• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Practice (3/6/19)

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
No Media Access

Expect a lot of AD official photos again

Few stories on the Spring

Cam Taylor is HUNGRY! I hope he stays healthy - gotta love the mentality he brings.

“I just come with that fire,” Taylor said. “Adding everything to the DB room that needs to be. I know we’ve got older guys in the room that’s leading the way. I’m just adding a little more kick to it. That’s it. Keeping everybody intact. They always can’t be perfect, so when they’re not perfect I stay on top of them. When I’m not perfect, they stay on top of me.”

Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Held did not leave me feeling all that good about the running back situation after yesterday's meet-and-greet.

Leaving Mo Washington out of the equation, Held was not exactly effusive in his praise for what is in the current running back room. The guy he singled out the most was Wandale, and he's not a full-time running back. It seem like they are trying to make do until Johnson, Mills and Thompkins show up, which is troubling since the last I heard was that Mills is not academically eligible yet and Thompkins is recovering from a second knee injury.

I am leaving open the possibility that I am over reacting. Or maybe too much coffee.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Held did not leave me feeling all that good about the running back situation after yesterday's meet-and-greet.

Leaving Mo Washington out of the equation, Held was not exactly effusive in his praise for what is in the current running back room. The guy he singled out the most was Wandale, and he's not a full-time running back. It seem like they are trying to make do until Johnson, Mills and Thompkins show up, which is troubling since the last I heard was that Mills is not academically eligible yet and Thompkins is recovering from a second knee injury.

I am leaving open the possibility that I am over reacting. Or maybe too much coffee.

I think Held (and you) are being realistic with who is on campus and available right now. It is much thinner than we'd prefer. But we have some guys showing up in May who are difference-makers, Mills, Thompkins, Johnson - who are really special athletes.

Barrett Ruud said in the past he thought the early enrollees were not that big a deal really, but now he can see what a jumpstart it gives those guys - just acclimating so much earlier to everything puts them quite a ways ahead of the kids that enroll in May. I think the point is valid.

Also, any idea what the barriers are that Jaylin Bradley put up for himself last year? Sounds like he lost focus for a bit - now seems to be back, but he may have hurt his status some. Held was pretty pointed about this being "make or break" for Jaylin - almost sounds like it ultimatum time. Wonder what's behind that.

Last edited:
If there is one position that I do not sweat with virtually any Husker team, it's RB. And this offensive scheme makes me worry even less. Don't need Ameer, Ahman, or Lawrence to be successful. If the option was our bread and butter maybe. But not with what we are trying to do. A serviceable guy with good hands will be fine. Good speed and wiggle will just make it even better. The synergy of play calling, good QB play and speed at multiple positions will prep the battle space for any of our RBs to excel.

Keep in mind Mills who has experience at. P-5 school (700+ yards rushing as a true Frosh) will be here in May/June. Should be a plug and play guy. Also R. Johnson too

If there is one position that I do not sweat with virtually any Husker team, it's RB. And this offensive scheme makes me worry even less. Don't need Ameer, Ahman, or Lawrence to be successful. If the option was our bread and butter maybe. But not with what we are trying to do. A serviceable guy with good hands will be fine. Good speed and wiggle will just make it even better. The synergy of play calling, good QB play and speed at multiple positions will prep the battle space for any of our RBs to excel.

Agree well said.

I believe Held is looking forward to the challenge. He made Ozigbo one of the Big Ten’s best backs last season he’s going to find the replacement I like his confidence.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back