• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Strength & Conditioning Stories & More...

Why does it take an experienced, 63 year old coach 3, 4, 5 years when young, hungry coaches go into programs and turn them around fast? No excuses. In most instances, the programs are in much worse shape than NU has ever been in. I'd bet, you're gonna see Texas take off fast.
Agree to a point. The immediate burst of energy coaches seem to flame out or find themselves under investigation. A few really do emerge as legitimate dudes, but the odds are small. Riley is looking long term, maybe longer than we'd like, but it's the tried and true way here if we can stand it. Best case scenario is he builds it to a point where someone can come in and the transition is relatively seamless and we move on with a much better program than he inherited. If he does that, he'll probably have a statue somewhere but it'll take time. Hoping it turns out that way rather than dumpster fires and effigy burnings anyway.

Agree to a point. The immediate burst of energy coaches seem to flame out or find themselves under investigation. A few really do emerge as legitimate dudes, but the odds are small. Riley is looking long term, maybe longer than we'd like, but it's the tried and true way here if we can stand it. Best case scenario is he builds it to a point where someone can come in and the transition is relatively seamless and we move on with a much better program than he inherited. If he does that, he'll probably have a statue somewhere but it'll take time. Hoping it turns out that way rather than dumpster fires and effigy burnings anyway.
Riley doesn't have long term time. He's 63, fast heading to 64. He's more wallered than built. The easiest answer is, his philosophies suck, and are not conducive to quick turnarounds. Takes YEARS. Seems he's trying though, I give him kudos for the changes he's made. Firing some buddies. Hoping the new blood around him can only help "him" succeed. Never hurts to have smart people around you. Have to see moving forward.

Curious to know what those were that needed 2 years to figure out.
2 years ago we started out with a special teams, offensive & defensive coordinator. 2 of those 3 guys along with a D-line coach after only 1 season have all been fired. This off-season he's not only brought it a new D. coordinator, but he's completely changed the type of defense their playing & it will now take time to build. Like I mentioned before, I do like the direction we're headed & some of the changes he's made, but these are the types of things that shouldn't have taken 2 years to figure out in my opinion.

2 years ago we started out with a special teams, offensive & defensive coordinator. 2 of those 3 guys along with a D-line coach after only 1 season have all been fired. This off-season he's not only brought it a new D. coordinator, but he's completely changed the type of defense their playing & it will now take time to build. Like I mentioned before, I do like the direction we're headed & some of the changes he's made, but these are the types of things that shouldn't have taken 2 years to figure out in my opinion.
I guess I see it as starting with known guys on his staff other than Hughes. He had to hit the ground running and went with guys he hoped could get it done. I think he made the decision to focus on the program and players and attempting to correct a number of things not the least of which was the underlying culture. I admire Coach Riley for having the good sense and courage to let coaches go who were long-time friends and do what was right for the program and players. I believe he has clearly demonstrated he is dedicated to taking our program to the next level and is willing to do whatever it takes. And with his savvy and experience, he definitely knows what it will take. I think HCR's Osborne-like demeanor and personality hide the soul of a fierce competitor. I read an article early in HCR's tenure here where several PAC 12 coaches described him as "the grandfatherly assassin."

Riley inherited at least a questionable culture, ill-fitting pieces and a lack of talent in a few areas. He may have wanted coaches like Diaco, Parella, etc., but similar quality coaches were not available when he came here. Start with what you know and make changes efficiently when you have to. I think we will see within 2-3 years that we will be in a much better place.

Or what Warhorse said......

Last edited:
I see where you're both coming from and I completely agree with "the grandfatherly assassin" description. Also, the culture wasn't good when he arrived. But, the one thing that especially makes me hesitate to entirely agree with both of you is the complete change in defense. These are literally the 2 most opposite styles of defense on planet earth. He could have hired a 3-4 coach a couple years ago instead of being a couple years behind the 8 ball now, especially in recruiting the types of players needed. If he wanted Diaco when he became available, then I'm cool with him letting the other D. coordinator go & the transition wouldn't have been near as big. Let me reiterate, for 2 years I've consistently defended Riley & I still believe in a couple years from now the program will be much better because of him. I've also preached patience & with a new QB & new defense we'll definitely need that. But I am bothered that it's year 3 & I feel like he still needs 2-3 more years to be properly evaluated because of a couple of his decisions.

