• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

T Fraz = the best college football player of all time?

Husker Marine

Recruit
5 Year Member
Reading the article written by a Miami blogger on the front page about Cory Schlesinger being the #2 guy that causes nightmares for Canes fans, I couldn't help but notice his opinion on Tommie:

"With the greatest college football player of all-time, Tommie Frazier on the bench, Nebraska needed a spark from somewhere."

Personally, I was shocked when he didn't win the Heisman. And when you think of the top 5 plays of all time, top 5 games of all time, top 5 seasons of all time, and top 5 career win loss records, Tommie's is up there in each category...

Do you all agree with the writer's opinion on this? If not, who do you think gets that spot?

Reading the article written by a Miami blogger on the front page about Cory Schlesinger being the #2 guy that causes nightmares for Canes fans, I couldn't help but notice his opinion on Tommie:

"With the greatest college football player of all-time, Tommie Frazier on the bench, Nebraska needed a spark from somewhere."

Personally, I was shocked when he didn't win the Heisman. And when you think of the top 5 plays of all time, top 5 games of all time, top 5 seasons of all time, and top 5 career win loss records, Tommie's is up there in each category...

Do you all agree with the writer's opinion on this? If not, who do you think gets that spot?
Yep. Hands down, best CFB player ever.

I was disappointed but not surprised. Voters look at numbers; they have to because they can't possibly see all the contenders play on a regular basis. For a QB, the numbers they look at are passing stats. Frazier's passing numbers were not that impressive: 56% completion rate and 1,362 yards, especially when compared to Wuerffel's 65% and 3,266 yards.
Eddie George, who won the Heisman that year, ran for almost 2,000 yards with just under 6 yds per carry. Frazier's intangibles were invaluable but it's hard to justify a vote, IMO, based on a feeling that, "he's really good."

Take a look at the list of Heisman trophy winners from the past and it's clear Frazier was not the best college football player of all time.

Aside, NU's winners and the % of total possible points, per Wikipedia:
Rodgers, 38.75%
Rozier, 57.17%
Crouch, 27.75%

Highest percentage: 2006, Troy Smith, Ohio State, 91.63% (Reggie Bush got 91.77% the year before, but his award was vacated)
Lowest percentage: 1952, Billy Vessels, Oklahoma, 14.32%

You could certainly make a case for him as the GOAT but there is some pretty good competition that goes along with that debate.

I was disappointed but not surprised. Voters look at numbers; they have to because they can't possibly see all the contenders play on a regular basis. For a QB, the numbers they look at are passing stats. Frazier's passing numbers were not that impressive: 56% completion rate and 1,362 yards, especially when compared to Wuerffel's 65% and 3,266 yards.
Eddie George, who won the Heisman that year, ran for almost 2,000 yards with just under 6 yds per carry. Frazier's intangibles were invaluable but it's hard to justify a vote, IMO, based on a feeling that, "he's really good."

Take a look at the list of Heisman trophy winners from the past and it's clear Frazier was not the best college football player of all time.

Aside, NU's winners and the % of total possible points, per Wikipedia:
Rodgers, 38.75%
Rozier, 57.17%
Crouch, 27.75%

Highest percentage: 2006, Troy Smith, Ohio State, 91.63% (Reggie Bush got 91.77% the year before, but his award was vacated)
Lowest percentage: 1952, Billy Vessels, Oklahoma, 14.32%
I don't think this method lends itself to comparing one player to another except within the same Heisman voting year.

I don't think this method lends itself to comparing one player to another except within the same Heisman voting year.
You're right, it's really just a measure of how good the talent was in any given year. I wasn't really comparing; just thought the numbers were interesting.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back