• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tate Martell

Turd Ferguson

There's always next year
5 Year Member
Can someone explain why Tate Martell was granted a waiver to the transfer rule? And if you can explain that, then can you also explain why there is a transfer rule at all?

The days of free agency in college football are upon us...

It will be interesting to look back in a decade and see what percentage of players applied for and were granted 'Hardship waivers'. I don't have a problem with this case, because the head coach is no longer the head coach. It satisfies one of the reasons I think is legitimately a hardship. It more than likely means less in this case than the Fields transfer to Ohio State does, but whatever. Can't speak to the kids' overall doucheyness, but commitments to Washington, A&M, Ohio State and now a transfer to Miami doesn't paint a well rounded picture.

The end of the waiting period is near and it will be a bad thing for college football (and probably basketball).

That said, Martell may be a douche but he's the real deal and i'm shedding zero tears that he is out of the Big 10. I watched the Amazon series that featured both Martell and Fields (might have been separate seasons). Martell, again likely a douche, was a gamer. Fields, on the other hand, sought multiple opportunities to exit games to avoid the risk of injury. Maybe he'll be great. But I have serious doubts just based on watching that show...which I will acknowledge could have had some creative editing.

Last edited:
The end of the waiting period is near and it will be a bad thing for college football (and probably basketball).

That said, Martell may be a douche but he's the real deal and i'm shedding zero tears that he is out of the Big 10. I watched the Amazon series that featured both Martell and Fields (might have been separate seasons). Martell, again likely a douche, was a gamer. Fields, on the other hand, sought multiple opportunities to exit games to avoid the risk of injury. Maybe he'll be great. But I have serious doubts just based on watching that show...which I will acknowledge could have had some creative editing.

From a pure talent standpoint, Fields is in a whole other level than Martell. But that doesn't matter when you get on the field. My issue with Martell is when it came out that Fields was considering OSU, Martell sent out a troll tweet basically insinuating that Fields should choose wisely because he was going to be the backup to Martell. And then a few weeks later, Martell promptly announces he is transferring.

From a pure talent standpoint, Fields is in a whole other level than Martell. But that doesn't matter when you get on the field. My issue with Martell is when it came out that Fields was considering OSU, Martell sent out a troll tweet basically insinuating that Fields should choose wisely because he was going to be the backup to Martell. And then a few weeks later, Martell promptly announces he is transferring.
Curious why you think Fields is on a "whole other level"? Martell was the #2 dual threat in 2017...fields was the #1 dual threat in 2018. Their limited stats as freshmen are very similar with any real edge (very small) going to Martell. We shall see. Fields should have a better supporting cast at least initially.

Curious why you think Fields is on a "whole other level"? Martell was the #2 dual threat in 2017...fields was the #1 dual threat in 2018. Their limited stats as freshmen are very similar with any real edge (very small) going to Martell. We shall see. Fields should have a better supporting cast at least initially.

Fields is just a ridiculous specimen. Maybe mentally he isn't strong, but athletically he's a better thrower than Vince Young and every bit the runner.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back