• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The 1995 Huskers! Returning to championship form.

Who's the greatest team of all time?

• !995 Huskers

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • 1971 Huskers

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

First off....PLEASE..PLEASE..PLEASE send this video to the Husker locker room!!!!!!!!!

EXCELLENT!!!

I watched "as it happened" the 1971 season, (old man here).........they made Alabama appear like K-State of the day. Men amongst boys. All I heard leading up to that game was..."Johnny Musso this, Johnny Musso that"..."THE Bear this and that"...blah...blah...blah! Well, didn't take long to shut them up.

Quarter century passes, I'm in the stands for the K-St. game and once again men amongst boys ( total domination). Chad May bailed out as the K-St QB......I didn't blame him! Geeeez!........National Championship game, "Florida speed this, Husker lack of speed that...can't keep up....playing on grass (?)"

Deja Vu. Didn't take long to shut them up either. Eerily similar.....identical even.

With all that ....95 Huskers!!!!!!

Question 1: Yes, there will be a team some time. Alabama was a player away this year. Imagine if they had landed Deshaun Watson as a recruit. The get to the level of 1995, you have to pair an elite team with a great QB and it's rare that both line up that way, but not impossible.

#2, yes: One stat I always looked at for the 95 team was the average lead at the half was 30-7. They got after it and put the games away early. So, I looked at 71 and they were about 21-3 8 teams not scoring in the first half so definitely a contender.

But, considering the era and offenses in 1971, I have to give a clear edge to the 1995 team otherwise you have to start pulling in older teams such as 1944 Army that never gave up more than 7 points and had an average victory of 56-4.

In 1995, we faced a 2000 yd rusher and the top passer in the nation. In 1971, you just didn't have the passing threats that could be equalizers to defend against. Shutting down Wuerffel at 333 ypg and 65% is a whole lot different than the best QB's we saw in 1971 at 170 ypg and 50%. In 1971, you could have a great defense by stopping the run. In 1995, you had to have a complete defense for run and pass. Wuerffel's numbers seem small compared to today, but they were efficient and current to today's standards.

One other thing about 1995 is we averaged 7 yards per carry and 14 yards per completion.

#3, I don't know: I always felt the argument of Top 25 teams played is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the true championship level teams. There are generally only a handful of teams that they can't line up and beat if they play well. There is a huge gap from being a top 10 and a championship level, probably larger than #10 to #30.

That doesn't mean the stars can't align and you win a championship in a year where the top isn't as strong or there is an upset and you don't have to play one of those elite teams.

Last edited:
CO4NU- When you look at how 71 Nebraska beat the next 3 best teams in the country head to head (in dominating fashion for the 3 combine) and scored as many points (104) in those 3 games, which is the exact amount of points the Blackshirts gave up that entire year in their 13 game season, it's pretty awesome. Also, many people rank that 71 OU team as the best college team not to play for a national championship. Isn't it just too bad they had to play the Huskers. :)

RedRum- That's a pretty big if, to say if Alabama got Deshaun Watson. Wow! I think Nebraska can and will get back to not only the Big 10 Championship, but the National Championship. Clemson waited 35 years and they don't have near the history we do. It might take some time, or it might not I don't know, but either way I believe we'll get there. As far as 1944 Army I have heard about that team. Gotta admit, they're a tad before my time. But if you have any other stats concerning them then let's throw them in their too. 95 Huskers, 71 Huskers and 44 Army...who else?

Last edited:

RedRum- That's a pretty big if, to say if Alabama got Deshaun Watson. Wow! I think Nebraska can and will get back to not only the Big 10 Championship, but the National Championship. Clemson waited 35 years and they don't have near the history we do. It might take some time, or it might not I don't know, but either way I believe we'll get there. As far as 1944 Army I have heard about that team. Gotta admit, they're a tad before my time. But if you have any other stats concerning them then let's throw them in their too. 95 Huskers, 71 Huskers and 44 Army...who else?
I was more saying that 1995 was kind of like 2016 Bama if they had Deshaun Watson at QB with the rest of that team. You have teams that a great QB like Watson, Vince Young, Cam Newton carry a team to a national title. And you get great teams with a good qb that win. In 1995, you got both. I think that team could have won it all with a lot of other QB's out there and I also think Tommy Frazier could have carried a lessor team to the title like he almost did in 1993.

Because of the CCG and the playoffs, there is no way 1995 NU will hold with ratings such as 538. But let's do a what if the system existed in 1995.