I see where you're both coming from and I completely agree with "the grandfatherly assassin" description. Also, the culture wasn't good when he arrived. But, the one thing that especially makes me hesitate to entirely agree with both of you is the complete change in defense. These are literally the 2 most opposite styles of defense on planet earth. He could have hired a 3-4 coach a couple years ago instead of being a couple years behind the 8 ball now, especially in recruiting the types of players needed. If he wanted Diaco when he became available, then I'm cool with him letting the other D. coordinator go & the transition wouldn't have been near as big. Let me reiterate, for 2 years I've consistently defended Riley & I still believe in a couple years from now the program will be much better because of him. I've also preached patience & with a new QB & new defense we'll definitely need that. But I am bothered that it's year 3 & I feel like he still needs 2-3 more years to be properly evaluated because of a couple of his decisions.

It looks to me like he faced a choice of standing pat (with his Special Teams Coordinator and DC) and risk not improving vs. accepting the risk of making changes with the possibility of greater improvement. I like that. By trading Read and Banker for Williams and Diaco, we got significantly better at recruiting. I like that, too. I understand those people who say, "Shouldn't Riley have known that Read and Banker weren't going to cut it?" I mean, he'd worked with them for years. He knew them as well as anyone. There is validity to this argument. But to my way of thinking, it's better that he pulled the trigger and made the changes rather than standing pat and risking being stuck at the level we are now. It shows a competitive fire that may not be obvious upon first inspection. Riley wants to win. Otherwise, why make these relatively dramatic changes?

Last edited:
1. The program is already better because of him.
2. There seemed to be general agreement when HCR was hired that it would take 3-4 years to get the program back to a championship level. Why be bothered about what you think should have happened from day 1? At least Riley is making what he sees as necessary changes in a timely fashion now.

Brew City Husker-
I've never been one to question his calm demeanor. People couldn't stand Bo's demeanor then complained Riley doesn't show enough enthusiasm on the sideline. That never made sense to, especially after decades of Tom Osborne. I have no doubt Riley wants to win. What strikes me is getting rid of 2/3 of your coordinators and changing your entire defensive scheme 2 years in. A veteran coach like him shouldn't have what appears to me to be this learning curve.

Warhorse-
1- There is no actual evidence of the program actually being better yet. (Although I do agree with you because the atmosphere & culture has definitely improved).
2- Ever since Riley was hired I said give him 4 years. That's what I said day 1 & that has not changed at all. As far as him making necessary timely changes now, the "now" part is what bothers me. I'd be surprised with the drastic defensive changes we just made if were back at the championship level we want to be in 1-2 years from right now (even though it's possible & I hope I'm wrong). It will most likely take 3-4 years from now, that's a total of 5-6 years. That's if Husker fans remain patient, which I've talked plenty off a ledge the past couple seasons.

Just in general:
If you read my Chronicles I used to write every Sunday night after Husker games 2 years ago, you know that I defended Riley week in & week out against people who wanted to fire him. Last season, especially after Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee I defended him again against people who wanted to fire him. Firing a coach that quickly is ridiculous. I've not all of a sudden turned against Riley at all, but there has to be some middle ground. It can't be, we love what he's doing now, then when there's a bad game or 2, now he needs to be fired. I've always said 4 years is a good evaluation. It does strike me as interesting that he seems to have gained job security through firing other people. I do understand & agree with people who like the moves he made, but to me it's still 4 years. Interestingly enough, he fired the D coordinator even though the defense improved quite a bit while the offense did not & actually did less with more. I do like the Diaco hiring & the 3-4 defense, but the 3-4 could have been implemented 2 years ago. Here's my point, I like what he's doing & I think he's doing it the right way. Doing it the right way takes time which requires patience, which is what I've preached for 2 years. What bothers me is the need to make so many dramatic changes 2 years in, which sets us behind where we could have been especially with a veteran coach. I'm willing to wait a little longer if it's gets us the results we want, but I do think this should be part of the evaluation process as well.

