• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Scholarship limits and processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

we're back

Scout Team
5 Year Member
I don't following recruiting that much but am aware of the discussion regarding processing. I can understand why Nebraska might be averse to processing players out, thereby denying them scholarship status.

For those of you who do follow recruiting, would the NCAA ever consider something like this: schools might be allowed a limited number of "non-player" scholarships that could be given to recruited players who have not contributed as expected and likely won't. Perhaps there could be 1-2 non-player scholarships per class or a total number of say 8-10 at any one time.

As an alternative to transferring out, the player could stay in school and on scholarship without affecting the 85 scholarship limit.

I don't following recruiting that much but am aware of the discussion regarding processing. I can understand why Nebraska might be averse to processing players out, thereby denying them scholarship status.

For those of you who do follow recruiting, would the NCAA ever consider something like this: schools might be allowed a limited number of "non-player" scholarships that could be given to recruited players who have not contributed as expected and likely won't. Perhaps there could be 1-2 non-player scholarships per class or a total number of say 8-10 at any one time.

As an alternative to transferring out, the player could stay in school and on scholarship without affecting the 85 scholarship limit.

explain...seems to be a better option than processing out and processing out may be the only way to be competitive at the highest level.

I think if you gave teams an additional 10 scholarships. $EC teams would find a way to cheat even more. I envision 40 player recruiting classes...who knows what else.

The NCAA already sort of has something like this. It's called the medical exemption. Basically, a player is not cleared to play physically and their scholarship basically becomes an academic one in a sense. The scholarship doesn't count towards the 85, but the athletic department still pays for it. Alabama has been notorious for using the medical exemption on players to clear them out of their program. It can be difficult for players to get that status reversed if they want to transfer to another program and play.

Here's a little definition on the medical exemption.

A medical exemption can be given to an athlete who suffers an injury or illness that ends their career. It ensures that, for their remaining eligibility, they receive all the financial aid they would have received before the medical problem. A medical exemption does not count against the program's scholarship limit (for football, it is 85), but is still paid for from the program's budget. If the injury occurs during a season, that player still does count against the scholarship limit. Once the season ends, they can be moved to medical exemption and another scholarship is freed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back