• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should we believe Chinander? Is that enough?

Do you think most of that good tackling starts with good coaching? Not trying to slam our DC but good grief I honestly thought we'd see much improved tackling this season? To date that sure hasn't been the case imo...
We are not going to fix what ails us in a half season. The tackling needs to improve, but this wont be fixed overnight. Tackling, like rebounding in basketball, is a mentality. I personally think it is as much that as it is technique. And we've had tackling issues for a while here...so this is nothing new and therefore will take time to correct.

We are not going to fix what ails us in a half season. The tackling needs to improve, but this wont be fixed overnight. Tackling, like rebounding in basketball, is a mentality. I personally think it is as much that as it is technique. And we've had tackling issues for a while here...so this is nothing new and therefore will take time to correct.

Completely agree with this.

I keep going back to the following for the kids on the defensive side of the current roster, they've played in three different defenses for defensive coordinators in the last three years. That alone is enough to make me look at this seasons results in a different light. I'll give it some time. Fix the effort and want to mistakes this year. No question. I don't care how good they are at checking all of Chinander's boxes, they need to play hard for four quarters every...single...week. I think they're close to that now. Fix recognition and execution before we're into conference play next year and we can actually evaluate the defense. It'll still be a work in progress as the staff brings on new talent, develops whats on the roster and S&C continues to do it's job.

I'll agree it's a combination of athletic ability, desire and coaching. When I saw the ridiculous spectacle of Lee dancing around from what he thought was a big hit that didn't stop the runner and a micro second later getting flattened by a lineman I just SMH! That's coaching to me which I hope was addressed this week. It does show some very undisplined play which has hurt this team big time.

I realize some of these things are going to require more time. I also agree SF is going to need talent upgrades in certain positions before these issues will be fully resolved........

Well, hopefully the coaches will stop teaching the players to make a half arsed attempt at tackling followed by dancing. Now that the coaches see how ineffective that style of play is, I’m certain they will teach another method instead.

Be ferocious on defense. Believe that every play could end with a turnover. Always end up with two guys making the tackle. Either hurt (legally/safely) the guy or rip the ball every time. Make a memory. If you are a defensive player and you take a play off mentally, fear losing your job. Chinander needs to hold these guys to the highest standard, if they are not there yet, then put the next guy in. If the next guy is even worse, then go to the next guy. The number one attribute should be mental toughness and ferocity. If you dont have anybody that will do that, then I guess we wait till next season and see if they can bring in somebody.

A good example is:

2003 = 47 Turnovers by Husker defense - Bo hailed as defensive genius.

The rest of the story:
2008 = 17
2009 = 28
2010 = 23
2011 = 18
2012 = 23
2013 = 18
2014 = 23
IIRC, we had the Brown twins playing at both Safety positions in 2003... They were worth a pick or two a game IIRC.

I'll agree it's a combination of athletic ability, desire and coaching. When I saw the ridiculous spectacle of Lee dancing around from what he thought was a big hit that didn't stop the runner and a micro second later getting flattened by a lineman I just SMH! That's coaching to me which I hope was addressed this week. It does show some very undisplined play which has hurt this team big time.

I realize some of these things are going to require more time. I also agree SF is going to need talent upgrades in certain positions before these issues will be fully resolved........

If you watch that film you see wisconsin gang tackling and tackling by wrapping up the legs instead of grabbing the shoulders like I've seen our defense do. It's technique and desire to do it right IMO.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_c646c36a-2b15-5162-8de1-4d0842c42a70.html

“We’re OK with knocking balls down,” defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said Tuesday. “We’re celebrating after a knockdown pass. Passes aren’t supposed to get knocked down, they’re supposed to get intercepted. We have to be disappointed in a knockdown and mad we didn’t get the pick.”
Reed had a chance to intercept that, Chinander believes. And if he does, he had a lane for a touchdown. At that point, it’d be 7-3 Nebraska in the first quarter. And that changes the game.
That’s how close Chinander believes this defense is to being better. It’s ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten in nearly every category, and those turnovers just aren’t coming this year like they did for UCF in 2017.

They have been saying it all along, but it seems like a cop out. I'll bet if it were happening, then this really would turn out differently. Can we trust and follow on this one? Would it be ok if we let Wisconsin run all over us bet stay close or pull off the upset due to getting 2-3 take aways and changing the trajectory of the game? I say, it would be ok in the interim, but I would want it to just be part of the whole package as we roll along.
Turnovers create momentum they can easily change a game. I agree with the defensive coordinator.

There's been quite a bit of research regarding the randomness of turnovers, and the studies indicate that around 55% of turnovers are explained by luck.

