• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas Tech vs Nebraska (1:00pm Sunday)

Yes, the defense has a right to the ball, just as the baserunner has a right to the baseline.

If they all came together at the same time: no call.

If Ashe is off of third moving toward second: no call.

What I heard from MA, FC, Cody has a right to catch the ball. Apparently, McGruder plowed into him, not sliding, but going head first into Cody's head with his shouler....... before he had a chance to catch the ball. That, in itself, should have had the kid called out. Anyway, I am just hoping, after he gets home, he improves, and has no complications. I hope his future is not in jeopardy, also. Case closed. :)

Last edited:

What I heard from MA, FC, Cody has a right to catch the ball. Apparently, McGruder plowed into him, not sliding, but going head first into Cody's head with his shouler....... before he had a chance to catch the ball. That, in itself, should have had the kid called out. Anyway, I am just hoping, after he gets home, he improves, and has no complications. I hope his future is not in jeopardy, also. Case closed.

I saw the replay (its on the highlights at Huskers.com). Asche was hanging out in the baseline apprx 5 feet from 3rd base. If Asche was where he was supposed to be, the runner is DEAD at third base. Why was Asche not moving toward his postition when the runner broke for 3rd? Total mental error.

The ump was right on with the no call.

A piece of work?....You barry bonds lover.....just leave it at that.

You whine about everything from ref's to us always being screwed.

Didn't see this one until this a.m. Seems, you are on my case, because I am a Barry Bond's fan? Now, I know where you are coming from. Silence your hate, p-ville. Your hate is very unhealthy. :( Oh, btw, why aren't you on the cases of others that "whine" about refs and being "screwed"? Bully! :eek:

Last edited:

I saw the replay (its on the highlights at Huskers.com). Asche was hanging out in the baseline apprx 5 feet from 3rd base. If Asche was where he was supposed to be, the runner is DEAD at third base. Why was Asche not moving toward his postition when the runner broke for 3rd? Total mental error.

The ump was right on with the no call.

Do you think, the throw back to Cody from 1b was a little off, so he had to be where he was? Just a thought.

I saw the replay, and wonder why McGruder didn't slide, instead of putting up his left elbow into Cody's head, who was hung out to dry? :( Cody may have been in his path, but, again, wonder why he didn't slide? From what I saw, McGruder put up his elbow, so he could prevent Cody from completing the catch. I know the kid felt bad, but that doesn't do Cody any good. I would hope, someone who was at the game could clear this up? :)

Thanks for your imput, FC.

Last edited:
Apparently, Cody was released from the hospital soon after the game. Let's hope for a speedy recovery.

Cody is very hot at the plate, so I hope he gets back, quickly! Don't want his bat to get cold, right? :) In any case, just want Cody to be well. :)

Do you think, the throw back to Cody from 1b was a little off, so he had to be where he was? Just a thought

Maybe, but it doesn't appear that Asche was moving toward second, and if the throw was off you'd think he would be (as Asche would've come off the bag to grab the bad throw).

It looks like Asched was just standing there, so I'm assuming one of three things happend:

1) Asche thought the out at first was the third out
2) Asche forgot about the baserunner at 2nd
3) Asche doesn't know what he's doing at 3rd base

I don't think the baserunner slid because Asche is so far off of third. If the runner would've started a slide where Asche was, he would've ended up a few feet short (kinda like Willie Mays Hayes in Major League)

Maybe, but it doesn't appear that Asche was moving toward second, and if the throw was off you'd think he would be (as Asche would've come off the bag to grab the bad throw).

It looks like Asched was just standing there, so I'm assuming one of three things happend:

1) Asche thought the out at first was the third out
2) Asche forgot about the baserunner at 2nd
3) Asche doesn't know what he's doing at 3rd base

I don't think the baserunner slid because Asche is so far off of third. If the runner would've started a slide where Asche was, he would've ended up a few feet short (kinda like Willie Mays Hayes in Major League)

Asche was not nearly as far off the bag as you suggest. He was up the line, but the runner definitely could have slid and made it to the base (when he hits Asche he has enough momentum to land on 3rd with his chest). Also, the runner did lower his shoulder and raise his forearm to deliver a blow to Asche. Hard to say if he should have been ejected because Asche was up the line, but I think it was much closer than you suggest.

