• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Storied programs expected to struggle (homepage)

If NU can't navigate this schedule better than 7-5 or 8-4, how on earth are they gonna contend in 2018, with what will probably be one of the nations toughest schedules?
An addition of another recruiting class of talent, also including more talent from redshirted players, plus the addition of even greater experience among the large numbers of very youthful starters from this year. THAT Sir, is a massive amount of improvement on the way.

Last edited:
I think everybody has been a little to hard on the Beaver(s) and Riley. Just trying to lighten things up!
I think Riley can coach them up. Do we have the talent and more importantly the drive to get over the hump?

Just because we fail to win a championship doesn't mean the season can't be outrageously fun and fulfilling. I look at this year as one of the most exciting seasons this century...and I expect next year to be even better. Heck, we might even win a title faster than expected. It is a great time to be a Husker fan!

Obviously someone has hijacked GFOA's account. But its a welcome hacking.

They may well have the "talent" now, but it is young, untested against the best the conference can offer. Experience still matters in this game.
There is experience all over this team. Our top 3 rbs all have contributed, our 1st string WRs have all contributed, most of our OL has seen a lot of game experience, our QB has D1 starts under his belt, our DL all played last year, along with most of our returning back 7. We return our kicker and punter as well. Its not as if this team is starting from scratch.

There is experience all over this team. Our top 3 rbs all have contributed, our 1st string WRs have all contributed, most of our OL has seen a lot of game experience, our QB has D1 starts under his belt, our DL all played last year, along with most of our returning back 7. We return our kicker and punter as well. Its not as if this team is starting from scratch.
I will grant you the RBs, although generally only one will be in the game at a time. I will admit I am expecting much more from what should be a veteran OL, but lots of new players at the receiving positions, and lots of younger players expected to produce among the front seven on defense. Like it or not this is still a transition year on both sides of the ball. Probably going to be a much better team by November.

I will grant you the RBs, although generally only one will be in the game at a time. I will admit I am expecting much more from what should be a veteran OL, but lots of new players at the receiving positions, and lots of younger players expected to produce among the front seven on defense. Like it or not this is still a transition year on both sides of the ball. Probably going to be a much better team by November.
Overall not an unreasonable statement. Especially the last sentence.

An addition of another recruiting class of talent, also including more talent from redshirted players, plus the addition of even greater experience among the large numbers of very youthful starters from this year. THAT Sir, is a massive amount of improvement on the way.
Uh huh! Can't wait to see all those freshmen all over the roster, cuz they have to be better than the experienced upper class men!

Find me a team in college football that doesnt have holes to fill in the offseason.

At no point did I say that this team will be a finished product by September. At no point did I say that there wont be new contributors this year. What I have said and will continue to say until proven otherwise is that there is no team in the west that is better than NU.

Find me a team in college football that doesnt have holes to fill in the offseason.

At no point did I say that this team will be a finished product by September. At no point did I say that there wont be new contributors this year. What I have said and will continue to say until proven otherwise is that there is no team in the west that is better than NU.
Well, it's hard to argue your premise, although both Iowa and Wisconsin have scoreboard for the last couple years. Upon what do you base the assertion that nobody in the west is better?

Lavaman I am going to agree with you on this point, returning starters is probably the most over rated stat in FB IMO. Playing experience is much more important.

The only position that NU is really short on experience this year is TE, and I like what we say in the spring game.

Yeah, we have a new QB, but he has 19 starts at a D1 school.

Starting at WR is really meaningless, because they play about 6 of them and shuffle guys in and out all the time.

Having O-line starters back is probably the most important spot, and if they start Cole Conrad at center than everyone on the starting line will have at least 3 starts last year.

They return only 1 starter on the d-line but Stoltenberg and both Davis boys played a lot.

They return 2 starters at LB from last year, Newby and Young. Plus Weber started 3-4 games in 2015 and I know Gifford started a couple in 2015

The secondary is full of starters and guys with experience coming back.

I know it is comparing apples and oranges, but in 1983 the year of the scoring explosion NU return 4 starters on offense, Gill, Rozier, Fryer, and Steinkuhler. They did ok that year.

Well, it's hard to argue your premise, although both Iowa and Wisconsin have scoreboard for the last couple years. Upon what do you base the assertion that nobody in the west is better?
Wisconsin has beaten us the last two years by the skin of their teeth. They have holes to fill too and I believe their overall talent level is at best equal to NU. Iowa did give us a sound beating last year, but as many have pointed out, NU will have a QB that fits Riley and Langsdorf's style and a DC who has been pretty darn successful at the highest levels of cfb. I think NU has the best overall group of rbs in the west, and the most dynamic returning WRs. NU's secondary is probably tops in the division. The front 7 is a bigger question mark but has guys all over it that have played a lot of football at Nebraska. Obviously, Im not going to sit here and proclaim that NU will win the division in May, but I will say that on paper there is no one better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back