• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scathing article on the CFP Semi's....thoughts?

This stuff is funny. It's exactly like some of us predicted, including the calls to expand the playoff.

We had a system in which every single regular season game mattered to contenders, because there were several bowl games that COULD have title implications. There was drama on New Year's Day, because the outcome of early games mattered to later games. While many bowl games were always consolation games, now every bowl game has been rendered meaningless.

The selection process is also flawed. We went from a system that included a wide variety of coaches, media, and even unbiased computer algorithms, to a system that includes just 13 people. Why do we think that 13 people are better suited to get it right?

The only good news is that Nebraska is poised to break the stranglehold.
The season is still just as, if not more, important as it always was.

No proponent of playoffs ever said that it will eliminate complaining and whining.

People that freak out about the idea of p5 conference champs might as well find another thing to freak out about....when it expands to 8 it WILL include the champs from the p5 schools.

And THAT will ensure that the regular season remains incredibly important.

The season is still just as, if not more, important as it always was.
It could be that my personal give-a-crap factor is low due to Nebraska being ineligible for even the toilet bowl again.

No proponent of playoffs ever said that it will eliminate complaining and whining.
Ehhh... disagree there.

I could dig a 6 team playoff that is conference champs only. The p5 then figure out a way to pick the best of the rest of the conference champs.

Win your division and you are basically in the playoffs. Talk about putting a major emphasis on the regular season! Teams that can't win their division? Tough...you had your chance.

That said I do favor 8 teams. The math works better for one....more games that matter is always a good think IMO. I also don't want to discourage teams from scheduling up in the noncon. In fact make noncon strength of schedule a major factor when selecting the at large teams. Played 3 d1aa teams? You might not make it over a team that played Washington on the road.

Either way...the idea of a committee pickingthe 8 "best teams" is silly...and it will never fly with the conferences so it's moot really

Last edited:
Some suggested it would be a cure-all for cfb. But in their defense, most of them were clamoring for at least 8 teams.
Even at 8 teams people are gonna whine. Then again weren't we also hearing that the whining....err...debate in the old system was a good thing?

And sure....SOME seasons there were more than 1 bowl game that impacted the title. But not all years. And under the BCS... not at all. More games that mean something is a good thing. The exhibition games will still be there so they'll be fine.

I'm not disagreeing with many of these if done all together. I have been very outspoken regarding automatic conference qualifiers into a CFP until the conferences are fixed. I believe conference equity is the number 1 issue with college football right now and am totally opposed to setting up a CFP around that. Anyone that wants to compare it to the NFL and their divisions and wild card system have to realize the NFL sets up every teams schedule to make it tougher for the teams that had a successful run and they control the process for roster development. Trying to do one without the other will just add to the inequities. Do we really want to put a 3 loss Washington up against Alabama thinking that would give us a better match up?

OK, let's use basketball terminology (at-large v. wild card) and let's put my example to work and use the 5 conference champs and 1 at-large qualifier. For the sake of argument, the CFP committee saw Michigan get wiped out (they're not in); Georgia lost to Alabama (they're not in); so the next team up is UCF and the teams will be ranked as follows:

1. Alabama (SEC)
2. *Clemson (ACC)
3. Oklahoma (Big 12)
4. Ohio St (Big 10)
5. Washington (Pac 12)
6. UCF (at-large)

First round match-ups would be UCF v. Oklahoma and Washington v. Ohio St is with Alabama and Clemson each get a first-round bye. Can you imagine UCF's offense against Oklahoma's defense - that would be fun as hell to watch.

I'm a huge college basketball fan and for discussions pertaining to who belongs and who doesn't, I simply look at the NCAA basketball tournament. Take last year for example, #16 UMBC 74 v. #1 Virginia 54. UMBC won by 20 points over the #1 team in the country. People are so accustomed to simply giving a team the eyeball test and say, "They should have been in the tourney." or "They suck and should never have been in." I say let them prove it on the field.

We don't need 12 or 16 teams in the CFP but 6 to 8 can work.

*For those wondering where Notre Dame is in this scenario... they belong in the ACC and would have been wiped out in the ACC conference championship game. Thank you Clemson.

Its the conferences that are choosing to make scholarships 4 years. If the B1G wants equity they should have never required that. You can't put that on the NCAA.

