• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Starting Defense on 8/31/19

What does he need to do better than he did as a very good performer for OSU? Are you saying it is a scheme change, or is OSU's DL just that inferior to NU's?

could be the differences in the leagues? Not a lot of teams hammering a DT in the box in the B12 these days

I can but i'm sure you'll leave just as mad as I was because you'll have more questions than answers.

Let's just say I was as excited as you were about his addition. Thought we found our NG or at the very least a starting DE. When I was asking how things were going, two different people that would know stated "he will give us depth" when I asked them about him specifically. Then just this week I heard on the radio someone who has the same connections reiterate the same thing. Told his co-host to pump the brakes after some of what he's been told.

It's basically all weight room right now, so i'm hoping once we get the pads on they are singing a different tune. But he's not overtaking either Davis twin, Stille, or Deontre Thomas right now.
***, I appreciate the response and yes...I definitely have more questions now. Lol. It's crazy to me that determinations have already been made about Daniels and he is only being viewed as a depth player, especially considering his reputation at OSU. And I'm not buying that his success is based on playing in a pass happy Big 12. He was still competing against some of the better offensive linemen in the country. Something seems amiss here, unless he's not buying in, not working as hard as he should, etc., but that runs counter to his reputation as a hard worker. Baffling.

You were right ***!!! I'm pissed now. :Rolf:

Last edited:
Great thread, let's get some football talk going. I pretty much agree completely with your first string, unsure if Honas will be ready to go thru spring ball so maybe Miller gets the nod there. You also have a true freshman that could enter into the mix. Go ahead and put Domann in front of Dixon. Bootle will start, only returning all-conference defender. Safety is where I have no clue... Jones, Smith, Pola-Gates, Dismuke? Lots of options. Competition will create some good football players.

1st string
DE - KDavis
NG - CDavis
DE - Stille

OLB - Ferguson
ILB - Miller
ILB - Barry
OLB - Domann

CB - Bootle
S - DWilliams
S - Dismuke
CB - Jackson

2nd String
DE - Daniels
NG - Daniels
DE - DThomas
*Neal, Wildeman, Rogers all in the mix. I think they would love to redshirt Robinson but he could factor in if S&C goes well over the summer

OLB - Dixon
ILB - Honas
ILB - Johnson
OLB - Tannor
*Hannah and Henrich will battle it out for some second string stop gaps (could they use the 4 game redshirt rule to get 8 games between the two of them?). How will Alex Davis factor in? Thin at OLB especially if Dixon doesn't figure it out.

CB - Taylor
S - Pola-Gates
S - Jones/Smith/Newsome
CB - Clark
*DB is the hardest for me to figure out. No idea who is going to play where, some of our guys recruited at safety may start at CB
Only thing I'd wonder is if NPG would get the nod over Dismuke but the rest is pretty much what I would think too.

***, I appreciate the response and yes...I definitely have more questions now. Lol. It's crazy to me that determinations have already been made about Daniels and he is only being viewed as a depth player, especially considering his reputation at OSU. And I'm not buying that his success is based on playing in a pass happy Big 12. He was still competing against some of the better offensive linemen in the country. Something seems amiss here, unless he's not buying in, not working as hard as he should, etc., but that runs counter to his reputation as a hard worker. Baffling.

You were right ***!!! I'm pissed now. :Rolf:
It just left me with more questions than answers after being super excited. I didn’t dig in too much. I’ll see what he looks like in the spring. My hunch is that they don’t think he’s a natural NG, and he’s not outworking the Davis twins or Stille in the weight room, so they aren’t sure about him starting yet. We will see what happens when the pads get on.

But when I heard it on the radio about pumping the brakes in regard to him, it frustrated me.

Last edited:
Is this legit or just wishful thinking about small town Nebraska talent that gets overhyped on this board?
I am the first guy to get so mad when I hear “are we missing on the next Danny Woodhead” or “Mazour will take over for Ozigbo” for the exact same reason you mentioned.

