carefully at signs very early on that the shortfalls of our program the last several years, were still deeply embedded in the team.

I just want to clear the air and say, without a doubt, we had some pretty good wins early in the year...at least at first glance. There were definitely some dogs on that schedule, and frankly ones we should have really focused on getting some of our bench time with the starters, not as an entirely different 5 guys, but that's another topic. But you have to give credit where credit is due, and those guys got some solid wins in some tough situations. Let's breakdown those wins we feel were the most meaningful:

-Clemson, a good ACC team, with a 19-12 record, but currently sitting at 9th in the conference, and no guarantee to make the tourney, but also someone people don't want to face in their conference tourney.
-Seton Hall, another decent team, with a 18-12 record, sitting 6th in the Big East, but absolutely a down year for the conference. We were also fortunate to get this very young team, on the road, very early in the season.
-Creighton, currently 4th in the Big East with an 18-13 record, but barely over .500 a month or so ago. They are finishing the season well, with 5 wins in their last 7 games after a slow start.
-Oklahoma State, 12-19, second to last in the Big 12. Not a good team, but a name in a P5.

Our one big name loss was Texas Tech, and they are simply a really solid team. Top 10, well coached, not flashy, but they just don't make mistakes and play some darn good defense.

So, if we look back on some of the conversations in the game threads, there were things that had me concerned about the look of this team:

-First and foremost, a lack of quality shooters. There isn't a guy on the team most of us feel confident in when they pull up. And there sure as heck isn't anyone making opponents sweat. It's been a fact of life for nearly a decade.
-Miles fascination with shooting more 3s. The first time I heard Miles quoting 'the world according to KenPo', I knew we were in trouble. If the first game of 4-26 against Wayne State didn't concern you, then you weren't paying attention. Deciding you are going to focus on 3s with our shooters is like focusing on being a team that pounds the ball inside without a start over 6'8...you can say it, but it's just lip service.
-A complete lack of getting easy looks. This wasn't just because we don't pass well, but we also don't work to get our teammates open. Screens are almost nonexistent. And when we do pass, how often did you marvel at how smooth and perfect the pass, catch and shoot were?
-We didn't make defenses work. Think of what makes playing D tough; getting through screens, keeping Man/Ball relationship, teams that crash the offensive boards, those are the things that make defense hard. We did none of this. Playing against us was easy for most decent defensive teams.
-Putting the 'Alpha' label on Watson, who hadn't been able to hold up an entire season, and Palmer, who just doesn't make guys around him better, was idiotic. Copeland was a far better player when we consider his entire game, and he didn't struggle in adjusting his game when he wasn't hitting, the type of thing we expect from a leader.
-The complete mismanagement of personnel putting Roby (or Copeland) as a 5. It's one thing to use a players like those two in a manner that creates a complete mismatch, and likely gets the opponent's big man in foul trouble trying to keep up with the smaller, faster player, but Miles slaps those guys on the blocks and neutralizes any speed advantage they may have had.
-Zero effort to create a deeper bench. I thought Miles had chances to get guys rolling through the first 15 games, but was caught up in getting Palmer scoring 30 instead. It's only when we've been backed into a corner do we see Miles getting players meaningful minutes, but it's conference play, and that raises the stakes. And when you are developing depth, it's not about playing the bottom of the bench together during scrub time, it's about getting those guys minutes with the top 6 or 7. When your 10th guy can play with your top 4, you have something very special.

Every single thing I've mentioned here, are typical traits of Tim Miles teams. When I pointed them out during those first 15 games, I was being negative in some minds, I didn't give the team credit...which isn't true at all. I saw signs of some pretty intriguing play. What I was concerned about were the areas I just listed, and frankly, it wasn't a brilliant basketball mind seeing them, it's pretty basic basketball stuff.

Hey, we all get a little caught up in seeing the ESPN Highlights of one amazing individual play after another. We all dream of being Duke, Kentucky, NC, whoever, but the fact remains, out of the 68 teams playing in the tourney, only a half dozen or so do it purely on incredible talent. We need to try to be Iowa, or Wiscy, or even Creighton. That's the type of game we need to develop. I was talking some Husker Hoops with a friend who I used to play some ball with, and some guy who was listening, starts chirping in a little. He popped off that if we got rid of Miles, all we'd have is some lame coach like Collier, to which I replied, if we had Collier coaching this group, we'd be absolutely dancing in March. Barry may have sucked as a recruiter, and no, we weren't winning the B1G with a roster full of guys from Filly or Plattsmouth, but he could coach.