The NCAA is the governing body and could mandate 4/5 year scholarships. So, indirectly, yes, you can put that on the NCAA.

If the conferences individually will not universally prevent the student athletes from being abused by the system. Then it is the responsibility of the NCAA as a higher authority to step in and ensure they empower them to be protected.
First of all...….nobody is being abused. Stop over-dramatizing. Some students aren't performing and don't get their scholarships renewed. Many at their own choosing. Some players aren't contributing because of THEIR effort Just because one conference tries to do something different that is on them. It is NOT the NCAA's job to create parity for conferences that choose to put in rules above and beyond those that the NCAA have already applied. By that standard it would be like the B1G having to change their admission rules to match Northwestern's or the rest of the NCAA having to change their admission rules to match the Ivy League.

Some people just like to blame the NCAA for everything and they don't realize the NCAA doesn't set a single rule that isn't approved by the Universities. They are the governing unit FOR the universities. It is what the universities created to police themselves and if they Universities choose to allow leniency or disparity that is on the Universities for setting it up that way. This is not like the EPA, DOT or Osha making rules that the business's don't agree with. The NCAA is just a branch of the Universities designed to administrate the rules.

I miss how teams had identities. Different cultures. Some based on the coach. Some based on regional talent etc. Miami had the thug thing with a great aerial offense. Heisman qb’s. Oklahoma the wishbone. Nebraska the I formation triple option. The west coast had their individuality. The big 10. Etc etc.
the bowls gave you matchups on so many different levels.
The CFP didn’t single handedly end all that. But it sure isn’t helping.

The NCAA is the governing body and could mandate 4/5 year scholarships. So, indirectly, yes, you can put that on the NCAA.
All NCAA rules are approved by the Universities in some fashion or another. If and when the Universities as a whole are willing to vote on then it will happen.

OK, let's use basketball terminology (at-large v. wild card) and let's put my example to work and use the 5 conference champs and 1 at-large qualifier. For the sake of argument, the CFP committee saw Michigan get wiped out (they're not in); Georgia lost to Alabama (they're not in); so the next team up is UCF and the teams will be ranked as follows:

1. Alabama (SEC)
2. *Clemson (ACC)
3. Oklahoma (Big 12)
4. Ohio St (Big 10)
5. Washington (Pac 12)
6. UCF (at-large)

First round match-ups would be UCF v. Oklahoma and Washington v. Ohio St is with Alabama and Clemson each get a first-round bye. Can you imagine UCF's offense against Oklahoma's defense - that would be fun as hell to watch.

I'm a huge college basketball fan and for discussions pertaining to who belongs and who doesn't, I simply look at the NCAA basketball tournament. Take last year for example, #16 UMBC 74 v. #1 Virginia 54. UMBC won by 20 points over the #1 team in the country. People are so accustomed to simply giving a team the eyeball test and say, "They should have been in the tourney." or "They suck and should never have been in." I say let them prove it on the field.

We don't need 12 or 16 teams in the CFP but 6 to 8 can work.

*For those wondering where Notre Dame is in this scenario... they belong in the ACC and would have been wiped out in the ACC conference championship game. Thank you Clemson.
First of all I disagree with anything that utilizes conference tie-ins until they create parity within and amongst the conferences. So anything you say after that won't matter to me because its like taking a crumbling house and adding a coat of paint. The foundation still sucks and nobody will agree to the paint color.

All NCAA rules are approved by the Universities in some fashion or another. If and when the Universities as a whole are willing to vote on then it will happen.
NCAA would have to propose the rule first. I'd bet dollars to donuts the SEC and ACC would be outvoted.

NCAA would have to propose the rule first. I'd bet dollars to donuts the SEC and ACC would be outvoted.
Any single university can propose a rule to the NCAA. And I'm not sure they would be outvoted and I'm not sure they should. Put it this way......there are only X amount of Scholarships throughout Division 1. In general 85 for 129 teams minus military for roughly 11,000. Making scholarships 4/5 years does not create more opportunity for student athletes but actually stifles them. The ability to get a scholarship and then not put out the effort once you get in just ties up an opportunity for someone who wants to try. Can there be some nudging out of guys that are trying and not qualified? Yes.....but they usually find a home for them or a way to medical them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back