• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Saw this on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

For all the blame AD Eichorst gets in an effort to excuse Pelini's poor behavior, it's interesting to note that for most of Pelini's time at NU, the AD wasn't SE, it was Tom Osborne. Pelini's classless behavior didn't begin with ADSE. It didn't end with ADSE or Nebraska. It's part of who Bo is as a man.
You are correct the problem didn't start with ADSE.......the problem is that Pelini has a behavior problem that is "compounded" by stressful situations from people above him. They didn't start compounding under SE....they started compounding with Pearlman who was there the whole time Pelini was. SE just made it worse. There was no way that Pelini's temperament was going to work in that environment. I'm not sure how well Pelini's temperament will work in any environment. But I also doubt that Nick Sabin, Urban Meyer or Dabo Sweeney could work in that environment either. Even Scott Frost said he wouldn't have tried. SE probably hired one of the few coaches who would.

I don't think there is much doubt that the organization was a mess due to poor administrative leadership. Perlman and Eichorst did a very, very poor job of running the athletics department, in particular the football program.

Saying that Pelini was hired to represent the best interests of the university is overly simplistic. Yes, that is part of it. But the head coach (whomever it may be) is also expected to be responsible for the players and their development (academic or otherwise). Families entrust their sons to attend Nebraska with the expectation that the coaches will look out for them.

While the kids aren't directly paying the head coach's contract, there is still a responsibility to them. The most rewarding thing in athletics - beyond all the money - are the relationships developed within the team.

So there is some conflict there. Should coach blindly follow orders from the administration? Should he be blindly committed only to his players and staff? This is why it's not simply black and white. There needs to be a balance, and Pelini went to one extreme. Interestingly enough, Mike Riley went to the other extreme. He bent over for the (awful) administration, and that ended up being just as, if not more, disastrous for the program.

There are a lot of things that need to work well for a program to be successful. Fortunately, it appears that we now have the right people in place from the top down.

It only took a Callahan, Pelini and Riley to get there.:Eek:

You are correct the problem didn't start with ADSE.......the problem is that Pelini has a behavior problem that is "compounded" by stressful situations from people above him. They didn't start compounding under SE....they started compounding with Pearlman who was there the whole time Pelini was. SE just made it worse. There was no way that Pelini's temperament was going to work in that environment. I'm not sure how well Pelini's temperament will work in any environment. But I also doubt that Nick Sabin, Urban Meyer or Dabo Sweeney could work in that environment either. Even Scott Frost said he wouldn't have tried. SE probably hired one of the few coaches who would.

Agreed, for those that want to put everything on Pelini, keep in mind that Frost wouldn't consider coming here as long as Eichorst and Perlman were here.

I don't think you're wrong about Pelini's behavior being an issue that existed regardless of his AD (though I would disagree that his behavior was really that awful or out of the ordinary the overwhelming majority of the time - see Mark Richt and others). But I think that he was at least making an effort to learn to manage things better with Osborne as a mentor. With Eichorst, it became a wee-wee measuring contest... one that Bo would never win without producing championships. My guess is that Pelini could have been known as a "fiery" coach had Osborne remained a little longer, but Eichorst being in the big chair likely exacerbated the issue and allowed Pelini to go down as more than just "fiery."

With all that being said... it's still on Pelini. There is no doubt that every one of us deals with circumstances that are beyond our control. However, every one of us has the ability to choose how we react to those circumstances. Eichorst sucked, but nobody FORCED Pelini to respond the way he did, publicly or privately. Those were his choices, and his alone.

This is a good post.

What we have seen in Lincoln lo these many years is Exhibit A of why everyone from President to Chancellor to AD to head coach must be on the same page to build a championship-caliber football program.

NU has been the land of misfit toys for a long time. HP was hapless more than he was some kind of sinister General Palpatine. He was not fully invested in the idea that football is the front door to the university, and wasn't particularly concerned to see it knocked down a notch. I don't buy that he was actively trying to torpedo it though.

