• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should we believe Chinander? Is that enough?

There's been quite a bit of research regarding the randomness of turnovers, and the studies indicate that around 55% of turnovers are explained by luck.

That still leaves 45% of turnovers explained by something else - defensive player skill and QB accuracy are big ones. I'm not sure if much can be attributed to coaching. You can draw up more blitzes and do tip drills and strip drills, but it's hard to coach turnovers.

In Nebraska's case, I'm sure playing from behind isn't helping. The NU offense has to to take more risks while opposing offenses can get more conservative.

A good example is:

2003 = 47 Turnovers by Husker defense - Bo hailed as defensive genius.

The rest of the story:
2008 = 17
2009 = 28
2010 = 23
2011 = 18
2012 = 23
2013 = 18
2014 = 23

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_c646c36a-2b15-5162-8de1-4d0842c42a70.html

“We’re OK with knocking balls down,” defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said Tuesday. “We’re celebrating after a knockdown pass. Passes aren’t supposed to get knocked down, they’re supposed to get intercepted. We have to be disappointed in a knockdown and mad we didn’t get the pick.”
Reed had a chance to intercept that, Chinander believes. And if he does, he had a lane for a touchdown. At that point, it’d be 7-3 Nebraska in the first quarter. And that changes the game.
That’s how close Chinander believes this defense is to being better. It’s ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten in nearly every category, and those turnovers just aren’t coming this year like they did for UCF in 2017.

They have been saying it all along, but it seems like a cop out. I'll bet if it were happening, then this really would turn out differently. Can we trust and follow on this one? Would it be ok if we let Wisconsin run all over us bet stay close or pull off the upset due to getting 2-3 take aways and changing the trajectory of the game? I say, it would be ok in the interim, but I would want it to just be part of the whole package as we roll along.
Uh...what?

turn head around and look for ball especially when approaching end zone as they are running out of room and usually time. hard to get used to but have to learn to do it. practice it til it becomes second nature. study opponents and learn their strengths, successful routes. likely to see what has been successful again and again

Last season UCF forced 14 fumbles in 13 games while Nebraska this season has forced 2 fumbles in 5 games! We're towards the bottom (107th) of that stat..... UCF disrupted a lot teams offense in 2017 from forced fumbles. I believe our lack of forcing fumbles is a direct result of our terrible tackling? Even when a team recovers their own fumble it often derails their offense.

Nebraska has a lot of defensive issues but I believe poor tackling is one of the major issues.... Taylor was tossing off our defenders like they were fleas when he had many of his runs. Never going to improve that defense unless our players learn how to properly tackle imo.

Last season UCF forced 14 fumbles in 13 games while Nebraska this season has forced 2 fumbles in 5 games! We're towards the bottom (107th) of that stat..... UCF disrupted a lot teams offense in 2017 from forced fumbles. I believe our lack of forcing fumbles is a direct result of our terrible tackling? Even when a team recovers their own fumble it often derails their offense.

Nebraska has a lot of defensive issues but I believe poor tackling is one of the major issues.... Taylor was tossing off our defenders like they were fleas when he had many of his runs. Never going to improve that defense unless our players learn how to properly tackle imo.

Agree with the bolded. I was just watching Matinez's highlights in another thread. While he was impressive with his throwing and the receivers catching, winsconsin almost never missed a tackle. Something we could learn.

Agree with the bolded. I was just watching Matinez's highlights in another thread. While he was impressive with his throwing and the receivers catching, winsconsin almost never missed a tackle. Something we could learn.
Do you think most of that good tackling starts with good coaching? Not trying to slam our DC but good grief I honestly thought we'd see much improved tackling this season? To date that sure hasn't been the case imo...

Do you think most of that good tackling starts with good coaching? Not trying to slam our DC but good grief I honestly thought we'd see much improved tackling this season? To date that sure hasn't been the case imo...

I think good tackling sometimes is a reflection of the athletic ability of the tacklers, their conditioning, and how long they’ve been on the field. The NU defense held Wisconsin point totals pretty low early on. But they needed a little help from the offense. They didn’t get it, leaving the defense on the field far too long. By the third quarter, the defense was starting to show fatigue. It was about this time that the offense decided to show a pulse. But by that point, it was too little too late.

I think good tackling sometimes is a reflection of the athletic ability of the tacklers, their conditioning, and how long they’ve been on the field. The NU defense held Wisconsin point totals pretty low early on. But they needed a little help from the offense. They didn’t get it, leaving the defense on the field far too long. By the third quarter, the defense was starting to show fatigue. It was about this time that the offense decided to show a pulse. But by that point, it was too little too late.
I'll agree it's a combination of athletic ability, desire and coaching. When I saw the ridiculous spectacle of Lee dancing around from what he thought was a big hit that didn't stop the runner and a micro second later getting flattened by a lineman I just SMH! That's coaching to me which I hope was addressed this week. It does show some very undisplined play which has hurt this team big time.

I realize some of these things are going to require more time. I also agree SF is going to need talent upgrades in certain positions before these issues will be fully resolved........

And this year in 4 games UCF has produced 1 fumble. Did they forget how to "force" those fumbles so quickly? Or, were they pretty lucky last year? Or did they play a bunch of sloppy tempo teams last year? I say they were lucky.

Last edited:

So far this season we've been devoid of both imo.
We have some players that aren't tough, aren't mean, and therefore lack the aggressiveness needed to cause turnovers. Yeah, they aren't good tackler's either. And, probably wouldn't fight as hard for a ball laying on the ground as opposing teams would. But Chin has some time to fix this...

Last edited:

We have some players that aren't tough, aren't mean, and therefore lack the aggressiveness needed to cause turnovers. Yeah, they aren't good tackler's either. And, probably wouldn't fight as hard for a ball laying on the ground as opposing teams would. But Chin has some time to fix this...
Agree..........

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back