• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Speaking of Andrew White III...

LarstheRed

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Tossing out our disappointment in his late in the process departure, do many people really feel he made an intelligent decision to leave? There were some positives in going with Syracuse that are pretty obvious:

-Playing in the ACC, a historically good conference.
-Playing for a school with a very good basketball reputation.
-Playing for a HoF coach. In reality, how much are you going to learn from HoF'er in a year?

Syracuse did have a winning record, but 19-15 didn't exactly wow anyone and they didn't make the tourney. Obviously North Carolina was the beast, but after that you had Duke and Louisville at 13-14, and FSU at 24, so not really a great year for that conference overall. To be fair, the B1G was flat out awful, but that could have given him a greater chance to shine individually. Speaking of individual shining, here are comparative stats from Junior to Senior years.

TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
SYR 37.2 5.9-13.3 .441 3.3-8.2 .403 3.5-4.1 .837 4.6 1.1 0.4 1.6 2.1 1.6 18.5
NEB 29.7 5.7-11.9 .481 2.6-6.2 .412 2.5-3.3 .775 5.9 0.6 0.3 1.1 2.6 1.6 16.6

As I hope you can see, the only dramatic increase in any area was minutes played. Shooting percentages went down everywhere but at the FT line. Rebounds fell off a bit, and only minor fluctuations in most other areas. Looking at the roster he went to, if the idea was he would be getting more looks because of a less crowded backcourt, that was a mistake. White led the team in scoring, but he was sharing the scoring with 2 other guards. A senior transfer from CSU, who was solid in about every offensive category, and a freshman with a similar game to White, who both scored in double figures. They also had a soph forward who shot the 3 well, was probably the best player on the team and drafted by the Nuggets in round 1.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but if White had stuck around, used his knowledge of how to play with his Nebraska teammates learned over the last 2 years, used his experience playing against the teams in the B1G and top competition at KU, don't we think he would have had a far greater chance to shine at Nebraska? I seriously doubt he would have only scored 18 points a game logging 37 minutes a game. I seriously doubt we would have seen the late season crumble with a little more offense and senior leadership. All in all, I think White substantially hurt his professional opportunities by leaving Nebraska. He easily could have been scoring 22+ a game. He had 2 guards who like to drive and needed a good kickout man. He had played with most of that team for 2 years, but went to a team that not only was unfamiliar to him, but was putting the point responsibility in the hands of another senior year mercenary. The guy did well, but it still was a hill to climb that he didn't really need, and I think he didn't get to show his abilities as well as he could have if he'd stayed at Nebraska.

I don't know if it's a meaningless topic, but I see such a trend to jump and run at the drop of a hat these days, and guys don't seem to recognize that getting really into a groove with teammates can elevate you so much faster. Just 2 or 3 easy looks you get from a teammate who knows where you are going to be a little sooner, and a little more frequently. 2, 3, even 4 more baskets a game can be a 4 to 12 point swing. 18.5 points a game is nice, but 80 other players scored that much or more last year, and nearly all did it playing fewer minutes. If he stays at Nebraska and is scoring at 23 a game, which I think was definitely possible, he's in the top 8 scorers in the NCAA and that would get him a few more looks. If his only thought was playing for a shot at the Final Four, I kind of get that, but Boheim would usually get deep in the tourney because of his intense trapping defenses, and White wasn't that strong on the defensive end. To me, it just seems someone was talking to him, and they ended up giving him some really poor advice.

I checked on White's progress a few times during the season and noticed that he was not exactly "tearing it up". The Sports Illustrated pre-season issue indicated that Syracuse felt he was their key to making a serious run in the NCAA tournament--a tournament that they never were invited to.

Yes, he could have helped us last year, but I was never a huge fan of AWIII. Yes, he had some nice scoring stats, but I never felt he was a dependable shooter when we really needed a basket. I didn't shed many tears when he left, and I don't think that he would have made a huge difference in our season had he stayed.

I doubt AW3 would have made the NBA regardless, but...