He was going to play last year, I just am unable to figure out if it’s due to how good he is, or lack of depth. They started getting close to playing him when Honas got injured and Roberts left. Throw in Weinmaster being about 50% all year and they were hurting.

At worst he gives us an option somewhere. He was listed as OLB last year but the couple practices I saw he was at ILB. Wonder if they shifted him to OLB or not. ILB is dicey this spring with Honas out and not much depth.

Only thing I'd wonder is if NPG would get the nod over Dismuke but the rest is pretty much what I would think too.
Let the guy get to campus. Who knows how good he will really be for Lords sake. I remember when everyone had Tyjon Lindsay as the next all big ten guy and was penciled in to start. I remember a certain expert on here had Avery Roberts penciled in as a starter as a true frosh. Once the got here, neither even looked like Big 10 material let alone starter day 1.
Heck same things goes for Johnny Stanton. Pencil him in as the next Scott Frost they said, starter right away LOL
Husker fans just never will get that hype is only hype until they get to campus and really see what we have

Last edited:
Let the guy get to campus. Who knows how good he will really be for Lords sake. I remember when everyone had Tyjon Lindsay as the next all big ten guy and was penciled in to start. I remember a certain expert on here had Avery Roberts penciled in as a starter as a true frosh. Once the got here, neither even looked like Big 10 material let alone starter day 1.
Heck same things goes for Johnny Stanton. Pencil him in as the next Scott Frost they said, starter right away LOL
Husker fans just never will get that hype is only hype until they get to campus and really see what we have
Relax, it was just an offhand comment. I'm sure Scott has things well in hand without us.

Great thread, let's get some football talk going. I pretty much agree completely with your first string, unsure if Honas will be ready to go thru spring ball so maybe Miller gets the nod there. You also have a true freshman that could enter into the mix. Go ahead and put Domann in front of Dixon. Bootle will start, only returning all-conference defender. Safety is where I have no clue... Jones, Smith, Pola-Gates, Dismuke? Lots of options. Competition will create some good football players.

1st string
DE - KDavis
NG - CDavis
DE - Stille

OLB - Ferguson
ILB - Miller
ILB - Barry
OLB - Domann

CB - Bootle
S - DWilliams
S - Dismuke
CB - Jackson

2nd String
DE - Daniels
NG - Daniels
DE - DThomas
*Neal, Wildeman, Rogers all in the mix. I think they would love to redshirt Robinson but he could factor in if S&C goes well over the summer

OLB - Dixon
ILB - Honas
ILB - Johnson
OLB - Tannor
*Hannah and Henrich will battle it out for some second string stop gaps (could they use the 4 game redshirt rule to get 8 games between the two of them?). How will Alex Davis factor in? Thin at OLB especially if Dixon doesn't figure it out.

CB - Taylor
S - Pola-Gates
S - Jones/Smith/Newsome
CB - Clark
*DB is the hardest for me to figure out. No idea who is going to play where, some of our guys recruited at safety may start at CB

I was surprised that you put Miller over Honas at ILB, i can't argue with Miller's athleticism, will be interested to see how he settles into the position in year 2, I bet you they were not ready to play him as much there last year as they did, but injuries suck. i honestly forgot about Dismuke at safety - the last of the Calabasas crew

I was surprised that you put Miller over Honas at ILB, i can't argue with Miller's athleticism, will be interested to see how he settles into the position in year 2, I bet you they were not ready to play him as much there last year as they did, but injuries suck. i honestly forgot about Dismuke at safety - the last of the Calabasas crew
Miller is more the fact that he will be with the 1s in the spring (assuming Honas doesn't make it back) so they will start him there in the fall. Honas has all the ability to be alongside Barry starting if he comes back from his blown knee. Sometimes it takes a year to fully get there.

Isn't speculating what you do on a message board in the dead of winter? He didn't pencil him in as all-B1G, he literally just said, "I wonder if..."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back