Stevie P. looked like the no-brainer hire of the century, but he gets the lion's share of blame for where NU is today. Eichorst should have never been an AD anywhere. I'm sure he's a respectable assistant/associate, but he couldn't lead a Golden Retriever to a ham sandwich.

Bo is going to struggle in a lot of places, because he is not a guy who wants to be told what to do....at all. Folks who like to carry his water blame Harvey for dressing him down after Texas A&M but if you read HP's comments, he called Bo's behavior "unfortunate" while also praising the upside of his passion. If public criticism that mild really sent Bo off the rails, that's on him. Toughen up, buttercup.

Bo and TO weren't exactly carrots and peas either. They clashed over what to do about Carl being Carl. Tapegate v. 1.0 happened under Tom's watch, and if you don't think Bo was looking for greener pastures as early as 2011, you are naive.

Anyway, the slate is totally clean and all hands seem to be on deck. And to paraphrase a quip from Bob Devaney, I'm with Frost...win or tie. I keed, I keed. There are no ties anymore. ;)

I agree with most of this as well.

I don't think you're wrong about Pelini's behavior being an issue that existed regardless of his AD (though I would disagree that his behavior was really that awful or out of the ordinary the overwhelming majority of the time - see Mark Richt and others). But I think that he was at least making an effort to learn to manage things better with Osborne as a mentor. With Eichorst, it became a wee-wee measuring contest... one that Bo would never win without producing championships. My guess is that Pelini could have been known as a "fiery" coach had Osborne remained a little longer, but Eichorst being in the big chair likely exacerbated the issue and allowed Pelini to go down as more than just "fiery."

With all that being said... it's still on Pelini. There is no doubt that every one of us deals with circumstances that are beyond our control. However, every one of us has the ability to choose how we react to those circumstances. Eichorst sucked, but nobody FORCED Pelini to respond the way he did, publicly or privately. Those were his choices, and his alone.
While I agree with most of what you wrote and it is very good, one has to remember it is alleged many networks had a camera poised on Bo for the obvious reasons.

Ok, my bad, he wanted to act like an Ass hat so he could get fired and have a better life for his family in Youngstown. I totally forgot that he's a family man.

His record at Youngstown St. is 23-15 and 13-11 in conference after three years. He is not that good of a head coach IMPO. Being an assistant is a different thing. He was a great D coordinator when he had the talent at Oklahoma, LSU and Suh & Crick when he started at NU. Tim Beck is also coaching at tOSU I think? Not sure he is still calling plays?

BTW, I Don't like Perlman either, but Bo is the reason he was fired. Is there "some" blame on HP or SE? yes, but Pelini's exit speech confirmed that Nebraska needed to move on.

Beck is the OC at Texas.

Both needed to move on. Both wanted out of a very toxic relationship. The end had to come when it did. No argument.

However, it's just disingenuous to uncouple his career goals and his family situation when he landed at YSU. Also, don't confuse or conflate your characterization of him, or his persona, with his other motivations as a person. He may be an ogre, but by all accounts is a very devoted father and husband. Dont know the guy, never met him.

Despite being fired in a volatile business, he ended up with an ideal situation for his family, and IMO would not put his kids through a move like that a second time for just "any job" or maybe, any job. He spoke about that all the time. He wanted his kids to stay in one place throughout HS, and that was interrupted by Perlman/Nebraska's decision to fire him. YSU job allowed him to both maximize his contractual gains and move his family "home." That's a huge win-win in Bo World, plus...much smaller fishbowl.

Now, maybe he leaves tomorrow and I'm wrong. Maybe he never does and you're right. Probably something in between

As much as I would like to believe that Bo was looking out for his players’ well-being and professional growth, in all likelihood he was just pissed.

I don’t think he was pissed. He hated SE, but he wanted out. He got his millions by getting fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back