Last edited:

Asche's right foot is apprx 5-6 foot from 3rd base. Are you suggesting the runner start his slide then?

Attachments

• Cheapshot1.jpg
    Cheapshot1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 120
Asche's right foot is apprx 5-6 foot from 3rd base. Are you suggesting the runner start his slide then?

Been a while since I slid into 3rd, so it is hard to say. If I recall, I use to start early, because of my speed. I had not problem sliding that early, head first. :) Ah, the good old days! :lol: I wasn't a great player, but I was fast! ;)

Looking at the video photo you show, you think, maybe, McGruder may have been undecided what to do? He is a great runner, but things do happen, bang-bang!

Without going back to the whole video of the play, didn't Cody start to turn around toward McGruder? I'll have to go back and recheck that. :confused:

Am I reading your question incorrectly? If so, what did you mean?

Well, I went back and tried to see the play, over and over and over! It was a bang-bang play, for sure. Hard to see if McGruder raised up his shoulder or not. Didn't
have much success, stopping the play long enough to see the elbow go into Cody, seeing if it was raised up on purpose, making the ball come out of Cody's glove. Any chance, you can make the video shot a little before the one you have? That could answer a lot of questions. As far as sliding, hard to say if he should have attempted that.

Last edited:

Yup, he would have had no problem sliding from there.

Interesting to me is the photos you posted have the runners sliding to avoid a tag at the bag. Do you have a photo of a runner sliding to avoid a tag when the 3rd baseman is hanging out in the baseline?

Here's what I think your missing in this whole picture (no pun intended) Braskypants, the runner does not have to slide as there is no rule on it. In fact, as I've said before, this is no one's fault but Asche's for hanging out in the baseline...

Interesting to me is the photos you posted have the runners sliding to avoid a tag at the bag. Do you have a photo of a runner sliding to avoid a tag when the 3rd baseman is hanging out in the baseline?

Here's what I think your missing in this whole picture (no pun intended) Braskypants, the runner does not have to slide as there is no rule on it. In fact, as I've said before, this is no one's fault but Asche's for hanging out in the baseline...

You stated that he was too far away too slide, and I am pointing out that that is not at all the case. The runner could have avoided a serious collision if he would have choose to. To your second point, in college baseball there is a collision rule, you can read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions. (Rule 8, section 7)

Collision Rule
SECTION 7. The rules committee is concerned about unnecessary and violent
collisions with the catcher at home plate, and with infielders at all bases. The
intent of this rule is to encourage base runners and defensive players to avoid such
collisions whenever possible.
When there is a collision between a runner and a fielder who clearly is in
possession of the ball, the umpire shall judge:
If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or base line with clear possession of
the ball, the runner may make contact, slide into or make contact with a fielder as
long as the runner is making a legitimate attempt to reach the base (plate). Contact
104 RULE 8 / BASE RUNING
above the waist that was initiated by the base runner shall not be judged as an
attempt to reach the base or plate.
(1) The runner must make an actual attempt to reach the base (plate).
PENALTY—If the runner attempts to dislodge the ball or initiates an
avoidable collision, the runner shall be declared out, even if the
fielder loses possession of the ball. The ball is dead and all other
base runners shall return to the last base touched at the time
of the interference.
(2) The runner may not attempt to dislodge the ball from the fielder. Contact
above the waist shall be judged by the umpire as an attempt by the runner
to dislodge the ball.
PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious before the runner touches
the plate, the runner shall be declared out and also ejected from
the contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base
runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the
interference.
(3) The runner must attempt to avoid a collision if he can reach the base
without colliding.
PENALTY—If the contact is flagrant or malicious after the runner touches
the base (plate), the runner is safe, but is ejected from the
contest. The ball is immediately dead and all other base
runners shall return to the last base touched at the time of the
interference. If this occurs at any base other than home, the
offending team may replace the runner.
If the contact occurs after a preceding runner touches home
plate, the preceding runner is safe. The ball is immediately dead
and all other base runners shall return to the last base touched
at the time of the contact.
(4) If the runner’s path to the base is blocked and (1), (2) and (3) are fulfilled,
it is considered unavoidable contact.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Sports+and+Championship/Baseball/Playing+Rules/Baseball+Rules+of+the+Game

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back