• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schreiber

I would not be surprised to lose Schreiber, Meyers, and Alvarado.
Starting to look like we may lose all 3 of them. Hohensee was the 4th I had brought up and if we lose him we are going to be hurting next year. That would be 5 starters you lose if you include Swanda. You can't recover from that in the B1G.

Starting to look like we may lose all 3 of them. Hohensee was the 4th I had brought up and if we lose him we are going to be hurting next year. That would be 5 starters you lose if you include Swanda. You can't recover from that in the B1G.

The B1G scholarship rules are nothing but retarded. Our program will never be able to compete on the big stage with those limitations. We could restock this year if we had B1G 12 rules, but we are totally hamstrung.

No reason to ever call for a coaching change or really any program wide changes until the conference gives programs a chance.

I would not be surprised to lose Schreiber, Meyers, and Alvarado.
Scott needs to stick around and get back his old ways. He went so late, where does he think he will end up? Looks like he would go to the minors.

Stick around Scott; you need more seasoning, indeed!

Anyhow, I was just going to come on and wish all you dad's a very Happy Father's Day!!

upload_2017-6-18_18-46-39.jpeg
upload_2017-6-18_18-46-59.jpeg
upload_2017-6-18_18-47-38.png
upload_2017-6-18_18-47-53.jpeg

It is always good to have choices!! :Wave:

Scott needs to stick around and get back his old ways. He went so late, where does he think he will end up? Looks like he would go to the minors.

Stick around Scott; you need more seasoning, indeed!
I think he is leaning he needs to go being drafted. You look at what happened with Ben Miller and Derek Burkamper who stuck around, and it's not good. All guys start in the minors anyway, so i'm sure that's not entering his mind.

Last edited:
I think he is leaning he needs to go being drafted. You look at what happened with Ben Miller and Derek Burkamper who stuck around, and it's not good. All guys start in the minors anyway, so i'm sure that's not entering his mind.
What is the signing bonus allotment for somebody drafted in the 26th round? Can't be too much.

What is the signing bonus allotment for somebody drafted in the 26th round? Can't be too much.
Probably 10k or so... the issue is, it's not about the money, it's about getting drafted at all. You don't take the draft spot you get this year, you have zero leverage next year as a senior when you have no other choice but to go MLB. You basically have all the pressure on your shoulders to do well and increase your draft spot. I feel it's one of the reasons Miller and Burkamper struggled so mightily early on.

Last edited:

MLB only assigns/slots picks from the first 10 rounds. After the 10th round, the teams can offer a bonus of up to $125,000; anything over that will count against a team's total bonus pool (which is essentially the sum of a teams pick values for the first 10 rounds). If a team doesn't utilize all of its pool by signing some for under slot value, it can spend the savings on the later picks; this is how the Red Sox could offer Ryan Boldt something like 1 million in the 21st rd out of high school.

I have no idea what Schreiber will be offered, but like *** said, I don't think it's going to be too much. Honestly, if it's only 10k, I think he would be better off coming back. A player definitely loses most leverage as a senior (that is largely how clubs can sign guys under slot value and save for later picks), but he would likely still get that kind of a bonus even after his senior year and could even improve his stock. If he is getting 50k+, he may be better off going as he stands to lose more. JMHO

Last edited:
MLB only assigns/slots picks from the first 10 rounds. After the 10th round, the teams can offer a bonus of up to $125,000; anything over that will count against a team's total bonus pool (which is essentially the sum of a teams pick values for the first 10 rounds). If a team doesn't utilize all of its pool by signing some for under slot value, it can spend the savings on the later picks; this is how the Red Sox could offer Ryan Boldt something like 1 million in the 21st rd out of high school.

I have no idea what Schreiber will be offered, but like *** said, I don't think it's going to be too much. Honestly, if it's only 10k, I think he would be better off coming back. A player definitely loses most leverage as a senior (that is largely how clubs can sign guys under slot value and save for later picks), but he would likely still get that kind of a bonus even after his senior year and could even improve his stock. If he is getting 50k+, he may be better off going as he stands to lose more. JMHO

I think he goes now no matter what. That's how I would advise him if he were my son.

I think he goes now no matter what. That's how I would advise him if he were my son.
You're probably right. Of course no one ever offered me this to play baseball, but a 10k bonus, maybe a 12k salary, and life in the minors wouldn't have me champing at the bit. I suppose it comes down to how much an individual wants to pursue the dream.

I also don't know what other details are included in the contract. For example, will the team pick up the student loan debt a player may have? Other incentives like that could make a huge difference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back