• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel: 'Dougie Mania' could turn into CU magic

bilsker

Tom Osborne
15 Year Member
Nice column by Shatel today. The most interesting quotes IMO were from Greg McDermott as to why he wasn't comfortable bringing Doug into the mess at ISU. Not often that you hear a coach take the blame for the mess created:

Doug's size surely scared off other big schools, who were usually in the gym watching Doug's high school teammate, Harrison Barnes. But when his own dad wouldn't bite, the other big boys took a cue, though dad had his reasons.

"Part of it was just the uncertainty of exactly where did he fit in," Greg said. "Is he a role player? Could he eventually develop into one of your main contributors?

"When you talk about the possibility of coaching your son, you want him to have the best possible experience that he can have. And I was a little leery to bring him into a situation where his ability would be questioned and my decisions to play him or not play him would be questioned.

"And, frankly, to be 100 percent honest, I wasn't real pleased with the culture of the program at my time at Iowa State. I had made some bad decisions. And as a result, the program didn't stand for the things that I wanted it to stand for. That's 100 percent my fault.

"He (Doug) lived my pain when I came home. He was frustrated by some of the things that had transpired in our program, which was 100 percent my fault."

"I don't think there's any question now,'' Greg said. "He can play at that level."

Good stuff from Shatel. Although, I think it's a bit presumptuous to think McDermott will play all four years. I doubt he would declare after this season, but if the guy is playing at his current level all this year and next, why wouldn't he go pro early? What's so different between McDermott, and say a guy like Gordon Hayward who left after his Soph season at Butler, and was a lottery pick?

Good stuff from Shatel. Although, I think it's a bit presumptuous to think McDermott will play all four years. I doubt he would declare after this season, but if the guy is playing at his current level all this year and next, why wouldn't he go pro early? What's so different between McDermott, and say a guy like Gordon Hayward who left after his Soph season at Butler, and was a lottery pick?

I would be really surprised if he did leave for the NBA early. But I've been surprised before. Even with Tolliver's solid Sr. season I never would have expected him to make an NBA roster, much less stick around for a few years.

Playing for his dad may keep him around for that extra year. Two ways to look at that. First what if they have a solid nucleus coming back for that 4th year? Might want to see how far they can take it. OR..what if by leaving he leaves his dad with an "empty cupboard"? May feel bad leaving pops high and dry.

Will be interesting to see how his career plays out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back