• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Speculation on Joe Burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe something better than 4 loss seasons and last second wins over teams like McNeese St and Northwestern would change my mind. Or missing open receivers. Or getting picked off at key times. Or not scoring points in big games like Wisconsin. Just sayin...
Lost in all those complaints is the fact that NU averaged over 40 points last season with (IMO) a mediocre line. The QB play couldn't have been too bad.

I'm trying to understand exactly what OoL is suggesting. Is it that the previous staff couldn't recruit decent QBs? Which seems odd since we weren't the only P5 school offering. Or is it those QBs were products of the successful teams they played on? Which again seems odd since he suggests success prior to college is basically irrelevant. Or is it the prior staff were the only ones capable of developing their talent? Again, a strange notion, since we really haven't seen consistent, quality QBing the last several years, and our new coach does have a history of QB development. It's just strikes me as odd he seems to trickle his arguments in so many directions, with his only consistency being our QBs won't be any good.

I'm one of those with a similar opinion of RR and *** who feel we may not have had a true competition and quality QB coaching, so it's very difficult to know exactly what we do have. I would suggest that those players have a far better chance of becoming something special with those now in charge of their development.

Lost in all those complaints is the fact that NU averaged over 40 points last season with (IMO) a mediocre line. The QB play couldn't have been too bad.

We had one of the nation's top backs, and one of the nation's top return men, neither hampered that number. And would you say you found our QB play last year and in the prior 6 to be what most would call consistent? Did we generally have a positive turnover margin?

We had one of the nation's top backs, and one of the nation's top return men, neither hampered that number. And would you say you found our QB play last year and in the prior 6 to be what most would call consistent? Did we generally have a positive turnover margin?
I'm saying it's not too bad. And you appear to think I'm making a pro-Bo argument; what do the previous six years have to do with our returning talent level at quarterback?
As for downgrading the play of Armstrong because we had other good players on the offense, does that mean Ohio State had mediocre quarterbacks too? They had a stud running back as well, plus a much better offensive line.
To that point, did you hear Meyer's brief on-field interview after the Alabama game? He was asked how they got Cardale Jones to play so well with so little experience. He responded that Jones was surrounded by a lot of good players. It's a team game, and the OSU quarterbacks had the luxury of playing on a better team than Armstrong had around him.

Gibson taking visits elsewhere is huge! That certainly changes both the arithmetic and sales pitch that the Burrow family heard last week. No wonder the kid is so excited. He is the only QB in the national champs class.

RR, so now you are not only speaking for all of the HM board but the vast majority of Husker fans, too? That seems a bit rich.

I am having a hard time following the point you are trying to make through all of your posts... Seems like maybe your only objective is to have an Internet argument. If your goal is to chase people away from this thread, then you have probably succeeded.

Now that almost nobody is following this thread I will throw in my .02 cents on our QB situation. There is plenty of talent and there are proven winners. Stanton comes to mind as having huge potential, having been an elite 11 QB and hanging with the best in the country in that competition. Darlington was heavily recruited (to include tOSU I believe), by all account Bush has looked really good. Don't count out Fyfe either, that's the kind of kid that makes NU tick. Probably not as talented as the others but I bet he won't be out worked or out "hearted". Doesn't matter if he plays or not, having him in the QB room will make them all better. Plenty for this staff to work with.

Gibson taking visits elsewhere is huge! That certainly changes both the arithmetic and sales pitch that the Burrow family heard last week. No wonder the kid is so excited. He is the only QB in the national champs class.

So their 4* QB is looking around? Link? Not that i doubt you, I just want to get more info.

So their 4* QB is looking around? Link? Not that i doubt you, I just want to get more info.

Someone already posted it in this thread a couple pages back. Gibson is looking at Auburn. He has a visit set up.

I think Gibson is making the right move. Its will be a crap shoot to get on the field at tOSU for the foreseeable future imo. If there's 4-5 QB's on the roster they all will be 4-5* guys and all capable of being 3-4 year starters, barring injury. As much as JB is a Ohio kid, he's not the kind of kid that has the fans there jumping. He seems to be important to UM (wondering if he nudged Gibson by locking down Joe).

Either way, if you think you want to be the man you better pick the right situation because its easy to get lost on the depth chart, especially when there's a great likelihood that next years class will bring in another stud, and the next year...and so on. I was hoping JB would see the opportunity to compete early here but it wasn't to be. Good luck to him...I hope he doesn't burn us in a few years....then I will hunt down BP's cat and punch him in the gizzard.

Just remember, tOSU lost to an avg VaTech , and had close wins against Indy and PennSt, not exactly powerhouses. Okie also had a tough yr. Every team has close wins and even some big blowout losses. More so now than ever. More parity in college football

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back