If we have this roster and a stronger coach, we have 20+ wins, even with the loss of Copeland. We have the type of players that would be a total pain to play, if we did the little things good teams do. Think of what Syracuse was like a few years ago: couldn't shoot a lick, but they were LONG, great defensively, rebounded like madmen, and created mismatches on offense for easy buckets, which were predominantly dunks or two footers. Good team, good coaches all adapt.

Let's be happy we got a nice win for the seniors, and let's hope we keep these guys on the current roster around for at least another year, and let's see what we can do with someone who is a true, deep down, teacher of basketball. Tomorrow is the last game of the season, and I hope it's the beginning some new energy and opportunity for Nebraska Basketball.

Last edited:

I believe Clemson is in the ACC and Wednesday will probably be our last game. Maybe they can beat Rutgers, but I would bet against it at this point.

I agree with your post. We had problems before Copeland went down. However, I think had Copeland not went down, they might have done just enough to get them into the tourney. I think they would have weathered the storm so to speak. Even so, this team was capable of so much more than that.

I think your best point is about a different coach with this lineup. Say John Beilein coaches this team with his spacing and offensive concept. There is no doubt in my mind he would boat race teams. He would have probably had a more developed bench as well.

I’m excited for a new era, just nervous about the hire.

Interestingly, the last full game Copeland played was a loss to Rutgers.

I'm not sure if we would be dancing had he not gone down. Sure, it's possible -- though the back-half of our conference schedule was definitely more difficult than the front-half -- with our without Isaac. That said, after the top five in the Big Ten (Mich, MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland), there's a big drop-off. We could have been in the mix with Iowa and Minnesota (the next two), which would have drawn bubble consideration. Yeah, that's too many "would haves, could haves, and ifs." :)

If Copeland was the difference, that injury is a blessing in disguise. Had we made the NCAA Tournament, Moos would have been hugely criticized if he'd fired Miles. He almost couldn't. And he probably then would have had to extend Miles' contract. Huge UGH had that happened. Because next season's team would have been destined for something like a 10-21 record. (Might anyhow, but I'd be in total misery if it happened with Miles still on the sideline.)

This season has been so miserable. The only thing to save it in my mind is to see Miles fired and a new coach hired that inspires hope in the fan base.

Interestingly, the last full game Copeland played was a loss to Rutgers.

I'm not sure if we would be dancing had he not gone down. Sure, it's possible -- though the back-half of our conference schedule was definitely more difficult than the front-half -- with our without Isaac. That said, after the top five in the Big Ten (Mich, MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland), there's a big drop-off. We could have been in the mix with Iowa and Minnesota (the next two), which would have drawn bubble consideration. Yeah, that's too many "would haves, could haves, and ifs." :)

If Copeland was the difference, that injury is a blessing in disguise. Had we made the NCAA Tournament, Moos would have been hugely criticized if he'd fired Miles. He almost couldn't. And he probably then would have had to extend Miles' contract. Huge UGH had that happened. Because next season's team would have been destined for something like a 10-21 record. (Might anyhow, but I'd be in total misery if it happened with Miles still on the sideline.)

This season has been so miserable. The only thing to save it in my mind is to see Miles fired and a new coach hired that inspires hope in the fan base.

I don’t see Copeland as being the reason for their demise either, but he would have been in a position to make the team far more balanced, and that would have improved their chances of toughening up that frail dynamic.

As much as I really like Roby, he’s early Scottie Pippen, or Michael Cooper, or Robert Horry. He’s a physical talent who can shine when other’s do the heavy lifting, but his game at this time can’t do that lifting.

This group, with the right leadership, is dancing. Now we get to see if we have the ability to find that right leadership.

Last edited:
We have seen our share of opinions as to why the Huskers seemed to collapse after a truly great start to the season. The reasons vary from the loss of Copeland or Harris, to elimination of an outside consultant who was working with the team, and even because of what amounts to a prolonged shooting slump. While there is no denying we started off pretty well, I'd suggest we look a little more carefully at signs very early on that the shortfalls of our program the last several years, were still deeply embedded in the team.

I just want to clear the air and say, without a doubt, we had some pretty good wins early in the year...at least at first glance. There were definitely some dogs on that schedule, and frankly ones we should have really focused on getting some of our bench time with the starters, not as an entirely different 5 guys, but that's another topic. But you have to give credit where credit is due, and those guys got some solid wins in some tough situations. Let's breakdown those wins we feel were the most meaningful:

-Clemson, a good SEC team, with a 19-12 record, but currently sitting at 9th in the conference, and no guarantee to make the tourney, but also someone people don't want to face in their conference tourney.
-Seton Hall, another decent team, with a 18-12 record, sitting 6th in the Big East, but absolutely a down year for the conference. We were also fortunate to get this very young team, on the road, very early in the season.
-Creighton, currently 4th in the Big East with an 18-13 record, but barely over .500 a month or so ago. They are finishing the season well, with 5 wins in their last 7 games after a slow start.
-Oklahoma State, 12-19, second to last in the Big 12. Not a good team, but a name in a P5.