Last edited:

I believe players on hand is what has facilitated his decision to move to the 3-4 and to be fair he has a much better understanding of his roster now than he did after a couple meetings and film review a couple weeks after he was hired. Also I don't think he expected to see 4 D-Lineman leave the program after his first season. To that point he did not wait two years but instead let the DL coach go after one season. The program is in good hands.

C

I believe players on hand is what has facilitated his decision to move to the 3-4 and to be fair he has a much better understanding of his roster now than he did after a couple meetings and film review a couple weeks after he was hired. Also I don't think he expected to see 4 D-Lineman leave the program after his first season. To that point he did not wait two years but instead let the DL coach go after one season. The program is in good hands.

C

I agree with this as well. I'll toss in he's more aware of the ability to recruit to the differing styles on offense and defense. The one major issue we've had for over 15 years has been getting in good pass rushing Ends. We've made due with a few tweeners, but other than Gregory (and that wasn't a great model), we haven't attracted those athletes. This might be the staff's way of working around that problem.

I agree with this as well. I'll toss in he's more aware of the ability to recruit to the differing styles on offense and defense. The one major issue we've had for over 15 years has been getting in good pass rushing Ends. We've made due with a few tweeners, but other than Gregory (and that wasn't a great model), we haven't attracted those athletes. This might be the staff's way of working around that problem.

Agreed and it is not until he has had at least a season in the program that he gets a clear picture of his personnel. I would also say that since the previous staff ran a 4-3 that he would assume that is the type of players and depth he has. After two season he sees that a 3-4 may be better suited to the roster and makes a change. That is a professional right there.

C

C
I agree the program is in good hands. What about the defensive roster before signing day and now makes you look at it & think this is significantly better suited for the 3-4 specifically? Experienced nose guard? Big middle backers? 2 good outside rushers? I like the 3-4 & the move to it, but this defensive roster doesn't scream 3-4 vs another type of defense. I don't think that defensive line coach decision could have been much easier after year 1. A new coach is supposed to implement what he believes & his schemes right away. Now at first you have to tweak things until you get the appropriate personnel, but that's not what happened. I hope the fans who are happy with Riley right now aren't screaming for his head the first time something major goes wrong. That being said I am very intrigued for spring ball & even more excited for the season.

Offensively, I think that this will be the first year where Riley has the type of personnel that he believes it will take to make his offensive philosophy work. But, it will likely take those guys about 2 years on the field for things to click. I think the offense is going to see significant changes this year because of the shift in personnel, and rarely does a "new offense" click in year 1. That puts us at year 4 before I think we really see what a Riley offense is supposed to be. I do think that the last 2 years have been a square peg/round hole for TA and DL. It is nobody's fault. The only thing is whether MR got his system QB early enough. They essentially passed on recruiting a QB in their first class because there just wasn't enough time. You wonder if they should have gone after a JUCO QB earlier. Not trying to bash TA, it just is what it is. Same thing with WRs. Now, the quality of WRs recruited in this class is outstanding. But, the returning talent and experience are few. This is due to Bo's last class and MR's first class largely being busts at WR, and last year's haul just plain missed with Fitz. This year, it was mentioned on here numerous times that NU needed at least 4, likely 5 WRs in this class - they got 3. That is essentially 3 or 4 classes in a row where the WR numbers are lacking, which is yielding a lack of depth now. Those kinds of issues could hurt the development of the offense now that Riley has a couple system QB's ready to take the field. We desperately need this entire new WR class to develop quickly and contribute immediately. FWIW, I am not sure I am that impressed with Reggie Davis' recruiting or coaching so far. Don't get me wrong, I like Tre Bryant, Ozigbo, and Wilbon. But, I just wonder if guys like Ozigbo and Jaylin Bradley are the caliber of players that we need to elevate the position? I kind of wish that MR had retained Ron Brown. Personally, IMHO, Davis is next in line for the hot seat. The fact that NU is moving to a more pass-oriented offense, I just wonder if this lack of focus on the running game is starting to rub off on recruiting/coaching the position. Also, I will say that NU's offense was hit especially hard with the injury bug this year... which I think had as much to do with the offensive regression as did other factors.

