• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

*** quick reaction to Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly agree with going on the cheap for a coach. We should pay whatever we have to and get the best coach possible. Otherwise just go home.

Nebraska football is in BIG trouble. Why do I say that? I was back in Nebraska two weekends ago in the Sandhills hanging with the family. We went to watch high school volleyball and football. Literally no one cared what was going on with the Huskers game. My dad and brother-in-law said they don't even watch the games anymore. Heck I haven't watched the last two weeks.

We need to either hire Frost or a big name dude or apathy will end the sell out streak.

I certainly agree with going on the cheap for a coach. We should pay whatever we have to and get the best coach possible. Otherwise just go home.

Nebraska football is in BIG trouble. Why do I say that? I was back in Nebraska two weekends ago in the Sandhills hanging with the family. We went to watch high school volleyball and football. Literally no one cared what was going on with the Huskers game. My dad and brother-in-law said they don't even watch the games anymore. Heck I haven't watched the last two weeks.

We need to either hire Frost or a big name dude or apathy will end the sell out streak.

I honestly don't think that's consistent amongst the fan base. People still care a great deal around the country. That's unfortunate that it's gotten that way for some people but I'm not convinced total fan base apathy is happening yet. A few more years though and who knows

Disagree. Hire a coach to win. Then you don't have to worry about sell outs. If we hire Frost to sell tickets without talking to other guys who could be better, we have the wrong AD.

Completely agree with all you have said. Which makes the case why Riley has to go. For those who keep saying we can’t do that because we have fired too many coaches I argue do we keep Riley and keep losing because our AD screwed up. Gary Anderson leaving in less than three years shows what MR left behind. I agree with you on why Cavanaugh subs only when someone is injured is beyond reason. I too think Saturday night has the makings of a disaster written all over. To win six IMO we have to win over Northwestern, Minnessota and hope we can pull one out over one of the other three. Considering we do have a have a full time AD, have a head coach who needs fired and a team coming apart at the seams we do have one helleva dumpster fire.

You were doing OK til the bold. That's ridiculous.

Shortside, thanks for the quick review. I actually feel better about the game reading your review because I assume (well ok, I hope) the coaches must see the same things and will do some things to deal with the problems. A couple of comments and questions. Offense: your comments bring up some questions: tight end? I just don't see the current guys getting it done (despite one or two td receptions), drops, weak blocking, and no presence in the game. What about bringing Miles (I know he is a fullback or H back, but he was touted for his catching ability) out of his redshirt and have him play the position? What can be done about Cav and the OL? will he learn to rotate? apparently not, so it falls on Riley to tell him to do it, right? If Cav won't rotate Boe Wilson into the game, then start him. I am concerned that langsdorf is so stubborn about the flair pass that has resulted in two pick sixes on the first drive of two games is such a great play and our passing or receiving has been the problem that he will keep doing it until it works. What was the point, in the fifth game of giving POB a series? Why now?

Defense: what is the matter with Jackson--no tackles in the UW game? out of position, placed out of position in the scheme? what? Should we blitz more against OSU? sorta of a well the defense didn't work when Wisconsin just ran the ball, so maybe we should try something different?

Thanks again

Jackson is a great athlete..not much of a football player. If he was at a place like OSU or Bama he wouldn't see the field and people wouldn't spend one second worrying about "development"....he'd just be another in a long list of 4 star guys that don't pan out at those places. When you have 3 just like him at the same position you don't really notice the busts.

Thanks for the analysis.
As Head coach, it seems uncanny that Coach Riley does not see:
1. The O-line issues that you raise and Coach Cav's failure to see who plays better on Saturday. Why does Riley as CEO of the Huskers not overrule Cav and play the more successful player(s)?
2. Langsdorfs play calling on 3rd and 2 is the stuff of legends now on this board. ("Pick 6 Hall of Shame"). Again as CEO why would not Riley step in as he has in the past and call his own plays to make a difference in the outcome of this season?
3. One tight end should be replaced by Conrad to improve our running game, throw back to some of the Osborne tight ends who were TEINO. Number change required :).
4. ***, if you were Diaco, do you bring the corners up now that Jones is back for the second week? Quit the bend but don't break and sell out to stop the run, leaving the corners on an island? I would because Wisky has shown that to remain as before will get us run over in the 4th quarter.

Disagree. Hire a coach to win. Then you don't have to worry about sell outs. If we hire Frost to sell tickets without talking to other guys who could be better, we have the wrong AD.
We haven't even hired an AD so it's just a little difficult to have the wrong one. Let Green and Bounds make their choice. It's huge and if they get their guy - then all the processes will be met. No use hyperventilating that there could be better coaches than Frost. Of course there are. But, it's about availability and fit. And what is best for the program long-term.

Nice write up.

One thing that was noticeable probably 3 times was DPE was extremely close to breaking a punt return. He had lanes and slow coverage by Wisconsin and just couldn't get that last step.

also what was up with Brown he didn't look right, the missed field goal and a couple of the kickoffs with the south wind he barely reached the endzone.

Great post ***. With you on the “Bo had to go but not if the option was MR.”

Question. In my mind, I think the reason Cav whiffs so much on personnel selection is due to a lack of physicality in practice. Same goes with Ozigbo being on the milk carton. If the guy’s strength is his strength, i.e. breaking tackles, it stands to reason you’d go with the guys who look flashier. But when the pedal hits the medal, Ozigbo is a beast and it appears obvious that while he may not have been your first string guy, he should’ve had some snaps. Especially when mismanagement lead to losing your top RB.

.........So my question. I’ve seen other former players comment about practice, as well as the BIG guys. Are Riley’s practices truly pretty light physical wise and intensity wise?

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that's consistent amongst the fan base. People still care a great deal around the country. That's unfortunate that it's gotten that way for some people but I'm not convinced total fan base apathy is happening yet. A few more years though and who knows

I agree. I'm a fan since 1970 and my level of intensity about the fortune of the Huskers has definitely waned over the past 15 years or so. But I still go or watch...every game.

My son is 13. He has never experienced anything close to the consistent success the program experienced throughout the 70s, 80s, and 90s, yet he won't miss a game or even a single play The fervor, loyalty and dedication is still there.

But it does become more tenuous with each passing year without gratification. But college football fandom is a hard thing to kill !

Great post ***. With you on the “Bo had to go but not if the option was MR.”

Question. In my mind, I think the reason Cav whiffs so much on personnel selection is due to a lack of physicality in practice. Same goes with Ozigbo being on the milk carton. If the guy’s strength is his strength, i.e. breaking tackles, it stands to reason you’d go with the guys who look flashier. But when the pedal hits the medal, Ozigbo is a beast and it appears obvious that while he may not have been your first string guy, he should’ve had some snaps. Especially when mismanagement lead to losing your top RB.

.........So my question. I’ve seen other former players comment about practice, as well as the BIG guys. Are Riley’s practices truly pretty light physical wise and intensity wise?

Go back and watch some of those Riley OSU teams specifically 2006 and 2008 he played the most physical USC teams you would ever want to see and went toe to toe with them. They shoved the ball down USC's throat and this was the best USC defense I think of the Carroll era.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back