Our one big name loss was Texas Tech, and they are simply a really solid team. Top 10, well coached, not flashy, but they just don't make mistakes and play some darn good defense.

So, if we look back on some of the conversations in the game threads, there were things that had me concerned about the look of this team:

-First and foremost, a lack of quality shooters. There isn't a guy on the team most of us feel confident in when they pull up. And there sure as heck isn't anyone making opponents sweat. It's been a fact of life for nearly a decade.
-Miles fascination with shooting more 3s. The first time I heard Miles quoting 'the world according to KenPo', I knew we were in trouble. If the first game of 4-26 against Wayne State didn't concern you, then you weren't paying attention. Deciding you are going to focus on 3s with our shooters is like focusing on being a team that pounds the ball inside without a start over 6'8...you can say it, but it's just lip service.
-A complete lack of getting easy looks. This wasn't just because we don't pass well, but we also don't work to get our teammates open. Screens are almost nonexistent. And when we do pass, how often did you marvel at how smooth and perfect the pass, catch and shoot were?
-We didn't make defenses work. Think of what makes playing D tough; getting through screens, keeping Man/Ball relationship, teams that crash the offensive boards, those are the things that make defense hard. We did none of this. Playing against us was easy for most decent defensive teams.
-Putting the 'Alpha' label on Watson, who hadn't been able to hold up an entire season, and Palmer, who just doesn't make guys around him better, was idiotic. Copeland was a far better player when we consider his entire game, and he didn't struggle in adjusting his game when he wasn't hitting, the type of thing we expect from a leader.
-The complete mismanagement of personnel putting Roby (or Copeland) as a 5. It's one thing to use a players like those two in a manner that creates a complete mismatch, and likely gets the opponent's big man in foul trouble trying to keep up with the smaller, faster player, but Miles slaps those guys on the blocks and neutralizes any speed advantage they may have had.
-Zero effort to create a deeper bench. I thought Miles had chances to get guys rolling through the first 15 games, but was caught up in getting Palmer scoring 30 instead. It's only when we've been backed into a corner do we see Miles getting players meaningful minutes, but it's conference play, and that raises the stakes. And when you are developing depth, it's not about playing the bottom of the bench together during scrub time, it's about getting those guys minutes with the top 6 or 7. When your 10th guy can play with your top 4, you have something very special.

Every single thing I've mentioned here, are typical traits of Tim Miles teams. When I pointed them out during those first 15 games, I was being negative in some minds, I didn't give the team credit...which isn't true at all. I saw signs of some pretty intriguing play. What I was concerned about were the areas I just listed, and frankly, it wasn't a brilliant basketball mind seeing them, it's pretty basic basketball stuff.

Hey, we all get a little caught up in seeing the ESPN Highlights of one amazing individual play after another. We all dream of being Duke, Kentucky, NC, whoever, but the fact remains, out of the 68 teams playing in the tourney, only a half dozen or so do it purely on incredible talent. We need to try to be Iowa, or Wiscy, or even Creighton. That's the type of game we need to develop. I was talking some Husker Hoops with a friend who I used to play some ball with, and some guy who was listening, starts chirping in a little. He popped off that if we got rid of Miles, all we'd have is some lame coach like Collier, to which I replied, if we had Collier coaching this group, we'd be absolutely dancing in March. Barry may have sucked as a recruiter, and no, we weren't winning the B1G with a roster full of guys from Filly or Plattsmouth, but he could coach.

If we have this roster and a stronger coach, we have 20+ wins, even with the loss of Copeland. We have the type of players that would be a total pain to play, if we did the little things good teams do. Think of what Syracuse was like a few years ago: couldn't shoot a lick, but they were LONG, great defensively, rebounded like madmen, and created mismatches on offense for easy buckets, which were predominantly dunks or two footers. Good team, good coaches all adapt.

Let's be happy we got a nice win for the seniors, and let's hope we keep these guys on the current roster around for at least another year, and let's see what we can do with someone who is a true, deep down, teacher of basketball. Tomorrow is the last game of the season, and I hope it's the beginning some new energy and opportunity for Nebraska Basketball.
I agree with some of your points on here, others I dont.
did you just make this thread so everyone would bow down and say oh wow Lars the Red was right all along, lets pat him on the back and tell him hes great.
You were right on some things, good for you!!