That still leaves 45% of turnovers explained by something else - defensive player skill and QB accuracy are big ones. I'm not sure if much can be attributed to coaching. You can draw up more blitzes and do tip drills and strip drills, but it's hard to coach turnovers.

In Nebraska's case, I'm sure playing from behind isn't helping. The NU offense has to to take more risks while opposing offenses can get more conservative.

Chinander/Frost do coach turnovers (and scoring off turnovers) in ways that greatly increase the likelihood of forcing turnovers that would otherwise not occur. If you listen to what they're currently upset about, they're telling you one of the big ways: Fischer/Chinander/Frost want the CBs to be turning to play the ball aggressively, and they're trying to get them to understand the techniques and timing that goes into that. This doesn't just happen. When you see a DB put his hand between the offensive player's hands and strip down on an arm to break up the pass, that was taught, and that was rep'd in practice: Chinander/Fisher/Frost do NOT want that type of mentality. They want the Deon Sanders mentality of playing every ball in the air like it belongs to them. Nebraska's D-backs have not played that style of pass defense for a long time. When a Safety makes a pick on an errant pass, that's pretty much your typical interception, and everyone eventually gets those, but when your CB goes airborne with the WR and high-points the ball, that is athleticism and coaching and lots and lots of reps in practice.

Nebraska made this switch before. The George Darlington DBs of the 80s and 90s played the receiver and not the ball. Watch highlights (or, more accurately, "lowlights") of the 80s and early 90s bowl games against Florida State and Miami and you'll see play after play where the opposing QB heaves it up and a fast WR goes up and makes a play ... over top of an Nebraska defender who never even turned around. When they shifted to the attacking 4-3 defense in the spring of '92, they also shifted to a lot more man-to-man coverage on the edges with CBs in bump & run, and those guys were taught to play the ball. Barron Miles was one of the first CBs to play this way, but everyone after him was expected to do the same. There is a tradeoff, though, in that it does open the team up to some big plays when they do get burned, but they were betting on more pressure from an aggressive pass rush combined with faster LBs and Safeties to cover in space would mean that there would be more jumpballs, and the CBs would win some of those. Go back and watch that '96 Fiesta Bowl and look at how many times the CBs got burned by Florida receivers. You don't remember that so much because they also made a lot of picks. That is a combination of defensive scheme, coaching technique, player athleticism, and lots and lots of reps.

Chins also stresses stripping the ball, how to cover the ball (fetal position in traffic, but like a shortstop on a low grounder in the open field), high-pointing tipped balls, etc., and they do daily drills to work on all of the above. All coaches will say that they work on those things, but very few coaches work on those things every day. When you drill it and rep it to the point that there is no conscious thought about how to make an open-field tackle or QB sack while also stripping with the off-hand, you see the result of coaching. Maurice Clarett stripped the Miami defender of the ball and recovered a fumble after Miami had caused a turnover in the 2003 championship game. When they asked him about it afterwards, he said that he hadn't really even thought about it: they had practiced that in their RB drills every day, all year, and that just happened to be the first time that he had had the opportunity to use that skill in a game. When we say "instinct took over," what we really mean is that "he did what he was trained to do without thinking."

Patience. Patience. Good things will come.

Chinander/Frost do coach turnovers (and scoring off turnovers) in ways that greatly increase the likelihood of forcing turnovers that would otherwise not occur. If you listen to what they're currently upset about, they're telling you one of the big ways: Fischer/Chinander/Frost want the CBs to be turning to play the ball aggressively, and they're trying to get them to understand the techniques and timing that goes into that. This doesn't just happen. When you see a DB put his hand between the offensive player's hands and strip down on an arm to break up the pass, that was taught, and that was rep'd in practice: Chinander/Fisher/Frost do NOT want that type of mentality. They want the Deon Sanders mentality of playing every ball in the air like it belongs to them. Nebraska's D-backs have not played that style of pass defense for a long time. When a Safety makes a pick on an errant pass, that's pretty much your typical interception, and everyone eventually gets those, but when your CB goes airborne with the WR and high-points the ball, that is athleticism and coaching and lots and lots of reps in practice.

