• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schreiber

You're probably right. Of course no one ever offered me this to play baseball, but a 10k bonus, maybe a 12k salary, and life in the minors wouldn't have me champing at the bit. I suppose it comes down to how much an individual wants to pursue the dream.

I also don't know what other details are included in the contract. For example, will the team pick up the student loan debt a player may have? Other incentives like that could make a huge difference.
Well, the alternative is zero bonus and then the 12k salary next year if he doesn't get drafted (like what happened to Miller this year).

The team typically won't pick up student loan debt, but would negotiate paying for future college which is why when a guy gets drafted out of high school he gets his bonus, salary, and his college paid for. Or he chooses college and gets only some of his school paid for in an attempt to strengthen his position in the draft.

Well, the alternative is zero bonus and then the 12k salary next year if he doesn't get drafted (like what happened to Miller this year).

The team typically won't pick up student loan debt, but would negotiate paying for future college which is why when a guy gets drafted out of high school he gets his bonus, salary, and his college paid for. Or he chooses college and gets only some of his school paid for in an attempt to strengthen his position in the draft.

True; but if that's the case, you are probably better off getting started on an actual career anyway.

You're probably right. Of course no one ever offered me this to play baseball, but a 10k bonus, maybe a 12k salary, and life in the minors wouldn't have me champing at the bit. I suppose it comes down to how much an individual wants to pursue the dream.

I also don't know what other details are included in the contract. For example, will the team pick up the student loan debt a player may have? Other incentives like that could make a huge difference.

At his age, the sooner he can get in a minor league system, the better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back