Speaking only in terms of basketball here, AW3 going to Syracuse put him in a better situation to showcase what he does best. The move didn't make him an overall better player though.

Even though he played for a better coach/system, got to shoot a bunch more threes, and played zone defense, his shooting percentages actually dropped at Syracuse, across the board.

Had he came back to Nebraska, his lateral quickness and defense would have improved for sure. So would his finishing skills. My point is that he was looking to showcase, not get better. I understand his dad's thought process, but as cosmetic as the NBA is, those scouts know that.

If he put up the exact same stats as he did last year only at Nebraska, I bet it would of been more beneficial to him just based on the scouts perceptions. All in all though, I don't think it made that big of difference either way, at least not in terms of NBA.

I doubt AW3 would have made the NBA regardless, but...

Speaking only in terms of basketball here, AW3 going to Syracuse put him in a better situation to showcase what he does best. The move didn't make him an overall better player though.

Even though he played for a better coach/system, got to shoot a bunch more threes, and played zone defense, his shooting percentages actually dropped at Syracuse, across the board.

Had he came back to Nebraska, his lateral quickness and defense would have improved for sure. So would his finishing skills. My point is that he was looking to showcase, not get better. I understand his dad's thought process, but as cosmetic as the NBA is, those scouts know that.

If he put up the exact same stats as he did last year only at Nebraska, I bet it would of been more beneficial to him just based on the scouts perceptions. All in all though, I don't think it made that big of difference either way, at least not in terms of NBA.

Here is where I have to differ with you. Syracuse wasn't going to give him a better opportunity to show his talents. They already had a couple of younger players who established themselves as good perimeter shooters. They were bringing in a senior transfer to run the show, and while he was good, he only had a few months to really learn his teammates; where they like to shoot, where the like the ball, gaps they favor, where to go when they have the ball. You can learn an offense and get a general grasp for players in a few weeks, but play with the 2, 3 or 4 years and it's a different world. You don't just practice during season, you play all the time. That comfort level can really enhance the a player's offense.

If you look at one of our major weaknesses, and one of the things that White wanted to showcase, it was consistency from 3. You have Webster and Watson look great one game, and stinky the next, and most of that was when they had no option to bail them out when they got stuffed on the drive. A couple of games McV hit some buckets, as did Horne, but overall, that was the one area we never found a reasonably consistent answer in. And while I think both of those guys tend to only look to pass when they are desperate, that can change when you have some confidence in the guys you are kicking it out to. White absolutely could have been that for the team, and I'd say he would have definitely been a 21-22 point scorer. That puts him either in or very close to the top 10 in NCAA. That's going to get you some attention if he'd shown he could take another step back and still hit. Syracuse was NOT the team to get him maximum exposure. Had they made some Final 4 run with White as the driving force, maybe then, but if you are looking at the opportunity to show you game for an entire season, Nebraska would have been the far smarter choice.

If this was all about being mad at Miles or his teammates because they didn't fall all over themselves to beg him not to declare, fine, it was a boneheaded idea. But he should have looked at things a little more carefully and remembered that a little familiarity with a guy's game can gain you several easy baskets a game. Those add up, and no matter what people may think, there is still a tendency to give heavy attention to the top scorers in the league.

Good post Lars. Although he would seem to 'disappear' (as far as scoring) in some games the prior season, I believe we would have been 'Dancing' if AW III had stayed last year, for the reasons you mentioned. Without external influences, I believe he would have stayed.

Last edited:
Good post Lars. Although he would seem to 'disappear' (as far as scoring) in some games the prior season, I believe we would have been 'Dancing' if AW III had stayed last year. Without external influences, I believe he would have stayed.

Some of the disappearance might be related to guys getting a little carried away with forcing shots when they would drive. I personally hate that style. If the only hope for a guy when penetrating the lane is for a prayer to be answered on some desperation fling toward the basket, or a bailout foul, then it's a bad decision and I'd yank him for doing it. Tai got away with it a little better than some because he actually prepared for contact, and was pretty strong. He still would have helped the team, as well as his own game, by kicking the ball out more.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back