• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Somebody doesn't think much of Urban Meyer

I think the author is pretty over the top with his accusations, but I also fear a lot of them are true. UM has always bothered me. I never can quite articulate why either. He bothers me the same way Tiger Woods bothers me. He gives you this superficial nice guy act that to me just doesn't seem genuine. He wants you to think he is a swell guy, but it is all so calculated almost scripted.

I to think Urb with show up somewhere soon, give him a year or 2 and he will be at a PAC12 school. USC is a good bet.

IMO College football is better off with him retired............. :Cheers:

Only question is how long he'll stay retired.......... :nod:

Last edited:
Reading the article I considered an irony that is amazing to ponder. Did anybody else notice this little paragraph tucked away in the middle of the article?

If you think Meyer, the most competitive, win-at-all-costs football coach of our generation, will just walk away at 54 years young, you're the same person who believes he's as pure and true as the Pope he's named after.

For whatever reasons I have never stopped to think about why Urban is named "Urban," but when I read that line, I knew enough Catholic Church history to say, "What? Pope Urban? Pure? Huh?" I did a Google search just to make sure, and here it is ...

Pope Urban II is the pope who called for a Holy War to retake the Holy Land; i.e.--he started the Crusades.

Pope Urban VI is the pope who was so scandalous that the Catholic Church was fractured, eventually leading to a point in time where three separate people claimed to be the Pope, and each had a faction of supporters. This period is now known as the Great Western Schism.

If your eyes are glazed over and you're asking yourself, "Self, why do I care about Catholic Church history and blah, blah, blah?" Well, here's the irony: If it's true that Urban Meyer was named after the popes named Urban, should we be surprised if he is known for scandal, conflict, and schism?

On a related note, I was reminded once again that I am a treasure trove of impractical knowledge.
Or, he may have been referring to one of the 6 other Popes named Urban whose tenures may (or may not--I don't know, I'm not Catholic) have been less nefarious than the ones you mentioned. It was a snide remark by the author. Who knows, Urban may be a family name so he may be named after an ancestor not a pope.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back