• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Sam McKewon is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUSKERINWYO

Recruit
10 Year Member
Sm McKewon, according to his article on the HUSKERMAX home page (can't link), chooses Alabama as the number two over Okie State beacause of the loss by OSU to average Iowa State on the road. What Sam forgets is the tragic news that OSU woke up to that morning of the fact that two of their own from hte athletic dept, womens b-ball coach and assistant coach had died in a plane crash. Collegiate athletic departments are small "cliques" if you will and all though they might know each other very well, there is a certain kinship that is there for the struggles of playing major college sports with the class schedule, the practice schedule, the travel. Players and coaches understand the commitment and to hear that two of your own had died and the fact the university was shaken as a whole I would say played a lot into what could be considered a lackluster performance that night by okie light. It is easy to look at just what happens on the field and that is where voters should look. At the same time if you look at the fact that Alabama already had a chance to beat LSU on its home turf and didn't get it done and the fact that OSU had a lot more to deal with on the human side of college sports I say that OSU, with it thumping of the sooners, deserves the opportunity to stake its claim to the national title. Plus I am tired of the SEC but that is another story. What are your thoughts?

What Sam forgets is the tragic news that OSU woke up to that morning of the fact that two of their own from hte athletic dept, womens b-ball coach and assistant coach had died in a plane crash. Collegiate athletic departments are small "cliques" if you will and all though they might know each other very well, there is a certain kinship that is there for the struggles of playing major college sports with the class schedule, the practice schedule, the travel. Players and coaches understand the commitment and to hear that two of your own had died and the fact the university was shaken as a whole I would say played a lot into what could be considered a lackluster performance that night by okie light.

He did mention it in his article, so I assume he took it into account.

I saw last night on ESPN that Alabama only beat 3 teams with winning record this year. OSU beat 7. I agree with you, if bama and LSU play again and bama wins, they are 1-1 against each other for the season. How is it fair that bama gets a second chance to play LSU after a loss and LSU doesn't get that same chance?

I have a feeling that you will not see any side by side stats for OSU/Bama concerning opponents winning percentage, wins vs top 20 teams, etc. because it would be quite one-sided in favor of OSU.

ESPN can't have that.

Lucky for us Mckewon's vote has zero impact on which teams place in the BCS title game.

Last edited:

I generally like reading Sam's articles, but simply cannot agree with this one. Obviously, there are two ways to look at this situation: one that favors Alabama and one that favors Oklahoma State. I am firmly in the "Okie State over 'bama for the national title game" camp on this one. This season could serve to be somewhat appeasing to both the "leave the BCS alone" and "playoffs now" crowds. It's somewhat of a playoff with LSU beating 'bama to advance, and OSU beating OU to advance, but it's also the BCS working its "magic" to identify the two participants of the national championship game.

Alabama had their shot at home against LSU and fell short. OSU thrashed an OU team that was #1 for quite a while, apparently not deserving of it but still they were ranked there. I think OSU should have their crack at LSU, but they won't ask me. Never really thrilled with repeats, but especially for a national championship game.

Alabama first choice Okla St. Wouldn't be a bad game either. I do have a hard time imagining a national champ that lost to Iowa St.

I have a feeling that you will not see any side by side stats for OSU/Bama concerning opponents winning percentage, wins vs top 20 teams, etc. because it would be quite one-sided in favor of OSU.

ESPN can't have that.

Already did it. It was on last night. Of course it was after midnight eastern tome so maybe nobody saw it

I'll betcha an LSU/Bama game won't be as exciting as the B1G game last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back