• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stoops/Pelini Possibility?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

I'm not excusing it but that's what I believe. I think he hated HP that much. Couldn't just quit. Too much money on the table. I still believe he is a damn good coach. He just worked for a couple of worthless individuals.
A damn good coach doesn’t allow the kids in his charge to take 60 point beat downs because he has a vendetta and wants to keep his salary. A petty little man does that.

A damn good coach doesn’t allow the kids in his charge to take 60 point beat downs because he has a vendetta and wants to keep his salary. A petty little man does that.
I firmly believe he is a damn good coach. He absolutely despised the tools he worked for. He could not just quit. At least in his mind. I just think as time went on he just really didn’t care. Literally went through the motions. He didn’t suddenly get stupid.

Ohio State would gain my respect of they fired Meyer and went with Stoops. I hate Ohio State and Urban Meyer. Urabn has been a win-at-all-costs coach and his departure and reputation at Florida is sordid at best. Ohio State is a fine University and deserves a high character coach.

I firmly believe he is a damn good coach. He absolutely despised the tools he worked for. He could not just quit. At least in his mind. I just think as time went on he just really didn’t care. Literally went through the motions. He didn’t suddenly get stupid.
It’s odd that your description of “damn good” matches my description of “asshat”. He could have quit instead of walking into living rooms and putting up a false front to kids and their parents, if in fact he wasn’t going to put his best effort forward.

Ohio State would gain my respect of they fired Meyer and went with Stoops. I hate Ohio State and Urban Meyer. Urabn has been a win-at-all-costs coach and his departure and reputation at Florida is sordid at best. Ohio State is a fine University and deserves a high character coach.
I’m not sure Bob is as clean as people here think. Mixon is not the only incident of violence that he “handled improperly”.

I'm not excusing it but that's what I believe. I think he hated HP that much. Couldn't just quit. Too much money on the table. I still believe he is a damn good coach. He just worked for a couple of worthless individuals.
Here is my problem with your statement. If memory serves he signed 2 contract extensions after 2010. Why would you do that? In 2010/11 he was a hot coach. He could have used that to probably make more money at an SEC or other big school. Why stay if you are that unhappy. Why keep signing extensions. If he leaves then the whole staff above him comes under heavy scrutiny.

he had really good defenses with Glenn Dorsey at Lsu and Suh at Nebraska. i think about any coach would have a great defense with either of those guys. they were probably his best defensive years.

I honestly don’t think Bo will ever get a power 5 job again. No one has shown any interest in hiring him these last three years. If he’s as good as some here think he is he would be getting some interest. Even Purdue and Minnesota wouldn’t look at him. Bo is done in big time college football.

Bo signed extensions for money. Duh. That worked out well for him.
I know that but if things were that bad why not leave while you are still a hot commodity. Remember he is talking about 2010. That year Bo could have pretty much printed his own money on a contract at another struggling former power house. His tirades had not started yet and he had by all appearances turned us around at that point.

Idk about tOSU post-UM, but I have a theory about BP.

He viewed the NU job as a stepping stone. I think he had a three-year plan. My evidence: 1) he had NO staff turnover for his first three years. I think he made a deal with his assistants to commit to him for three years to build NU to the point he could parlay the NU job into something bigger. 2) Bo’s own words on the post-tOSU comeback win. “...and when I’m gone...”

I think he thought he would get that tOSU job after beating Fickell that night.

But no (better) offer ever came. Ever. He had no long-term plan, so things came off the rails after 2010.

I think losing Carl also hurt him, as I think Carl had a brotherly way of keeping his brother in check. The appointment of a puppy like Papuchis to DC was a case of BP surrounding himself with yes men.

Idk about tOSU post-UM, but I have a theory about BP.

He viewed the NU job as a stepping stone. I think he had a three-year plan. My evidence: 1) he had NO staff turnover for his first three years. I think he made a deal with his assistants to commit to him for three years to build NU to the point he could parlay the NU job into something bigger. 2) Bo’s own words on the post-tOSU comeback win. “...and when I’m gone...”

I think he thought he would get that tOSU job after beating Fickell that night.

But no (better) offer ever came. Ever. He had no long-term plan, so things came off the rails after 2010.

I think losing Carl also hurt him, as I think Carl had a brotherly way of keeping his brother in check. The appointment of a puppy like Papuchis to DC was a case of BP surrounding himself with yes men.
I think every bit of this is either viable or highly likely.

I have said the part about Carl/Papuchis many times. Carl was not afraid to stand up to him. Papuchis would not stand up to a chihuahua. He was a yes man. Most coaches want 1-2 people on staff to tell them when they are full of well you know.

I think Bo's ultimate downfall along with many other coaches is when they try to be the only voice in the room. When people are afraid to tell you something is when you sink or swim on your own.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back