-Clemson, a good SEC team, with a 19-12 record, but currently sitting at 9th in the conference, and no guarantee to make the tourney, but also someone people don't want to face in their conference tourney.

It can be simplified by saying that the things that have stood out to me as indicators of Miles problems are:

1 - He just has no real offensive mind. How many times have we seen over 7 years guys standing around looking like they have no idea what to do and then jacking up a 3 in desperation. I question at times whether he even ran an offense. HCTM is simply a poor coach, especially offensively. The year we made the tourney, there was no real good coaching either.........we just had a great run in the second half and we had no offensive plan, TM just got lucky that Petteway got so hot everything he threw up went in and several other players got hot at the same time. They played good D, but the O was just a bunch of sloppy shots going in for about 3 or 4 weeks.

2 - The decision to go with transfers. Kids transfer for a reason and Id be wiling to bet more times than not you dont get a real "team only" concept with transfers.

3 - with this team, personally in hindsight it was way over rated from the start. I didnt realize it until part way through the season. but last years team really was great despite an easy schedule. But last years team had the same guys that this years team had except last years team had Okeke, Tshimanga, evan taylor and Anton Gill as 4 guys to compliment what we had. Those four guys were replaced with T Borcher, heiman, harris and Akenton.
Okeke would come in and dominate the middle on D, thsimanga did dominate the middle D, so you had constant strenght defensively in the middle. heiman and borcher were major downgrades from that. Including, as you mentioned, Roby out of position.
harris never really arrived until it was too late for various reason and Akenton missed more shots than i can remember.........all while last year Taylor and Gill gave massive boosts off the bench and were real difference makes.
We thought going into the season that everyone was back and wed be better. Nope, we lost more than we realized.

4 Teams figure out how to stop Palmer after watching film last year and by mid season teams were shutting him down and that led him to go into a slump and our coach had no answer for it

Ill give you kudos though for making some good points though.
Some of your concerns didnt get corrected

You know where I stand, but in all fairness I think sudden and or destined are the wrong words. For sudden I would have used the phrase: It had a higher probability than not. For Destined: There were signs along the way.

We will never really know, but dad gum it....make sure support is actually that support! You make your own destiny and no matter the problems/issues you got work your tail off to fix the ship and fight the ship..until that sucker is at the bottom of the sea.

New era prolly starting....we will see.

It can be simplified by saying that the things that have stood out to me as indicators of Miles problems are:

1 - He just has no real offensive mind. How many times have we seen over 7 years guys standing around looking like they have no idea what to do and then jacking up a 3 in desperation. I question at times whether he even ran an offense. HCTM is simply a poor coach, especially offensively. The year we made the tourney, there was no real good coaching either.........we just had a great run in the second half and we had no offensive plan, TM just got lucky that Petteway got so hot everything he threw up went in and several other players got hot at the same time. They played good D, but the O was just a bunch of sloppy shots going in for about 3 or 4 weeks.

2 - The decision to go with transfers. Kids transfer for a reason and Id be wiling to bet more times than not you dont get a real "team only" concept with transfers.

3 - with this team, personally in hindsight it was way over rated from the start. I didnt realize it until part way through the season. but last years team really was great despite an easy schedule. But last years team had the same guys that this years team had except last years team had Okeke, Tshimanga, evan taylor and Anton Gill as 4 guys to compliment what we had. Those four guys were replaced with T Borcher, heiman, harris and Akenton.
Okeke would come in and dominate the middle on D, thsimanga did dominate the middle D, so you had constant strenght defensively in the middle. heiman and borcher were major downgrades from that. Including, as you mentioned, Roby out of position.
harris never really arrived until it was too late for various reason and Akenton missed more shots than i can remember.........all while last year Taylor and Gill gave massive boosts off the bench and were real difference makes.
We thought going into the season that everyone was back and wed be better. Nope, we lost more than we realized.

4 Teams figure out how to stop Palmer after watching film last year and by mid season teams were shutting him down and that led him to go into a slump and our coach had no answer for it

Ill give you kudos though for making some good points though.
Some of your concerns didnt get corrected

I think your 3rd point can't be over stated. All 4 of the guys we lost off of this team played huge roles on last years teams. Gill and Taylor for scoring and defense and Okeke and Tshimanga as big bodies to throw at the other teams bigs. If nothing else they were 10 fouls to throw at the other team mixed with some rebounding. They went from a 9 man rotation to basically a 6-6.5 man rotation this year.