Nebraska would have played a CCG against #7 Colorado (already beat 44-21) at the time. Then in the play-off's a #4 Notre Dame, Florida State, or Texas

On the other side Florida would have played Tennessee (already beat 62-37) and then the winner of Ohio State/Northwester who would have been #3.

Of the 5 possible play-off teams, only Florida State won their bowl game over Notre Dame. Those games would have likely only served for these two teams to build computer rankings on the all-time lists and cemented the legacy of the 95 team even more.

CO4NU- When you look at how 71 Nebraska beat the next 3 best teams in the country head to head (in dominating fashion for the 3 combine) and scored as many points (104) in those 3 games, which is the exact amount of points the Blackshirts gave up that entire year in their 13 game season, it's pretty awesome. Also, many people rank that 71 OU team as the best college team not to play for a national championship. Isn't it just too bad they had to play the Huskers. :)

Ok, I’m a homer but I go with 95 Huskers, 71 Huskers and 83 Huskers.
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213260280/alabama-best-national-title-game-losing-teams

One player separates the 95 Huskers from any contender. Terrell Farley. He simply could not be accounted for and is still the best defensive player in college since probably the 1970s. I have watched tons of film on him and he simply was a man among boys, even on his own defense.

If Clemson hung 35 on Bama, 95NU would have hung 50. They may have only been in the 20s at half, but if Clemson beat them down the Pipeline and Frazier and LP would have simply pounded them. I don't see how Bama could have scored more than 17. Florida95 was a great offense, Bama16 was one dimensional and didn't have great WRs. There running game would go nowhere vs. the Peters, Wistrom and Tomich. ESPN makes everyone believe that the latest is the greatest. Film tells a different story.

RedRum- I smell what you're cookin. I just think that those extra playoff games that will bump computer rankings also make it almost nearly impossible for a team to go 15-0. Now there's an extra conference championship game and 2 playoff games that didn't exist, along with Prop 48 and 85 scholarship limits. This Alabama team this year is the most dominant team with the best coach we've seen since 95. There's too many tough games and too many restrictions in my opinion. Anybody can beat anybody on a given day, especially since teams can't just offer scholarships to guys to simply keep them from playing for the competition anymore.

sdhusker- I agree with a lot of what you said. 95 Huskers vs 71 Huskers for me would be about Tommie Frazier and Lawrence Phillips vs that incredible 71 Blackshirts D. Also, 2 time National champ Jerry Tagge vs 2 time National champ Tommie Frazier. But the ultimate matchup to watch would be, possibly the greatest Husker Heisman winner Johnny Rodgers vs possibly the greatest Husker ever in Tommie Frazier, and to see who steals the show and makes the bigger plays, especially when it matters most like they both did multiple times. It's a pipe dream, but fun to think about.

The only advantage that the 1995 team had over the 1971 team is the difference in the athletes between eras. Clearly no one could see the 1971 team, as they existed (size, strength & speed), competing with the teams of today, BUT, you certainly could see the 1995 team doing just that at the very highest level, even after 21 years. That said, the 1995 team played an incredibly weak schedule by any measurement. Of their 4 ranked opponents, two of them were from Kansas...that's right, Kansas and K-State. They also played a ranked but not so special Colorado team and, of course, buried Florida. The 1971 team, also played a fairly weak overall schedule BUT just did happen to beat the #2 (OU), #3 (CU), #4 (AU) and likely #24 (or so, ISU) teams. They led the polls start to finish as #1 (except the pre-season poll where #2). They won 2 separate #1 vs #2 match-up's...something which might not have ever been accomplished by any other team. They had players that won the Heisman and 2 Outland trophies on the team. While 95 dominated everyone they played, overall their schedule was much weaker and the 71 teams' dominance over all but Oklahoma (another contender for all time greatness) was far more impressive. Personally, I think the 1971 team was the greatest of all time, but 95 was darn close and they played at a level that IMO would be competitive today.

Last edited:
I was too young to appreciate the '71 team, although I have seen the game on Youtube. I was in a bar, only guy with Huskers gear on, heart of the Mississippi coast, Biloxi. Every time Nebraska scored, I was pretty loud and boisterous, and my buddy was afraid we'd get jumped. We did get some eff you looks, but no one said anything. After the game, I had several Gators fans come by and say something like, "Congrats man, the Huskers are for real." The lady bartender actually bought us a pitcher of beer late in the game. Any way, all things considered, I'd still have to choose the 1995 Huskers as "The TEAM!" Those guys were bigger, faster, and just plain mean. 1995 Huskers.

