• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Signing day and upcoming spring practice thoughts

Great writeup!

As to the quoted part, a lot of the reason they didn't have soft-tissue injury is because of the way they practice. When you're in great shape and you're constantly moving and keeping your muscles loose and warm, you're less likely to get injured.

Also, being the aggressor rather than sitting back getting hammered - that makes a huge difference as well. Aggressive culture makes a difference in preparation, injuries, and recovery, IMO. How many 90's Huskers do you remember laying around on the field injured? That must have been an unspoken team goal - never show weakness. (fast forward to the NFL where injury time-outs are "strategic" :rolleyes:).

As I recall, Duvall is a proponent of the "cold tank" after exertion. I can't speak to how universal this practice is, but I remember reading comments from either Zach or another coach that mentioned this practice was an asset for recovery.

Last edited:

Great post. Mostly unrelated, but why does Title IX factor into the roster size, since only 85 can be on scholarship? Does Title IX include non scholarship opportunities as well? If the women's sports added more non-scholarship players it would be ok?

I also think Nebraska will be in the running for the best dual-threat QB's every class. In a year or two, when this offense resembles this last year's UCF squad and they're putting up those kinds of numbers, kids are absolutely going to want to play in it.

Would also be nice (and very important) to be in the running for the best defensive tackles/nose tackles every year. We did didn't have any DTs in this recruiting class. How many will we be targeting for the next one?

IMO, the biggest reason UCF Beat Auburn to win their 1st NC was because of Jamiyus Pittman (311lbs), Joey Connors (302 lbs), Tony Guerad (300 lbs) and Trysten Hill (325 lbs). Those 4 defensive linemen along with Shaquem Griffin played a great game and were primarily responsible for holding Auburn to their lowest rushing total of the 2017 season...90 yards on 44 carries.

Yes, QBs are essential, but so are the big, strong, agile DTs. I was disappointed we did not get any in this recruiting class.

Last edited:
Great post. Mostly unrelated, but why does Title IX factor into the roster size, since only 85 can be on scholarship? Does Title IX include non scholarship opportunities as well? If the women's sports added more non-scholarship players it would be ok?
I used to think Title IX only applied to scholarships a University could give out. For example, baseball gives partial scholarships because football accounts for so many male scholarships that if baseball received full scholarships as well, there would need to be nearly twice as many womens sports. But I believe there has to be just as many male athletes as female, scholarship or non-scholarship, at the University.

One thing I wanted to add about the recruiting... i've heard some local radio hosts and others be a bit upset about the lack of linemen (especially offensively) in the class. Offensively, we literally didn't have the room, as there are already 14 scholarship linemen in the room. Cav did a good job beefing up the depth there, just not developing it. I absolutely expect to see 4 OL at minimum come in this year, especially with Chris Walker moving to defense.

I'm really excited for DL recruiting this next year. Pittman (280 pound 3 star out of high school), Guerad (250 pound 2 star out of high school), and Hill (308 pound offensive guard out of high school) were the UCF starters to begin the season. Watching their games, I would have taken any of those guys to come play and most likely start for us. Is it coaching, did the UCF staff get lucky? I don't know, but look or us to take a NG and a DE again this class for sure, but we have quite a bit of guys on scholarship on the DL as well. With Walker moving to DL, and possibly Stille shifting down to DE, could make for a light year on the DL again. But i'd expect at least 2 guys recruited if not more.

Long story short, don't let lack of linemen in the 2018 class concern you. It was one of those things where we couldn't justify adding more bodies to a room when WR, DB, RB needed so much help.

Last edited:

Great Job. I could comment on several things that I really believe you nailed but I will comment on just one. Washington. I feel the same way about him. I think if this staff can convince him that team is more important than I.......he can be a special player. I can't imagine another staff in the country better equipped for this. He might have great numbers going somewhere else because they would promise him a spot.....but I doubt he would get that growth he needs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back