Miles is not a good coach I agree with that, but I have never thought this team was nearly as talented as others have thought they were. They have some really athletic guys on the team, but they aren't all that great a basketball players. Curtis Cotton was an athletic freak on testing day in the 90's on the football team. I don't think he ever started a game at Nebraska.

Roby, Nana, Davis, JPJ, Harris, Thor, and even Copeland all have the same body types, lean and long. Five of those guys are clones of each other 6'6" 205-215 with long arms. The only reason Roby isn't in that group is because he grew a couple of inches since he got to Lincoln. All athletic and none are great shooters. No true big men in the bunch. Ethan Happ probably wouldn't test athletically anywhere close to those guys, but he is a great bball player, free throws not withstanding

I agree that Miles isn't maximizing their abilities trying to shoot that many 3's, but I would take a little less athletic guys that can shoot a little better. Can't Nebraska find a couple of 6'3" guys that can come off a screen and make a 3 40% of the time? I know they would first have to set a screen.

Dang, you've almost run off at the mouth...err...hand like Lars. :wow:

Just follow the K.I.S.S. rule like post #4. :Biggrin:

I don’t see Copeland as being the reason for their demise either, but he would have been in a position to make the team far more balanced, and that would have improved their chances of toughening up that frail dynamic.

As much as I really like Roby, he’s early Scottie Pippen, or Michael Cooper, or Robert Horry. He’s a physical talent who can shine when other’s do the heavy lifting, but his game at this time can’t do that lifting.

This group, with the right leadership, is dancing. Now we get to see if we have the ability to find that right leadership.

And of course, I question player development under Miles. I do agree that Roby has a ton of raw talent, that we sometimes are blessed with seeing.

Nebraska, this season, really did have what has become a rare combination in college basketball -- talent and experience. That's typically how the non-basketball powers suddenly show up and make some noise in the postseason. They manage to get just enough of that second-tier talent (very good players -- but not the one-and-done, quick-stop-then-NBA types) that developed together over multiple years. It pains me whenever I ponder how much of an opportunity was wasted.

@LarstheRed - Thanks for the thread. @huskermike said the team was destined to fail when Miles was hired; I agree.

On Dec 6, I started a thread the day after Nebraska's collapse against Minnesota. I was pissed off because I saw some things that were characteristically typical of Tim Miles' tenure at Nebraska. Sure, they went on to beat a weak Creighton team and a weaker Oklahoma St but the proof was already put on display.

At 10:21 in the 2nd half, Nebraska made a 3-pointer and led by 11 (67 – 56). The players looked cocky and were half-assing it because they had the big lead. Remember, Nebraska was up by 13 points in the 2nd half. Minnesota coaches made adjustments; their players played motivated and outscored Nebraska 29 – 11 and won the game.

This is Nebraska's stat line for the final 10 minutes of the game:

(8) Fouls
(7) Rebounds
(2) Turnovers
(1) Block
(1) Assist
(3 of 12) Shooting including 0 for 4 3-Point FGs
(5 of 9) Free Throws
(1 point) Bench scoring

- Miles didn’t recruit well enough to create a bench or coach up his team to create depth.
- Miles' allowed his team to play with a pick-up game mentality.
- Miles was outcoached; his in-game decisions were nonexistent.
- What's the name of his offense? "Launch-a-3" or "5 guys looking to take a shot"?
- EFFORT! 3 or 4 players running down the court after a shot was taken (offensive or defensive) and NOT collapsing off the perimeter for the rebound. Why?
- Where in the hell is his point guard (1 assist) - seriously?
- Another scoring drought... shocker - not!
- No true big man on his roster and he hasn't had one in 7 years. In the Big Ten - are you kidding me?

And don't give me some crap about how a freaking consultant would have helped this team. Recruiting, player development, conditioning, in-game adjustments, offense, defense, in-game discipline and motivation are what a head coach is supposed to do. Here's a term to describe the state of Tim Miles' basketball program: FUBAR!

And of course, I question player development under Miles. I do agree that Roby has a ton of raw talent, that we sometimes are blessed with seeing.

Nebraska, this season, really did have what has become a rare combination in college basketball -- talent and experience. That's typically how the non-basketball powers suddenly show up and make some noise in the postseason. They manage to get just enough of that second-tier talent (very good players -- but not the one-and-done, quick-stop-then-NBA types) that developed together over multiple years. It pains me whenever I ponder how much of an opportunity was wasted.

How many players significantly got better under Miles? Webster? Shields? Slashing wings typically improved, shooters and posts never did.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back