Nebraska made this switch before. The George Darlington DBs of the 80s and 90s played the receiver and not the ball. Watch highlights (or, more accurately, "lowlights") of the 80s and early 90s bowl games against Florida State and Miami and you'll see play after play where the opposing QB heaves it up and a fast WR goes up and makes a play ... over top of an Nebraska defender who never even turned around. When they shifted to the attacking 4-3 defense in the spring of '92, they also shifted to a lot more man-to-man coverage on the edges with CBs in bump & run, and those guys were taught to play the ball. Barron Miles was one of the first CBs to play this way, but everyone after him was expected to do the same. There is a tradeoff, though, in that it does open the team up to some big plays when they do get burned, but they were betting on more pressure from an aggressive pass rush combined with faster LBs and Safeties to cover in space would mean that there would be more jumpballs, and the CBs would win some of those. Go back and watch that '96 Fiesta Bowl and look at how many times the CBs got burned by Florida receivers. You don't remember that so much because they also made a lot of picks. That is a combination of defensive scheme, coaching technique, player athleticism, and lots and lots of reps.

Chins also stresses stripping the ball, how to cover the ball (fetal position in traffic, but like a shortstop on a low grounder in the open field), high-pointing tipped balls, etc., and they do daily drills to work on all of the above. All coaches will say that they work on those things, but very few coaches work on those things every day. When you drill it and rep it to the point that there is no conscious thought about how to make an open-field tackle or QB sack while also stripping with the off-hand, you see the result of coaching. Maurice Clarett stripped the Miami defender of the ball and recovered a fumble after Miami had caused a turnover in the 2003 championship game. When they asked him about it afterwards, he said that he hadn't really even thought about it: they had practiced that in their RB drills every day, all year, and that just happened to be the first time that he had had the opportunity to use that skill in a game. When we say "instinct took over," what we really mean is that "he did what he was trained to do without thinking."

Excellent post....... watch film of Lavonte David as he is terrific at tackling while striping the ball away imo.

reps + s/c + coaching + talent + depth = success. right now our talent and depth are mighty thin. give a lot of these guys 2-3 years with this staff and they magically become good players. ucf's scoring defense was top 10 last year in the first half of the season, then injuries started thinning them out and the result was hold on and hope you can outscore your opppent. melton had a bad throwing day against auburn but the defense had enough guys back and able to play at a higher level to hold auburn off in the 4th quarter. frost and co. will get us there just not soon enough for me.
Well we could start all over again, and make it take even longer:Sarcasm:

Great post!

I appreciate the thoughtful post. Good info, especially regarding playing the ball more aggressively. I did mention both strip and tip drills. I'd guess that all teams do these types of drills, perhaps some more than others but still difficult to gain an edge.

It's still 55% luck regardless. I'd also bet that of the 45% explained by something else, 3/4 is simply better players. The play Maurice made (along with the one Lavonte David made vs. OSU) were examples of very elite athletes doing elite athlete things. The reps obviously help, but both those guys were among the best (if not the best) players on the field in those games.

Last edited:

I'd also bet that of the 45% explained by something else, 3/4 is simply better players. The play Maurice made (along with the one Lavonte David made vs. OSU) were examples of very elite athletes doing elite athlete things. The reps obviously help, but both those guys were among the best (if not the best) players on the field in those games.

I absolutely agree, and I had intended on adding that in my comment. Bigger, stronger, faster athletes tend to make more big plays in every way, including causing turnovers. Shaquem Griffin and Mike Hughes would be two prime examples of superior athletes combined with excellent coaching. If, as others said above, UCF's turnover margin drops this year, probably some significant part of that would be because those two are gone. It also might be because the new staff will likely stop taking up as much practice time working on all of the various turnover drills.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Defensive lineman recruiting 2019 class that we have said they will attend NU and only see two 3 star signees. When I look at the prospects at link below I don't see any additional DT/DEs to these two.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Season/2019-Football/Targets/

Am I missing something as far as who we have waiting in the wings, e.g. red-shirts, 3/4th string players that are waiting their turn? Seems like we aren't recruiting or getting any interest from any defensive line athletes that we obviously need. IMO we need some strong athletic defensive lineman ASAP.

Am I missing something as far as who we have waiting in the wings, e.g. red-shirts, 3/4th string players that are waiting their turn? Seems like we aren't recruiting or getting any interest from any defensive line athletes that we obviously need. IMO we need some strong athletic defensive lineman ASAP.

Osborne and his staff felt that the four toughest positions to fill with all-America talent were QB,I-back, Cornerback, and D-line. Whenever they had a chance to take an extra one of any of these, they did. It makes sense that the QB and RB positions would be tough to keep stocked at the highest level, but I think that most football fans would be surprised to realize how rare top-quality CBs and D-linemen are. You can build a good athlete with the right frame into a decent run-gap filling D-lineman, but the guys with the combination of the physique, motor, attitude, and quick hands and feet are rare. Looking back, I'm increasingly convinced that Suh should have won the Heisman that year, and Woodson deserved his. Those kinds of players are once-in-a-program's existence kinds of athletes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back