• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Solid State Drive Question (Rookie)

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
I'm ready to purchase SSD gadget. Question: Easy to transfer from my existing hard drive to SSD? (identical clone). I used Clonezilla software for years .... occasionally backup for a different HD (back-and-forth).

Use Samsung SSD's. Their drive clone software is basically install, run, select drive, click Clone.

Otherwise I also like Macrium Reflect. It's free.

Do you have a USB to SATA cable to do the clone?

www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84

Thanks.

Yes, my two HD's are identical .... WD 250G SATA. Both HD's had no problems at all but I decided to leap SSD. My motherboard got 6 SATA ports; three spares with two unused cables.

And I will try your Macrium Reflect .... maybe. I trust old reliable Clonezilla though .....

Thanks.

Yes, my two HD's are identical .... WD 250G SATA. Both HD's had no problems at all but I decided to leap SSD. My motherboard got 6 SATA ports; three spares with two unused cables.

And I will try your Macrium Reflect .... maybe. I trust old reliable Clonezilla though .....
Either way, but if you do get a Samsung SSD then I would recommend using the software that comes with it. Easy, no fuss and fast.

Just picked up a QNAP 4 bay NAS this week and debated on SSD or not. Just too expensive for what I'm using it for. Ended up slapping a couple of Toshiba 2TB drives in there for now.

Still trying to figure out all the cool Stuff it can do.

Just picked up a QNAP 4 bay NAS this week and debated on SSD or not. Just too expensive for what I'm using it for. Ended up slapping a couple of Toshiba 2TB drives in there for now.

Still trying to figure out all the cool Stuff it can do.

QNAP? Beyond me .... (I'm old as a rock). Dummy here; what's the purpose anyway?

Supposed SSD is 10 times faster than mechanical HD. Now days, less than $100 SSD (250G). 250G is plenty of storage for me .... right now, only 85G used space on my desktop PC.

Last edited:
QNAP? Beyond me .... (I'm old as a rock). Dummy here; what's the purpose anyway?

Supposed SSD is 10 times faster than mechanical HD. Now days, less than $100 SSD (250G). 250G is plenty of storage for me .... right now, only 85G used space on my desktop PC.
I'm using it as a media server. Plex mostly. So I need lots of space to store my movies.

I'm using it as a media server. Plex mostly. So I need lots of space to store my movies.
That reminds me, I have a 6 bay NAS that I need to fill up and deploy as a backup replication target. We want to copy our backups off-site. Just need the time to do it.

That reminds me, I have a 6 bay NAS that I need to fill up and deploy as a backup replication target. We want to copy our backups off-site. Just need the time to do it.
I'm just techie enough to set this thing up as a media server/storage garage for all my movies. I'll need a buddy to come tell me all the other cool stuff I can do with making our company docs available everywhere, backup of our photos of the kids, share things and other stuff I've no idea is even available.

I also recommend Samsung SSDs, especially their EVO line. I have 2 SSDs in my primary desktop, one Samsung for storage and a Sandisk for the OS.

As for the NAS, I strongly recommend NOT using an consumer grade SSD for storage. They are not designed for network storage. I suggest a Enterprise grade SSD. I don't use SSD for my NAS, but use WD Red drives, they are design for NAS use. They are a little more expensive, but much more reliable.

For Enterprise SSD: Amazon has some from Intel that are recommended on other sites. I haven't used them myself.

Here is a good forum discussion on SSD in an NAS and why a consumer SSD is a bad idea.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1896824-regular-samsung-ssd-evo-in-nas-it-s-ok

You remember 3 years ago or so, big time spikes on HD costs due to a Thailand flood? Mostly built in Thailand factories. Fortunately less than 6 months recover, back to normal cost. Supply and Demands thing

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back