• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

State of the Transition - attempt 2

Based upon what we know about this team today. How do you think the first 3 games play out?
1. Akron
2. Colorado
3. Troy

I can see 1, 2 or 3 wins. It's hard to get a feel for how good this team will be with the new coaches and schemes. Trying hard not to drink the Koolaid.

Not knowing how NU will respond/play early is a concern, but it's hard to give a guess when we have no idea how good or bad CU will be. If CU's defense is as bad as it was last year, Troy may be the toughest game in the non con schedule.

Not knowing how NU will respond/play early is a concern, but it's hard to give a guess when we have no idea how good or bad CU will be. If CU's defense is as bad as it was last year, Troy may be the toughest game in the non con schedule.
Agree and if we aren’t 3-0 after then I will be surprised. Then, it gets real.

Agree and if we aren’t 3-0 after then I will be surprised. Then, it gets real.

I expect a letdown in one of these three games. Players not 100% sure what to do when, returning kids falling back into bad habits when things go sideways, etc. Don't know if that means a loss, but I'm guessing the letdown won't come against Akron. Should be an absolutely fired up bunch on that day.

I am hoping for some serious discussion about the transition to date.

=======================================================
Overall Grade for the transition to date: A+

This staff has immediately addressed the two primary issues that have plagued Husker football for most of this century and have progressively gotten worse: 1) Strength & Conditioning, and 2) Buy-In & Accountabilty.

For S%C there is anecdotal evidence that makes me believe we will be a much stronger and tougher team than we have been for many years. I would love to see them get back to publishing team results of S&C testing, even if they cannot publish individuals' numbers. The S&C improvement alone, would merit getting a high grade on the transition.

The staff has also tackled the "buy-in" and accountability issues that were so neglected by the previous staff. Those that don't want to put in the work, or aren't talented enough to compete are encouraged to leave. Competition for starting spots, at least on the surface, seems to be far more open than in the recent past.

Besides addressing the two primary issues of the program, the staff seems to have done an outstanding job of collecting the talent they need for their new schemes. They seem intent on revitalizing the walk-on program, getting the best in the 500 mile radius, and yet still getting needed speed/talent from fertile national recruiting spots (Florida, Texas, Cally, etc).

They have also energized the fan base to a level not seen often the past 16 years. This will be a tremendous asset this year and down the road as we greet success with a passion.

All in all, no one could ask for a more successful first six months. GBR!
Great post and topic. As much as it would be great to see Frost replicate EVERYTHING from the TO era, this IS a different era. Would love to see S&C results posted. But in the TO era, part of the rationale beyond fostering competition and creating public accountability was psyching out the competition so as not to beat them before the game started, but before the season started. Unfortunately no one is psyched out before stepping on the field with the Cornhuskers, even schools like Northern Illinois.

Frost has done EVERYTHING right to date. A+ is a fair grade. I love Frost and everything he has done to date. In the back of my mind, still somewhat concerned his offense as is could struggle on a November 25th slug fest with wind chills in low double digits but time will tell.

Riley left such a dumpster fire and with this fall’s schedule anything north of .500 with mostly competitive losses is over-achieving. If this team goes 8-4 buckle up boys and girls because the Frost era will be on the way to everything we had hoped for.

Last edited:
The stars have aligned pretty good for this transition. The transition was very smooth. Unlike previous regime changes, we didn't have a fanbase split on the firing of a Husker legend (Solich), we didn't have a split fanbase on who to hire (Gill vs Pellllini), we didn't have a split fanbase again on whether to fire the coach (Pellllini) and Frost's predecessor left with class instead of trying to poison the players attitudes. Last season's play made it easy for everyone to get on board with the firing. Frost's work last year made it easier to get on his bandwagon. I was never a Frost to Nebraska fan when people were calling for his hire just because he played for Tom. I watched a lot of UCF games last year and I saw results that justified hiring him. Others did too and that made it easy to get the fanbase going in the same direction. This one is an easy open book exam A+

S & C...we here the same thing every regime change and every time we hire a new S & C coach... You can't grade this one until we get into conference play and see if we run out of steam and get pushed around and how big the injury list is... too soon to grade

As for recruiting, this time last year we were competing with the big guys, bringing in big name recruits and everyone was in love with Bookie. This year we seem more focused on a system and getting system guys in here. Callahan, Pellllini and Riley all inherited QBs with experience although not in the systems they wanted to run they all played the guy they inherited, while waiting to get the QB that would fit their system. Frost was in the same situation and made it clear that he was going to put his system in now...that winning now is important. That led the two QBs with playing time to move on knowing they wouldn't see the field. He is going to run his system from day one. This year is not a throw away year of waiting to stock his cupboards thru recruiting. Frost is also going the JC route looking for immediate results. I was more impressed with the way things were going last year, granted that imploded as the losses mounted...I hope the results of this season do just the opposite, where winning draws in the better recruits.

The players buy-in. This is another warm and fuzzy recurring theme of every off season. Gotta wait until they get punched in the mouth to see if it's true

Since the thread is about transition and not results on the field, you have to go A+

The stars have aligned pretty good for this transition. The transition was very smooth. Unlike previous regime changes, we didn't have a fanbase split on the firing of a Husker legend (Solich), we didn't have a split fanbase on who to hire (Gill vs Pellllini), we didn't have a split fanbase again on whether to fire the coach (Pellllini) and Frost's predecessor left with class instead of trying to poison the players attitudes. Last season's play made it easy for everyone to get on board with the firing. Frost's work last year made it easier to get on his bandwagon. I was never a Frost to Nebraska fan when people were calling for his hire just because he played for Tom. I watched a lot of UCF games last year and I saw results that justified hiring him. Others did too and that made it easy to get the fanbase going in the same direction. This one is an easy open book exam A+

S & C...we here the same thing every regime change and every time we hire a new S & C coach... You can't grade this one until we get into conference play and see if we run out of steam and get pushed around and how big the injury list is... too soon to grade

As for recruiting, this time last year we were competing with the big guys, bringing in big name recruits and everyone was in love with Bookie. This year we seem more focused on a system and getting system guys in here. Callahan, Pellllini and Riley all inherited QBs with experience although not in the systems they wanted to run they all played the guy they inherited, while waiting to get the QB that would fit their system. Frost was in the same situation and made it clear that he was going to put his system in now...that winning now is important. That led the two QBs with playing time to move on knowing they wouldn't see the field. He is going to run his system from day one. This year is not a throw away year of waiting to stock his cupboards thru recruiting. Frost is also going the JC route looking for immediate results. I was more impressed with the way things were going last year, granted that imploded as the losses mounted...I hope the results of this season do just the opposite, where winning draws in the better recruits.

The players buy-in. This is another warm and fuzzy recurring theme of every off season. Gotta wait until they get punched in the mouth to see if it's true

Since the thread is about transition and not results on the field, you have to go A+

Must have been a bear to type that all out twice. But you make good points so I guess it was worth it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nice post. Too badyou couldn't keep your little jabs out of it with regard to Pelini (4 L's). Why not 7 L's for Callahan? Or 8 L's for Riley?

Must have been a bear to type that all out twice. But you make good points so I guess it was worth it. :thumbsup:
The original posted four times. Most of my posts show up as double posts when I enter them...one would think the Huskermax software would prevent that.

The original posted four times. Most of my posts show up as double posts when I enter them...one would think the Huskermax software would prevent that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back