• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Taggart Quotes On Oregon

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Interesting read that I picked up in a local copy of Ducks Illustrated. Not sure if there's an online copy, but I've typed out the text below.

Taggart on style:
"We're going to be fun to watch. You will see tempo. You'll see us be lethal simplicity: sharp, fine and simple... fast."

On practice and blue collar work:
"I want to practice like pros. If you've ever been to a pro football practice, they don't do a lot of tackling, but they go fast and stay off the ground. It's important we go fast and be where we're supposed to be fundamentally."

If I'm a Duck fan, those words concern me. Sounds like more of the same from Oregon: winning on speed and not mass. Historically, the teams that Oregon has struggled with have been in more of a B1G/SEC mold with a punishing ground game and physical line play that wears the Ducks out.

Previous coaches have won by playing keep-away and letting the other team try to dig themselves out of a points deficit. But teams that can stand toe to toe with Oregon and punch them in the mouth (see: Wisconsin, OSU, Stanford, Auburn, TCU, 2016 Nebraska) have a decent chance of winning the game.

If Taggart is continuing with the fast-but-flimsy style, here's hoping the Blackshirts can snap a few ball carriers in half.

Interesting read that I picked up in a local copy of Ducks Illustrated. Not sure if there's an online copy, but I've typed out the text below.

Taggart on style:
"We're going to be fun to watch. You will see tempo. You'll see us be lethal simplicity: sharp, fine and simple... fast."

"I want to practice like pros. If you've ever been to a pro football practice, they don't do a lot of tackling, but they go fast and stay off the ground. It's important we go fast and be where we're supposed to be fundamentally."

If I'm a Duck fan, those words concern me. Sounds like more of the same from Oregon: winning on speed and not mass. Historically, the teams that Oregon has struggled with have been in more of a B1G/SEC mold with a punishing ground game and physical line play that wears the Ducks out.

Previous coaches have won by playing keep-away and letting the other team try to dig themselves out of a points deficit. But teams that can stand toe to toe with Oregon and punch them in the mouth (see: Wisconsin, OSU, Stanford, Auburn, TCU, 2016 Nebraska) have a decent chance of winning the game.

If Taggart is continuing with the fast-but-flimsy style, here's hoping the Blackshirts can snap a few ball carriers in half.

I also like the "practice like pros" comment and not being physical in practice. You make good points about the style of teams that beat them. Stanford used to slow the game down and physically dominate them. I think we can do the same.

I'd be surprised if their D doesn't improve under the new coordinator, but that does sound a bit odd.
They definitely will improve under Leavitt, but it will take them at least half the season to show it. Look at Colorado as an example.

Pro's practice that way because they know how to tackle and how to prepare for the season. College kids need to learn proper technique.

I agree with this for the most part...the only objection is that the increase of concussion monitoring I feel would lead HS coaches to focus more and more on proper tackling

I agree with this for the most part...the only objection is that the increase of concussion monitoring I feel would lead HS coaches to focus more and more on proper tackling
They do as do a lot of youth programs now. All are required to get Heads up tackling certification now. They also teach you techniques how to teach tackling without going head to head. Does not mean you should never do it. I would plan to use power backs running right at them if they never tackle in practice. Oz and the full backs all day.

They definitely will improve under Leavitt, but it will take them at least half the season to show it. Look at Colorado as an example.
I'm cool if they put it all together in week three.

They do as do a lot of youth programs now. All are required to get Heads up tackling certification now. They also teach you techniques how to teach tackling without going head to head. Does not mean you should never do it. I would plan to use power backs running right at them if they never tackle in practice. Oz and the full backs all day.

One of the winningest coaches in the state told me last week they are teaching 'head behind' rather than 'head in front' when tackling at an angle across the body. Emphasis is on wrapping up and rolling vs striking. I'll have to aee it I guess.

Unfortunately, I still see midget coaches telling kids to "be tough" and stick their head in there. Saw a DL coach basically teaching kids to lead with the crown of the helmet. Really unfortunate.

Seems to me like Tggart is telling the fans exactly what they want to hear. They are used to a super fast tempo and that's likely what their fans want. Taggart is taking the easiest road to the heart of the fanbase. And, the semi-local NFL franchise has been going pretty well, or at least that's what I thought I've heard (don't follow the NFL at all)...so identifying with NFL practice techniques seems like it would be agreeable to fans as well. Now, if he were at Nebraska, he'd be getting crucified by fans. MR has a different row to hoe.

Taggart on style:

Although I agree they are lacking the physicality as mentioned, I read this a little differently. He's talking about being in position(s) at a high rate of speed. Play like you practice. Execute at a high speed. You sacrifice one for the other.

Taggart on style:

It's funny ... Howard Griffith said the same thing about the Husker practice during their BTN visit. He said the Husker practice was the best one he had seen so far on their tour.

It's funny ... Howard Griffith said the same thing about the Husker practice during their BTN visit. He said the Husker practice was the best one he had seen so far on their tour.

I like that HG feels that way as they were gushing over the PSU practice.

C

The reality is that few (if any) teams are live tackling in practice on a routine basis. Remember when Mark Banker said Iowa's practices must be a "blood bath?" Ferentz told the media that his team didn't practice with contact all week leading up to the NU game.

The recent interview with Mike Gundy is also revealing in terms of practice habits in today's college game: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...wboys-mike-gundy-reflects-rant-10-years-later

The 10 years since the rant (ie, "I'm 40") have taught Gundy to trade in the pedal-to-the-metal and CYA for CEO. He moves from department to department, taking the temperature of every room. He spends practices taking in a 30,000-foot perspective from a 50-foot tower. Those practices are downright light and fluffy compared to the jawbreaker sessions he used to map out. The Cowboys haven't run a full-tackle "kick his ass" practice in nine years, and as a result have seen less fatigue and more success down the homestretch of seasons.

He's now as much physiologist as football strategist, talking less about spreads and coverage reads and more about sleep studies, heart loads, GPS step-tracking and mental health. He pores over sociology studies of millennials: "What motivated me when I was playing, that doesn't work anymore."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back