• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spiked eggnog and early signing day talk with ***

Much has been posted about HCSF’s offense & much that follows is heavy on assumptions —

Yes, I am sober too ;) GBR!
This is so true. I think people who look at SF's use of running backs based on history aren't exactly sure. I think SF will probably offer a lot of flexibility depending on who we have and quite frankly who we are playing on a weekly basis. For every fan who likes the idea of platooning in to get fresh legs there are just as many fans who recognize giving a single back most of the carries often brings out some of those guys who continually get stronger as the game moves on. The bottom line is we don't know what SF will do and maybe the opponent won't either.

Saquon Barkley was ranked lower than Robinson is when he was recruited. Pennsylvania in general just has a lot more talent to choose from, which is why PSU regularly gets top recruiting classes. We lack that option geographically.

SB is a BIG RB with speed, power and moves and WR is a smaller version. Hypothetically, which would you rather have?

Dude - thanks for the write up! Question, if we go to 30, does that limit next year at all? My recollection is we can take 25 per year. This year we are using 5 from 2018 + maybe 25 for 2019. So if we do take 30 total, are we then capped at 25 for 2020? Mike Schaefer says 2020 should be a monster year as it will be a monster year in the 500 mile radius.
I don't think we will be able to take the same amount in 2020, at least not 30 like we could this class. We will be able to count as many guys back to the 2019 class as we would need. But to your point, could be one of our best chances to get a top10 recruiting class with 4 guys that could potentially be top250 players nationally that we are in the lead for or in-state.

Help me out on this. Does the SF system showcase an every down back, or is it resplendent with variety and different personnel drive to drive. In other words would even a back as good as Taylor get the same slug of carries that he would get in Wisconsin scheme? Inother words, it seems to me that the guys like Washington and Wandall don't have to be every down backs to be elite in his system. But then again, I may not fully understand his system.
Ozigbo is about as "every down" as it gets for Frost. We can see that again, but to what you are saying, Frost likes exploiting matchups, and we tout how many guys we play at the position in the recruiting process, so we will be extremely fluid with our substitutions.

Ozigbo is about as "every down" as it gets for Frost. We can see that again, but to what you are saying, Frost likes exploiting matchups, and we tout how many guys we play at the position in the recruiting process, so we will be extremely fluid with our substitutions.

I think it's hard to have an every down back if you want to run tempo. I think a big advantage we could try to capitalize on would be having multiple players that can line up in multiple spots on the field. Imagine lining up with Robinson and Washington in the backfield, with Stoll on the end of the line at TE, with Spielman and Warner out wide. Then the next play, after no huddle, is Robinson in the backfield with Stoll in the slot on one side and Washington in the slot on the other. Then the next play its 5 wide. Then the next play is Washington in the backfield with Spielman, Warner, and Robinson all on one side. That would be a nightmare to stop without substituting, and by the offense not allowing them the chance you could end up with some real mismatches and a gassed defense.

What do I know though, except that this egg nog is delicious....

***, I love spiked eggnog (bourbon) just as much as I love your reading your analysis. Thanks again for all of the time and effort invested in keeping us informed, my Husker brother!

SB is a BIG RB with speed, power and moves and WR is a smaller version. Hypothetically, which would you rather have?

Well we have the obvious benefit of knowing how his career turned out so it was more an example. If I compared De’Anthony Thomas (who Robinson is considered similar to) and Barkley’s college career though, I’d take a hard look at picking DAT over him for this offense

The average of ***'s 9 position ratings is B minus. That seems about right. Solid class with a few holes. As someone pointed out in a different thread, this class on paper seems equivalent to a lot of the Pelini and Riley classes. The difference here is that we think, and not without reason, that player development, effort, leadership, teamwork and scheme will lead to better results than the raw recruiting ranking may predict.

I think it's hard to have an every down back if you want to run tempo. I think a big advantage we could try to capitalize on would be having multiple players that can line up in multiple spots on the field. Imagine lining up with Robinson and Washington in the backfield, with Stoll on the end of the line at TE, with Spielman and Warner out wide. Then the next play, after no huddle, is Robinson in the backfield with Stoll in the slot on one side and Washington in the slot on the other. Then the next play its 5 wide. Then the next play is Washington in the backfield with Spielman, Warner, and Robinson all on one side. That would be a nightmare to stop without substituting, and by the offense not allowing them the chance you could end up with some real mismatches and a gassed defense.

What do I know though, except that this egg nog is delicious....

ahhh, been sober for 16 years...............before that,........................................

The average of ***'s 9 position ratings is B minus. That seems about right. Solid class with a few holes. As someone pointed out in a different thread, this class on paper seems equivalent to a lot of the Pelini and Riley classes. The difference here is that we think, and not without reason, that player development, effort, leadership, teamwork and scheme will lead to better results than the raw recruiting ranking may predict.
I could be convinced that’s too low or too high right now, pretty subjective at this point. 2 or 3 position coaches that aren’t done yet. A coach or two that may lose someone. I “downgraded” guys like Beckton and Verduzco due to only having to get one recruit, but our QB coach got a four star so I would certainly listen to someone that says his B grade is too low.

Dewitt, Fisher, and Dawson will be what can get this class to an A-. Walters getting one of the two guys mentioned would just be a cherry on top of what he’s done so far.

7 - Greg Austin (C)
Desmond Bland - 4 star Rivals
Matthew Anderson - 3 star
Michael Lynn - 3 star
Bryce Benhart - composite 4 star
Jimmy Fritzsche - 3 star

Summary - This is an interesting position group. Before the Benhart commit, we were sitting at an unqualified Desmond Bland and then two developmental guys. Luckily, Bryce commits, and we take Jimmy Fritzcshe from Clemson to help things out. I have said before that OL is my worst position group to evaluate, and this staff is upping the stakes with that. They are going after kids with good frames that they are hoping Duval can do work on. They are recruiting length which makes it even more difficult to find those wrestler types like Tanner Farmer. Four stars like Jalin Barnett are a thing of the past. This staff wants tall and athletic guys, not squatty bowling balls. This group could fluctuate a little bit with what happens with Bland.
Wanted to bring this back up, as I know some people thought this grade was too low. The grade of a 'C' was basically because Bland was not qualified yet. So now, we have 3 developmental guys, and Benhart who will push for a starting spot. They needed a couple studs in this class, and we got one. Don't be surprised to see Piper move to OL once Pola-Mao commits.

Wanted to bring this back up, as I know some people thought this grade was too low. The grade of a 'C' was basically because Bland was not qualified yet. So now, we have 3 developmental guys, and Benhart who will push for a starting spot. They needed a couple studs in this class, and we got one. Don't be surprised to see Piper move to OL once Pola-Mao commits.

Whats your thoughts on that move?
And how far does a Piper move to the OL keep this grade from falling?

Whats your thoughts on that move?
I think Piper is a really good DL recruit. I think he would have success on the OL, but he’s certainly a different body type than we have been recruiting over there with this staff. I like keeping him at DL but also understand the numbers game as he is good enough to make either work IMO.

And how far does a Piper move to the OL keep this grade from falling?
Probably move it to a C+. I had it as a C assuming Bland wasn’t coming. Pipers a good get in either side of the ball, but he’s not a massive needle mover from a recruit standpoint like Benhart even tho I have confidence he will do well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back