• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So the truth comes out on UCF schedule

I think years ago Fresno State said they would play anyone anywhere, pretty sure they did, that was when Pat Hill was the coach. If I remember right they won a few and scared more than a few. So point is, it can be done.

I think years ago Fresno State said they would play anyone anywhere, pretty sure they did, that was when Pat Hill was the coach. If I remember right they won a few and scared more than a few. So point is, it can be done.
Southern Miss has had that motto for a long time, they had it back when Farve was the starting Golden Eagles QB. They have played anybody that would schedule them including Nebraska, Alabama and FSU. We lost one of those games, in Lincoln no less. If you wanna claim it, better be willing to prove it. Southern Miss did.

Last edited:
They say they are willing to schedule any P6 team but only in a 1-1. They are too good to do a 2-1. What happened to their claim that they'd play anyone anywhere. Interesting part was Danny White's comments that since he was there he was under the understanding that a game such as this wasn't available...…. shouldn't he be the one that should know?

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-stricklin-welcome-2-1-series-vs-ucf-knights

1 and 1 fulfills the "anyone anywhere" comment.

1 and 1 fulfills the "anyone anywhere" comment.
No it doesn't. UCF is complaining that nobody will schedule them and that puts them at a disadvantage. The truth of the matter is a lot of teams will schedule them if they are willing to go on the road. You cannot expect the big boys to travel 1-1 to a 50,000 seat stadium. These programs have paid their price over the years to get 300 + consecutive sellouts and consistent large crowds. UCF needs to pay their price to enlarge their facilities or go on the road. Either way anyone anywhere does not go along with demanding 1-1.

Big boys certainly don't want to play UCF, either. A school like Nebraska would be happy to give a million bucks for a "guaranteed" win, but they're not going to pay a UCF to visit and potentially ruin the season. A home and away series would seem to be fair at this point.

UCF has a stadium that is larger than Power 5 conference members like Baylor, TCU, Vanderbilt, Duke, Washington State, and Wake Forest. Several other teams are in the 50,000 range, including the newest Big 10 members Rutgers and Maryland. Minnesota's brand new stadium only seats about 52,000. Heck, Oregon, with all of their Nike money, only have a capacity of 53,800.

Stadium size has nothing to do with it. UCF would do well to accept some 2-for-1 deals for now, but they can't do that forever. Perhaps the Big 10 could expand into the south and pick them up.

Big boys certainly don't want to play UCF, either. A school like Nebraska would be happy to give a million bucks for a "guaranteed" win, but they're not going to pay a UCF to visit and potentially ruin the season. A home and away series would seem to be fair at this point.

UCF has a stadium that is larger than Power 5 conference members like Baylor, TCU, Vanderbilt, Duke, Washington State, and Wake Forest. Several other teams are in the 50,000 range, including the newest Big 10 members Rutgers and Maryland. Minnesota's brand new stadium only seats about 52,000. Heck, Oregon, with all of their Nike money, only have a capacity of 53,800.

Stadium size has nothing to do with it. UCF would do well to accept some 2-for-1 deals for now, but they can't do that forever. Perhaps the Big 10 could expand into the south and pick them up.
The big boys don't want to play UCF but its not because they are worried about "ruining" their season if they lost. Heck there are posters on here who believe the only part that counts is winning the conference title. Northwestern lost all their non-conference games and was a td back in the 4th quarter of meeting their definition of being an automatic qualifier.

The problem isn't with UCF but that any G6 teams don't offer enough upside to give them a 1-1 when they can get 2-1 's or even 0-1's with guaranteed money from everyone else. Why give them a better deal? Its certainly not because you want to take your fans down there in the middle of hurricane season and/or put them in a small piece of crap stadium where you walk outside and get drenched in sweat before you even make it to your car. And stadium size does matter because there is a certain amount of expense money reimbursed and at one time it was based on attendance. Now I know we have some small stadiums in the B1G but we also get 50 million a year to go play those teams. There is zero value in going to UCF and it certainly isn't because teams fear them.

Football is big business and decisions are based on the money and maximizing that money. Its not because they are scared to play UCF.

No it doesn't. UCF is complaining that nobody will schedule them and that puts them at a disadvantage. The truth of the matter is a lot of teams will schedule them if they are willing to go on the road. You cannot expect the big boys to travel 1-1 to a 50,000 seat stadium. These programs have paid their price over the years to get 300 + consecutive sellouts and consistent large crowds. UCF needs to pay their price to enlarge their facilities or go on the road. Either way anyone anywhere does not go along with demanding 1-1.

I only know of one program in football that has over 300 consecutive sellouts. Who are the others?

oops, didn't see 707..... comment.

Last edited:
Conflicted. On paper, UCF seems to now have the pedigree to be able to insist on a one for one with the big boys but on the other hand, they are not going to have to go through the rigors of a ultra-competitive conference schedule afterwards either. When barely ranked teams(also mostly because of the AAC) like Memphis and USF are your 'big games' every year, you can afford to roll the dice at the beginning of the season because you know you are going to get your momentum back if you lose.

For UCF, this is low risk/high reward and for a team like Nebraska or Florida, its the opposite.

I think UCF should take the 2-1 Florida deal. Close to home and they can get some fan support at the away game.

What they really need to do is to find a real conference to play in and then really prove themselves. It was that way with Boise State and UCF is no different.

Last edited:
Yes it does.

They say they are willing to schedule any P6 team but only in a 1-1. They are too good to do a 2-1. What happened to their claim that they'd play anyone anywhere. Interesting part was Danny White's comments that since he was there he was under the understanding that a game such as this wasn't available...…. shouldn't he be the one that should know?

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-stricklin-welcome-2-1-series-vs-ucf-knights
They play a 9 game conference schedule. I wouldn't do a 2 for 1 if I was in Whites shoes.

Also, playing a single game satisfies the "play anyone, anywhere" mantra. Adding the 1 and 1 or 2 for 1 to make it "qualify" is just small minded.

Southern Miss has had that motto for a long time, they had it back when Farve was the starting Golden Eagles QB. They have played anybody that would schedule them including Nebraska, Alabama and FSU. We lost one of those games, in Lincoln no less. If you wanna claim it, better be willing to prove it. Southern Miss did.
I remember on 4th down Joe Dailey running out of bounds short of the 1st down late in that Southern Miss. game. Sheesh what a boneheaded move that was.

Conflicted. On paper, UCF seems to now have the pedigree to be able to insist on a one for one with the big boys but on the other hand, they are not going to have to go through the rigors of a ultra-competitive conference schedule afterwards either. When barely ranked teams(also mostly because of the AAC) like Memphis and USF are your 'big games' every year, you can afford to roll the dice at the beginning of the season because you know you are going to get your momentum back if you lose.

For UCF, this is low risk/high reward and for a team like Nebraska or Florida, its the opposite.

I think UCF should take the 2-1 Florida deal. Close to home and they can get some fan support at the away game.

What they really need to do is to find a real conference to play in and then really prove themselves. It was that way with Boise State and UCF is no different.

That's not really up to them though. It's not like the ACC or SEC is going to come calling. The only chance is the Big 12 and that's unlikely.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back