I agree with Adam on the defensive side of the ball. FWIW, we did have some very nice DEs around 2009-2010 with guys like Pierre Allen. Yes, it is encouraging that MR is willing to pull the trigger on staff changes if he sees an issue. But, I think what Adam is getting at is that plenty of Husker fans questioned how smart it was to bring Banker along from OSU. Husker fans could see it from day one. But, it took MR 2 years to figure that out. Hindsight is 20/20, but you hope that MR's foresight is a little better than his track record so far on coaching hires. I will say that MR is making upgrades to his staff. But, will we say in 2 years that Davis' replacement should have been foreseen now? Same goes for coach Cav. Cav says and does the right things. Recruiting the OL has been decent. But, are we recruiting at a high enough level across the board on the OL, and are we seeing the development and toughness necessary? I'm not sold yet. (Getting a little off track with offense here). But, I think Adam is saying that MR probably should have hired a guy like Diaco on day 1 instead of waiting for 2 years. As Adam said, going from the 4-3 to the 3-4 is a big defensive change. As we saw in 2015, new defense = learning curve and drop in performance. 2016, or year 2, saw improvement because players finally bought in and had more time to learn the defense on an instinctual level. Because of Diaco, we are now back at year 1 for the D. We could easily see a regression by the D this year as they transition again to learning a new D. That's not a knock on Diaco. It just means that it will likely be year 4 before we see dramatic improvement by the D now.

Finally, I agree that Riley has NU in a better place mentally/culturally than they were at the end of Bo's tenure. But, something that I wondered about on day 1 of the MR era was would MR players have that physical/toughness edge that they had under Bo? I think most of us agreed that Bo recruited players that would run through a brick wall for him. (There were other issues, though.) But, as we saw this year, MR's team improved but they seemed to lack the fire, energy, and toughness. See the Iowa game. Yet, the blowout loss raised its head again. So, there are still issues with the culture/mentality. Maybe Diaco and Donte will help with that. Adam is right that there is no tangible evidence yet of overall improvement. MR still hasn't exceeded the results by Bo. But, I think most of us can see that there is momentum in the building blocks to success that are gaining steam. Recruiting is gaining a little steam, though there is still work to do to get over the hump and close on a few more of those high targets. Recruiting also doesn't seem to have completely solved the problem of a high value target flipping at the last minute with no backup plan. Happened last year with Fitz, happened this year with Calvin. Both years we just came up short at WR. Should NU have had a viable backup plan with a 3* WR or 2? I am not saying that you just add bodies to fill out a class, but you also don't want to see NU self-impose recruiting sanctions. We had a class of 20 and should have taken 23. I understand that when you shoot for the stars you are going to miss on some guys and that is part of the risk of shooting high, but then we need to do just a little better on closing. And, FWIW, Bo did go after the highly rated guys, but rarely was Bo able to generate interest (ie he couldn't get his foot in the door with most of those guys). MR and company are getting their foot in the door and generating interest, they just got to get a few more guys to bite. While MR hasn't shown tangible evidence of improvement over Bo, yet, I do think that there is tangible evidence of improvement from year 1 to year 2 in most areas: coaching upgrades, recruiting improvement, defensive improvement, organizational improvement. MR needs to continue to improve year over year and not stagnate at this level.

Offensively, I think that this will be the first year where Riley has the type of personnel that he believes it will take to make his offensive philosophy work. But, it will likely take those guys about 2 years on the field for things to click. I think the offense is going to see significant changes this year because of the shift in personnel, and rarely does a "new offense" click in year 1. That puts us at year 4 before I think we really see what a Riley offense is supposed to be. I do think that the last 2 years have been a square peg/round hole for TA and DL. It is nobody's fault. The only thing is whether MR got his system QB early enough. They essentially passed on recruiting a QB in their first class because there just wasn't enough time. You wonder if they should have gone after a JUCO QB earlier. Not trying to bash TA, it just is what it is. Same thing with WRs. Now, the quality of WRs recruited in this class is outstanding. But, the returning talent and experience are few. This is due to Bo's last class and MR's first class largely being busts at WR, and last year's haul just plain missed with Fitz. This year, it was mentioned on here numerous times that NU needed at least 4, likely 5 WRs in this class - they got 3. That is essentially 3 or 4 classes in a row where the WR numbers are lacking, which is yielding a lack of depth now. Those kinds of issues could hurt the development of the offense now that Riley has a couple system QB's ready to take the field. We desperately need this entire new WR class to develop quickly and contribute immediately. FWIW, I am not sure I am that impressed with Reggie Davis' recruiting or coaching so far. Don't get me wrong, I like Tre Bryant, Ozigbo, and Wilbon. But, I just wonder if guys like Ozigbo and Jaylin Bradley are the caliber of players that we need to elevate the position? I kind of wish that MR had retained Ron Brown. Personally, IMHO, Davis is next in line for the hot seat. The fact that NU is moving to a more pass-oriented offense, I just wonder if this lack of focus on the running game is starting to rub off on recruiting/coaching the position. Also, I will say that NU's offense was hit especially hard with the injury bug this year... which I think had as much to do with the offensive regression as did other factors.

