• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tanner Lee Named Starting Quarterback

Convince me! PSU is defending champs. They have an excellent offense, and we have to play In Happy Valley. That has loss plastered all over it. But that's just me.

I'll say this, if we beat Wisky, we could play fourteen games this year.
Convince you of what? My opinion? What they did last year means nothing this year. I didn't straight up say we will win, I said I think. I "think" means just that, no convincing needed.

Convince you of what? My opinion? What they did last year means nothing this year. I didn't straight up say we will win, I said I think. I "think" means just that, no convincing needed.
Give me a reason to believe you. Yes, what they did last year is fully relevant. And that was a young team which beat OSU.

This is overrated. People said Kevin Durant would need years to get stronger. He only dominated from the start pretty much. If Gebbia is the most talented, has the most upside, you play him. The game is more than just sheer strength. Who gives a ---- if he looks the part, the question is, can he play the part. If he can, play him. That's all.
OK that is enough silliness. First of all Kevin Durant plays BASKETBALL. Not even 1970s and 80s basketball where guys got clotheslined and that was OK. Basketball is not football. No 300# guy is going to tackle him repeatedly during a game while he stands there waiting for the hit. This is a common occurrence for a D1 NCAA QB.

Also the reason you name a starter now is because you cannot continue to split the reps in fall camp the way they did in the Spring. If you want to improve the timing between the WR and QB they need more reps than the backups. The WCO is based on timing between them. You improve timing with reps.

Also to SoCal. Upside does not mean someone is ready NOW.

Wow...I ever thought I'd defend Socal but he has it more or less right in this post.

POB beating out Lee would NOT have been beating out a 2 year starter. Period.

If POB is the best yes, he should start. I don't think socal said he is the best. Seemed like it was in response to Yeungling's "I'd be upset if he beat out a 2 year starter". I agree with Socal's assessement...I couldn't care less about Lee's 2 years at Tulane and he had no seniority HERE. IF POB is better he should start. Obviously, as of right now that doesn't appear to be the case.

It will be interesting to see how Lee does if he stays the starter. His stats at Tulane were poor. Yes, apparently he had a bad line. Until proven otherwise so does NU. The resident expert here (***...and I'm not being a smart a--) clearly reported that on the run/under pressure Lee isn't very good (I'm paraphrasing). That's a concern until the OL shows they can protect consistently. I've mentioned many times a particular study I saw that basically showed that what a guy is in his first 8 games or so as a QB....that's who he is. I hope that the change of scenery does wonders for Lee. But I wouldn't exactly throw in the towel if I was POB.

I think most believe Gebbia appeared to have the most upside. Of course that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks but it's a fair statement.

So...Socal...enjoy it...it might be a while before I agree with you again. :)
Do you not remember someone named Zac Taylor. He could not make it at a bottom feeder ACC school. Then he went to Juco. He came here and did pretty good. I think I would be OK if Lee could pass for over 3,000 yards in a season. Especially if we could add a 1000 yard rusher as well.

OK that is enough silliness. First of all Kevin Durant plays BASKETBALL. Not even 1970s and 80s basketball where guys got clotheslined and that was OK. Basketball is not football. No 300# guy is going to tackle him repeatedly during a game while he stands there waiting for the hit. This is a common occurrence for a D1 NCAA QB.

Also the reason you name a starter now is because you cannot continue to split the reps in fall camp the way they did in the Spring. If you want to improve the timing between the WR and QB they need more reps than the backups. The WCO is based on timing between them. You improve timing with reps.

I'm well aware of that, and nowhere have I even hinted that Gebbia should be the starter. In fact, quite the opposite. I did say that I thought he played better than the others, and he was going against the first and second team defense. He impressed me more than any other QB.

Do you not remember someone named Zac Taylor. He could not make it at a bottom feeder ACC school. Then he went to Juco. He came here and did pretty good. I think I would be OK if Lee could pass for over 3,000 yards in a season. Especially if we could add a 1000 yard rusher as well.
Don't hold your breath on a thousand yard rusher. More likely three guys who gain around 600 to 700 each. At least I hope so.

I'm aware of that. Just seems like to me, the coaches prolly feel it's a bigger gap. I never said Gebbia should start. I said, "if".

A couple of points. First, Gebbia did not look like the second coming of Tom Brady. He played against players on the first team, but not against a first team defense. In addition, he got a lot of plays against a varying set of players going in and out. So I for one will remain skeptical about his ability in hot bullet games against real defenses. Give him time and I think he will be good, maybe even really good, but he's not shown he is ready to take the reins of the first team offense. And frankly, it would be good if he could grow a couple of inches up the way they were knocking down his passes at the line of scrimmage.

Second, no one mentions Bunch and that's fine. He probably has the least upside potential of any of the four. But he is not unseasoned (albeit against lesser opposition) and he will be the third QB we use this year in my judgement, unless the first two get some kinds of season ending injury early in the season. In other words, if we have a short run problem at QB because of injuries, MR will go to Bunch not Gebbia, a good move in my opinion. I recognize that Bunch is on the team to provide an additional practice arm. But I really don't think MR wants to put Gebbia on the firing line this year. So while Gebbia is the third QB in terms of skills and upside, he is not the third string QB, IMO, if the title goes with who will come off the bench as the third starting QB this year.

1. POB will absolutely be the fan favorite the minute Lee struggles...and he will eventually. That's the nature of fandom. NU fans didn't invent it.

2. Why would you have been upset if POB won the job? 2 year starter but not at NU.

3. 3 man battle? Like heading into 2018? Not likely. If Lee plays well and is healthy he's likely the man in 2018 also. If not, I don't want to think about what happened in 2017.
1 Never said Nebraska invented the idea that the backup love affair with the fan base. Simply hope it doesn't happen.
2. We all read that Lee's experience would be a real plus for him. No way this is a knock on O'Brien he certainly has all the tools and leadership ability.
3. If you don't think that the 3rd string isn't going to push both Lee and O'Brien you didn't watch him play against the number one defense behind the backup line.
4. Husker QB future is better than its been in a very long time.

Anyone ever wonder if Lee would opt out for the NFL in 2018 if he has a really good season for the Huskers this fall? Not trying to start a war, here. Just asking a question. It is a possibility.

If he has a really good year, it may come down to what other QBs will be in the draft, and what does the year after that look like. If there is slim pickings in the draft after next season, it may be the time to jump depending on his projected draft spot.

Not sure how Taylor is relevant to the conversation but yes remember him well.

If he has a really good year, it may come down to what other QBs will be in the draft, and what does the year after that look like. If there is slim pickings in the draft after next season, it may be the time to jump depending on his projected draft spot.
This is true. there have been plenty of QBs who were drafted in the first round simply because teams needed a QB and they were the best available. QB is the one position that teams will take a shot on in the first round.

This is true. there have been plenty of QBs who were drafted in the first round simply because teams needed a QB and they were the best available. QB is the one position that teams will take a shot on in the first round.
He is a QB who had an average career at a lesser school. Came here and set the world on fire.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back