Hard to go against the 1995 team, I go with them 1 and 71 at 2.

The 1971 team played a close game that year against #2 OU, 1995 beat the tar out of everyone. The 1995 team beat 4 teams that ended up in the top 10 by an average score of 49-18, they scored 50+ points in 5 of 12 games, and 49 in another. They scored 60+ 3 times, including an epic beat down of the #2 team, Florida, who won the NCAA title the following year.

The 1995 team averaged 550yds of offense per game, and 400 was rushing, think about that. Teams knew that Tommie, Brook, Ahman, Lawrence...etc. were coming, nothing you could do. When I think of domination in college football...no one touches this team; all this and they held opponents to around 14pt/game, and under 300yds of total offense, INCLUDING Florida, who they held to 269yds of offense

Look at this 2nd quarter vs. Florida:

Second quarter
NEB - Phillips 42 run (Brown kick) 14:28
NEB - Safety, Wuerffel sacked in end zone by Jamel Williams 12:42
NEB - Ahman Green 1 run (Brown kick) 9:13
NEB - Brown 26 field goal, 3:46
NEB - Michael Booker 42 interception return (Brown kick) 2:40
NEB - Brown 24 field goal, 0:08

In case you couldn't tell...I am slightly biased :Corn2::Corn2::Corn2:

Last edited:

Hard to go against the 1995 team, I go with them 1 and 71 at 2.

The 1971 team played a close game that year against #2 OU, 1995 beat the tar out of everyone. The 1995 team beat 4 teams that ended up in the top 10 by an average score of 49-18, they scored 50+ points in 5 of 12 games, and 49 in another. They scored 60+ 3 times, including an epic beat down of the #2 team, Florida, who won the NCAA title the following year.

The 1995 team averaged 550yds of offense per game, and 400 was rushing, think about that. Teams knew that Tommie, Brook, Ahman, Lawrence...etc. were coming, nothing you could do. When I think of domination in college football...no one touches this team; all this and they held opponents to around 14pt/game, and under 300yds of total offense, INCLUDING Florida, who they held to 269yds of offense

Look at this 2nd quarter vs. Florida:

Second quarter
NEB - Phillips 42 run (Brown kick) 14:28
NEB - Safety, Wuerffel sacked in end zone by Jamel Williams 12:42
NEB - Ahman Green 1 run (Brown kick) 9:13
NEB - Brown 26 field goal, 3:46
NEB - Michael Booker 42 interception return (Brown kick) 2:40
NEB - Brown 24 field goal, 0:08

In case you couldn't tell...I am slightly biased :Corn2::Corn2::Corn2:
The bolded, I was extremely vocal, yelling SAFETY, SAFETY SAFETY.....plus some other verbs. Then the next play happened, and YUP, SAFETY!!!! What glorious night that was......

The bolded, I was extremely vocal, yelling SAFETY, SAFETY SAFETY.....plus some other verbs. Then the next play happened, and YUP, SAFETY!!!! What glorious night that was......
I remember talking to my mom on the phone during the safety, and I was so giddy. I was holding our 1st born who was only 2 mo old at the time, and Bri loved watching the red on the TV. Mom says something like "it's not over yet" "a lot of game to be played" etc. and that is usually the exact mindset I operate in. BUT..on that night I remember saying mom, this one is over and it's going to get uglier...just watch. What a great night indeed. GBR!

Last edited:

Adam, I simply will never know as much about Neb football as you. Loved watching you play and pretty sure your intricacies of the defense and schemes is outstanding. I have watched and studied football and coaches for about 45 years and from the easy chair made some observations. I would like to know your perspective on Farley. All the "greatest of all time" teams ESPN pops up every year teams simply have no player or scheme to account for Farley. Not just defense, but special teams also. Roy Williams from OU was pretty good, Lavonte David was also, but not at Farley's level. Anyone who can tackle the punter while he is dropping the ball to punt is special. Never seen it before.
Pick NU71 or NU95??? Kind of like asking which of my children I love best. :) NU95 was never challenged and easily could have averaged a point a minute. Don't have enough film on NU71 to make an accurate comparison. Let's call them 1A and 1AA.

GET TICKETS

Back