I agree with Adam on the defensive side of the ball. FWIW, we did have some very nice DEs around 2009-2010 with guys like Pierre Allen. Yes, it is encouraging that MR is willing to pull the trigger on staff changes if he sees an issue. But, I think what Adam is getting at is that plenty of Husker fans questioned how smart it was to bring Banker along from OSU. Husker fans could see it from day one. But, it took MR 2 years to figure that out. Hindsight is 20/20, but you hope that MR's foresight is a little better than his track record so far on coaching hires. I will say that MR is making upgrades to his staff. But, will we say in 2 years that Davis' replacement should have been foreseen now? Same goes for coach Cav. Cav says and does the right things. Recruiting the OL has been decent. But, are we recruiting at a high enough level across the board on the OL, and are we seeing the development and toughness necessary? I'm not sold yet. (Getting a little off track with offense here). But, I think Adam is saying that MR probably should have hired a guy like Diaco on day 1 instead of waiting for 2 years. As Adam said, going from the 4-3 to the 3-4 is a big defensive change. As we saw in 2015, new defense = learning curve and drop in performance. 2016, or year 2, saw improvement because players finally bought in and had more time to learn the defense on an instinctual level. Because of Diaco, we are now back at year 1 for the D. We could easily see a regression by the D this year as they transition again to learning a new D. That's not a knock on Diaco. It just means that it will likely be year 4 before we see dramatic improvement by the D now.

Finally, I agree that Riley has NU in a better place mentally/culturally than they were at the end of Bo's tenure. But, something that I wondered about on day 1 of the MR era was would MR players have that physical/toughness edge that they had under Bo? I think most of us agreed that Bo recruited players that would run through a brick wall for him. (There were other issues, though.) But, as we saw this year, MR's team improved but they seemed to lack the fire, energy, and toughness. See the Iowa game. Yet, the blowout loss raised its head again. So, there are still issues with the culture/mentality. Maybe Diaco and Donte will help with that. Adam is right that there is no tangible evidence yet of overall improvement. MR still hasn't exceeded the results by Bo. But, I think most of us can see that there is momentum in the building blocks to success that are gaining steam. Recruiting is gaining a little steam, though there is still work to do to get over the hump and close on a few more of those high targets. Recruiting also doesn't seem to have completely solved the problem of a high value target flipping at the last minute with no backup plan. Happened last year with Fitz, happened this year with Calvin. Both years we just came up short at WR. Should NU have had a viable backup plan with a 3* WR or 2? I am not saying that you just add bodies to fill out a class, but you also don't want to see NU self-impose recruiting sanctions. We had a class of 20 and should have taken 23. I understand that when you shoot for the stars you are going to miss on some guys and that is part of the risk of shooting high, but then we need to do just a little better on closing. And, FWIW, Bo did go after the highly rated guys, but rarely was Bo able to generate interest (ie he couldn't get his foot in the door with most of those guys). MR and company are getting their foot in the door and generating interest, they just got to get a few more guys to bite. While MR hasn't shown tangible evidence of improvement over Bo, yet, I do think that there is tangible evidence of improvement from year 1 to year 2 in most areas: coaching upgrades, recruiting improvement, defensive improvement, organizational improvement. MR needs to continue to improve year over year and not stagnate at this level.
You make very good points regarding the offense, mentality & recruiting as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back