• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stoops/Pelini Possibility?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
It’s odd that your description of “damn good” matches my description of “asshat”. He could have quit instead of walking into living rooms and putting up a false front to kids and their parents, if in fact he wasn’t going to put his best effort forward.
I don’t think you are one to be giving me advice about coaches. Coulda shoulda woulda, he was damn good until the administration got in the way. Feel free to believe what you want, but I think Bo went thru the motions after that. Can’t quit a job that’s gonna pay you 3.2m per, guaranteed.

Here is my problem with your statement. If memory serves he signed 2 contract extensions after 2010. Why would you do that? In 2010/11 he was a hot coach. He could have used that to probably make more money at an SEC or other big school. Why stay if you are that unhappy. Why keep signing extensions. If he leaves then the whole staff above him comes under heavy scrutiny.
Ummm, because you don’t have another job to leave for. That’s why you do it.

I believe that if they fire UM, then Stoops is a legitimate player. And, I believe he might consider Bo as a Defensive Coordinator. All the Bo Haters don't get the fact that Bo was and is a great Defensive mind.
I think the dude is still running:Rolf:

I think IF UM gets let go / resigns, Stoops would be a great option for tOSU, and I think he’d be tempted. All those great athletes lined up, plus a preseason #3 ranking. I doubt they’d bring on BP though. tOSU would go as safe as possible - they have a LOT of Public Relations rebuilding to do. Even if Stoops feels that BP is a great defensive coach, BP’s temper is too risky for them at this stage.

However, as someone pointed out earlier, this is all just speculation - tOSU might just take its PR lumps and keep UM.

I don’t think you are one to be giving me advice about coaches. Coulda shoulda woulda, he was damn good until the administration got in the way. Feel free to believe what you want, but I think Bo went thru the motions after that. Can’t quit a job that’s gonna pay you 3.2m per, guaranteed.
Sure you can. Only losers keep it and go through the motions while telling 18-22 year old subordinates to give max effort.

You can take whatever shots you want. If what you say about Bo is true I respect MR a hell of a lot more for his best effort not being good enough than I do someone who won’t give his best effort and is just collecting a paycheck.

Bo has the trifecta of being in charge of wife beaters, drug users, and adulterers with students. After this, any coach will get overridden if they were dumb enough to try and bring him in.

The Kaz arrest happened after they were fired. Carl is hardly the first assistant coach to sleep with a coed and he was basically fired for it. And drug users? Really?

I know that but if things were that bad why not leave while you are still a hot commodity. Remember he is talking about 2010. That year Bo could have pretty much printed his own money on a contract at another struggling former power house. His tirades had not started yet and he had by all appearances turned us around at that point.

Maybe he wanted more time to build on that success and really cash in. Who knows. The only real offer he had was Miami and that’s a terrible gig.

Is the defense of Bo in this thread really that he failed because he quit trying because he wanted to keep making a lot of money?

What a leader of men! Fortunately, I'll assume that's not true, because such a horrible defense is unfair to Bo.

I'd stick to the Eichorst screwed stuff up defense--that has some legitimacy to it.

There's a lot of speculation and revisionist history going on here.
True.

Bo was a good coach but not good enough to restore us to glory. He didn't leave, because he had no offers. He had no offers because of his presser and sideline antics that were driven by his incomparable bad temper. No place wants a guy they believe might be swinging on someone...anyone...a referee, an opposing player, his own player, an assistant coach during a game. They don't want a guy who might punch or cuss the opposing head coach in lieu of a handshake, or a guy willing to cuss his own fans, or a guy willing to play convicted rapists against the will of the school President. He's done in serious football circles until he goes squeaky clean for a decade or so.

Last edited:
True.

Bo was a good coach but not good enough to restore us to glory. He didn't leave, because he had no offers. He had no offers because of his presser and sideline antics that were driven by his incomparable bad temper. No place wants a guy they believe might be swinging on someone...anyone...a referee, an opposing player, his own player, an assistant coach during a game. They don't want a guy who might punch or cuss the opposing head coach in lieu of a handshake, or a guy willing to cuss his own fans, or a guy willing to play convicted rapists against the will of the school President. He's done in serious football circles until he goes squeaky clean for a decade or so.
There's still a lot of speculation and revisionist history going on here.

FB_IMG_1533510921737.jpg

I believe that if they fire UM, then Stoops is a legitimate player. And, I believe he might consider Bo as a Defensive Coordinator. All the Bo Haters don't get the fact that Bo was and is a great Defensive mind.

His defenses were quite good while in the Big 12. But somewhere between pedestrian and pathetic once joining the Big Ten. Especially against the run.

NU run defense, national rank:

2011: 64
2012: 90
2013: 54
2014: 78

Scoring defense wasn't much better:

2011: 42
2012: 58
2013: 50
2014: 61

Yes, I understand Bo wasn't defensive coordinator in the 2011-14 period. I also understand that as a supposed defensive mastermind, he had a strong hand on those defenses.

I believe Bo would probably do quite well as a defensive coordinator in a pass-happy conference -- like the Big 12 or Pac-12. But in a conference predicated more on physical offenses and the tendency to run, I have much less faith in Bo. I still think he's better suited for the NFL.

True.

exactly correct. Image is a much bigger deal now days.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back